Football Study Hall on "Coaches who aren't good enough"

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Can you give us an example of overfunding in the non revenue sports?

In addition to examples, there would be questions about what is legally required. Title IX requires levels of funding for women's sports in comparison with funding for men's sports(I'm not an expert and don't know the exact requirements). The athletic association isn't a for profit entity and cannot apply funding to different sports, especially related to gender, based solely on the sports ability to generate revenue. Also, if GT were to cut some sports, it could potentially be taken out of Div. 1 FBS based on number of sports sponsored.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was once part of a task force at my college looking at establishing a football program. As part of that, we had an NCAA lady come down from Atlanta. We were well aware of Title 9 and didn't want to run afoul of the NCAA over that. (They look at that too? Yes.)

She applauded us for actually caring about women's sports and ratios of male/female athletes in our programs. She also said that her outfit had its hands full keeping track of Div 1. They usually didn't move on Div 3 programs unless there was a lawsuit or a direct, well substantiated complaint, but they worked overtime prying into Div 1 programs, especially football and its relationship to other sports.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
In addition to examples, there would be questions about what is legally required. Title IX requires levels of funding for women's sports in comparison with funding for men's sports(I'm not an expert and don't know the exact requirements). The athletic association isn't a for profit entity and cannot apply funding to different sports, especially related to gender, based solely on the sports ability to generate revenue. Also, if GT were to cut some sports, it could potentially be taken out of Div. 1 FBS based on number of sports sponsored.
I feel we should add soccer and lacrosse tha'ts two mens and womens sports. that would then allow us to take a look at some of the drain sports that have no revenue generation or popularity and remove them.

We'd also have a good place to grow kickers.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
"allow us to take a look at some of the drain sports that have no revenue generation or popularity and remove them."

So we want to add sports that won't generate revenue and we don't have room for all so that we can maybe remove other non revenue generating sports?

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Nonsense. The Institute doesn’t believe it should be Alabama on Saturday. It doesn’t care.

The AA, not Georgia Tech, runs the sports program. It is the AA that has to raise money, recruit, staff, market and organize grants for the S-As. And it is the AA that has made 100’s of crappy decisions. I was stunned to learn that only last year did the AA publish its first and only strategic plan.

It’s the AA folks. All Tech does is license the marks. That’s it.

Well they also withhold the Roll Call donor list from the AA, lets not leave that little factoid out

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well they also withhold the Roll Call donor list from the AA, lets not leave that little factoid out
If they withold the list, how do they add priority points for donating to roll call? They can't give points to roll call donors if they don't know who they are.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
The AA send their donor list to Roll Call and Roll call feeds them back the amount of only the Roll Call contributions. If you do not donate to the AA but donate to Roll Call, the AA never sees your name

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The AA send their donor list to Roll Call and Roll call feeds them back the amount of only the Roll Call contributions. If you do not donate to the AA but donate to Roll Call, the AA never sees your name
If that is the case, I don't know how much good it would do to have the list. A guy in the office next to mine has donated to roll call for almost thirty years. He feels it is a civic duty to donate to the school. He does not keep up with sports and I doubt he could make a current FB or hoops player. If the aa sent him a request, I'm sure he would ignore it. I believe if the roll call started giving a portion to athletics, he would stop donating and find a different way to donate to academics.

What irks me is that people on this board refuse to donate. If we are fans and we want the GTAA to have the resources to compete, then WE are the ones who should be making that happen. I'm tired of reading about who else, other than the fans, should be pulling the weight.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If that is the case, I don't know how much good it would do to have the list. A guy in the office next to mine has donated to roll call for almost thirty years. He feels it is a civic duty to donate to the school. He does not keep up with sports and I doubt he could make a current FB or hoops player. If the aa sent him a request, I'm sure he would ignore it. I believe if the roll call started giving a portion to athletics, he would stop donating and find a different way to donate to academics.

What irks me is that people on this board refuse to donate. If we are fans and we want the GTAA to have the resources to compete, then WE are the ones who should be making that happen. I'm tired of reading about who else, other than the fans, should be pulling the weight.

I realized this looks like I am saying that the roll call shouldn't send the list. They might have a good reason, but I can't think of what it would be. It might do some good if they do send it, but not as much good as if the fans actually did something instead of complaining that nobody else will.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I realized this looks like I am saying that the roll call shouldn't send the list. They might have a good reason, but I can't think of what it would be. It might do some good if they do send it, but not as much good as if the fans actually did something instead of complaining that nobody else will.

"The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in the stars but in ourselves." Unless of course, the Bard is talking about four and five star wide receivers, running backs, or defensive linemen.

What was different in 2009, or 2014?

2014, we got some great breaks that resulted in wins over GaSouthern and VPI. Butker's kick barely made it. We still managed to lose to Puke and UNC. But definitely got the bounces in 2014. No, that's not all - but it was the difference in a few Ws.