For This to be a Special Year

THWG

Helluva Engineer
This is why I don't think UT will stand a chance, especially if we can get a few good stops or turnovers. If we can drive it up the middle with mills getting 125 plus yards it will be a long day for UT imo.
If Mills gets over 125 yards then I think that we win the game by at least 2 touchdowns.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If Mills gets over 125 yards then I think that we win the game by at least 2 touchdowns.
Agree. And by some of the comments of their fans, I haven't wanted to win a game more than this in a long time (minus UGA). I just don't see their D being good enough to stop us. Add this with them not having the greatest of O lines and losing some very good skilled position guys, idk if they will be clicking that early in the season.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
For me, any discussion about the D has to ask the question-- are we talking about the D of the first half of last year? Or, the D we had in our last-half season surge? IF only we could see an entire season of effort and production and scheme like that.

One player-- I am on board the Brandon Adams train. If he could get in shape and be disruptive, I believe some other guys would suddenly look better. Obviously, we have a personnel turnover at LB and a general need for that group to play better. But, again-- my perception is that they did play better in the second half of last year.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
For me, any discussion about the D has to ask the question-- are we talking about the D of the first half of last year? Or, the D we had in our last-half season surge? IF only we could see an entire season of effort and production and scheme like that.

One player-- I am on board the Brandon Adams train. If he could get in shape and be disruptive, I believe some other guys would suddenly look better. Obviously, we have a personnel turnover at LB and a general need for that group to play better. But, again-- my perception is that they did play better in the second half of last year.
IMO replacements for Gamble and Davis much more critical than who is playing QB. Our most pressing issue is DEFENSE!!!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The season at GT since CPJ will be determined by limiting turnovers. 2015 could have been 9-3 instead of 3-9 with 1 less turnover a game... Hold on the the ball and we roll.
I agree, but it takes the whole O to do this not just the guys totin' the rock. Holding onto the ball is a lot easier when you don't have the defense in your grill and you have time and space to operate. Offense is still primarily about blocking. That said, with a more experienced group of linemen and blocking skill players (everybody but the qb), I fully expect a great year of making pancakes starting with orange ones!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think our biggest DT production will come from Branch. I think he can equal or possibly better Gamble's presence.

Biggest need for improvement is from whoever wins that 2nd DT spot, be it Adams, Cerge, or Glanton. 2 guys disrupting plays in the interior DL would open everything up for us on that side.
Yea Branch is gonna be a baller

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Keeping injuries to a minimum is always a huge factor. We seem to have better depth but we need players like the Morgan twins to become strong backups to keep us going through times when starters get dinged up during the season.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I think our biggest DT production will come from Branch. I think he can equal or possibly better Gamble's presence.

Biggest need for improvement is from whoever wins that 2nd DT spot, be it Adams, Cerge, or Glanton. 2 guys disrupting plays in the interior DL would open everything up for us on that side.
I agree with you on Branch, but somebody has got to step up and replace our leading tackler PJD. If that's Victor, then he's the one taking the biggest step IMO.

Players need to make a jump. So does a coach or two.

Our second to third level handoffs and spacing in pass defense are too loose and I am convinced this is by design. Big holes for TE and slots. Needs to improve.

Our lb play is as bad as our de pass rush. Both need to improve.

On O the biggest need is most obvious at qb.

If the d gets better than last year and the qb is ok. We are a 9 win team.

I am not sure what the demarcation is between a good year and a special year, but nine wins in consecutive years would be very good. Is it nine wins in the regular season, or including a bowl game. If it is 9-3 for the regular season, it is, of course doable, but probably means we have to go 4-3 against the group of Tennessee, Clemson, Miami, Pittsburgh, UNC, VPI, and Georgia. Someday somebody is going to acknowledge our league has gotten pretty strong, and we play Georgia and Tennessee OOC.

This is why I don't think UT will stand a chance, especially if we can get a few good stops or turnovers. If we can drive it up the middle with mills getting 125 plus yards it will be a long day for UT imo.
What?? "don't think UT will stand a chance"? Admire the optimism, but Las Vegas would disagree. I think we need all of your points, i.e., stops, turnovers, and inside running game for us to have a chance. I might add in that Stewart and Jeune need to have five or six good catches combined on key downs. And we need to keep our defense off the field as much as possible. It will be warm.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What?? "don't think UT will stand a chance"? Admire the optimism, but Las Vegas would disagree. I think we need all of your points, i.e., stops, turnovers, and inside running game for us to have a chance. I might add in that Stewart and Jeune need to have five or six good catches combined on key downs. And we need to keep our defense off the field as much as possible. It will be warm.
When I say don't stand a chance I'm not talking about blowing them out. I just believe if we can start of where we needed last year we will win. Now that's a big IF of course but it's just my opinion. I have UT friends that are worried already and are glad I'm not going to the game with them incase we beat them. I probably could have worded what I said better.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Don't know I would consider 72 degrees warm since the roof will be closed ;) It will be considerably warmer outside even at 8!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There are lots of unanswered questions about UT Offense with a new QB. Will we be able to make adjustments to what they want to do on offense. PJ is good at making adjustments but at times I feel that our D is is staying vanilla. Will we pressure, will we disguise coverages? Time for Roof to prove his ability to manage a game. He is a good recruiter but seems to be very conservative on game day. We have got to cover the short throws. They may try to dink us with 3 and 4 yard stuff to control TOP with a new QB and that has been a problem for us. We seem to be willing to play off the LOS which makes those throws easier.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the main thing this year is to hope that Mills doesn't get injured. If he does we may not be able to replace him, albeit that both Quaid and Benson have looked ok in practice. Imho, we can't have a great year unless he is on the field and starting every game. Having a roughneck BB makes all the rest of the O work so much better.

Why no emphasis on D, you ask? Two reasons. First, I think we'll be improved marginally, even if nobody particularly steps up their game. Second, I've been hoping the D would come around for some time now and it hasn't happened. A good year has been slightly below average. Oth, if the O is clicking, then that's all we need to do pretty well. If we can get to an average D it would help, but what we really need is an O that is working.

We'll see soon enough.