For This to be a Special Year

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Which player on the team has to make the biggest jump?

In my mind it is Brandon Adams. He was the only DL last year to get meaningful push on the interior and hold his ground consistently. Many will look for a QB in order to answer the original question, but for my money, a firm interior of the defense is the ingredient we need. What say you?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Players need to make a jump. So does a coach or two.

Our second to third level handoffs and spacing in pass defense are too loose and I am convinced this is by design. Big holes for TE and slots. Needs to improve.

Our lb play is as bad as our de pass rush. Both need to improve.

On O the biggest need is most obvious at qb.

If the d gets better than last year and the qb is ok. We are a 9 win team.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We'll start to find out tomorrow.

Heard that pads are to be on and hitting will commence. Guess we'll find out if that is true tomorrow. Hope it is!

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

In my mind it is Brandon Adams. He was the only DL last year to get meaningful push on the interior and hold his ground consistently. Many will look for a QB in order to answer the original question, but for my money, a firm interior of the defense is the ingredient we need. What say you?
I agree on Adams and will add Cooper at center on O.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think the answer has to be on both lines, and I don't think if we're singling someone out it's Adams. While he can get his weight down and stamina up and be much more than a goal-line contributor, I don't think he could be an every down guy for us this year, and may only get a chance to play sparingly against the no-huddle spread teams who don't sub.

LB play is worthy of criticism, but much of that IMO is on the DL to do their job so they stick with their run-fits, and also for the DL to be able to get some pressure in the pass game so they don't get their lunch eaten against faster receivers and backs in coverage.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
D-line 1a, linebackers 1b. The whole front 7 needs to be an improvement from last year.

D-line need to see the return of Freeman and the emergence of Simmons. Then inside need guys to hold point of attack and cause some disruption.

LBers the two areas I hope to see improvement are blitzing (not directly into the waiting block) and play diagnosis in coverage. I think Mitchel knew the right thing to do but was thinking about it instead. Just better communication would help.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

First thing that came to mind was the DL, the first name was Antonio Simmons. If he can turn the QB hurries into sacks, that would be huge. I don't like the Adams answer though, and we might as well toss in the rest of the DL.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think our rush from our ends will be there if we can bolster the interior first. It all starts up front and from the inside out first imo.

I'll be content with improvements from everyone. :D

Hell I'd like to see a vast improvement from us fans in the stands. I'm hoping....I've seen a lot more Tech gear walking around lately (those that go in hiding when we are on a losing streak to the mutts are starting to slink out of their holes I think) I'm hoping it translates to more butts in the bleachers and a more involved game day crowd.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ is confident in the QBs, then I'm not worried about it. He said it's one of the positions he's least worried about.

IMO, it's all about the pass rush. If we can get pressure on the QB, and play the run strong on D, the offense is more than capable of doing what it's done pretty much every year under CPJ...grind out yards, suck time out of the opponents possessions, and put points on the board.

I think Simmons, Freeman, and Frenchie are going to be BIG time this year. I like Branch moving to the inside. Watch out for Terrell Lewis, and a couple of the freshmen. Speed and length at LB add some pressure. I think the DBs are seasoned enough to be good, they just need our front 7 to step up...and I think they will.

If our D can create turners ala 2014, and have more 3 and outs, our offense is more than capable of getting us to 9+ wins.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
QB - whomever it is. Probably MJ. It's the most important position on the field and you have to have it played well. Has to be able to pass the ball to keep defense honest. Has to be able to make the right decisions on offense. It's a team game so other players have to play well also but it is the the most important.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
G Bryan, C Cooper, G Braun - If they dominate as unit, Tech can control ball (TOP / Death marches) at will. Will make defense job easier.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think our biggest DT production will come from Branch. I think he can equal or possibly better Gamble's presence.

Biggest need for improvement is from whoever wins that 2nd DT spot, be it Adams, Cerge, or Glanton. 2 guys disrupting plays in the interior DL would open everything up for us on that side.

Agree on Branch. He is somewhat like Simmons and Lynch early on...under the radar for many even though some good play has already emerged. Branch has shown the ability to slip through the OL in pass rush and we might get some good push up the middle to compliment the outside push from the DEs.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
G Bryan, C Cooper, G Braun - If they dominate as unit, Tech can control ball (TOP / Death marches) at will. Will make defense job easier.
This is why I don't think UT will stand a chance, especially if we can get a few good stops or turnovers. If we can drive it up the middle with mills getting 125 plus yards it will be a long day for UT imo.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
For a special year we need the production we expect from the new punter, a good performance from the new PK, and virtual flawless performance from the new holder along with no long term injuries to the OL. I expect some improvement from the D but doubt that it rises to making the positive difference for a special year, but we can hope for a much improved pass rush which could raise the D to making this season special.