Football Study Hall on "Coaches who aren't good enough"

slugboy

Staff member
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...d-graham-texas-am-arizona-state-coaches-fired

The hook at the end:
When you find yourself stuck with a coach who is good but not good enough, the problem often isn’t him.
It’s infrastructure. It’s history. It’s program support. It’s something other than the head coach. But the head coach is the easiest thing to change, so schools follow the same fruitless road over and over and over again.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yep. I thought it was an upgrade to hire Coach, but I also considered it a real risk. Gailey hadn't beat Ugag, but most of the games were close and he went to a bowl every year. We are one of the few schools who have succeeded in hiring ourselves into a better position. Let's try real, real hard not to screw that up, shall we?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
2009 = Dwyer

2014 = JT working with a largely senior backfield, receivers, and - especially - OL. If TM had had a Days - Laskey combo, a stable of big, experienced ABs, Smelter/Waller to throw to, and the best OL in recent GT history things would have been different.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
2009 = Dwyer

2014 = JT working with a largely senior backfield, receivers, and - especially - OL. If TM had had a Days - Laskey combo, a stable of big, experienced ABs, Smelter/Waller to throw to, and the best OL in recent GT history things would have been different.
Recruiting...

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...d-graham-texas-am-arizona-state-coaches-fired

The hook at the end:
When you find yourself stuck with a coach who is good but not good enough, the problem often isn’t him.
It’s infrastructure. It’s history. It’s program support. It’s something other than the head coach. But the head coach is the easiest thing to change, so schools follow the same fruitless road over and over and over again.

This is our situation in a nutshell. The problem is the Institute and the people there who seem to honestly believe we can be the Ivy League during the week and Alabama on Saturday. Wholesale changes must be made in support for our program by the administration in curriculum, monetary support to enhance recruiting, and to support more and better assistants.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
2014? Those seniors were not even one of our top classes.
Georgia Tech doesn’t recruit for stars, bad recruitig isn’t of result of not getting 4-5 stars. Look at a guy like Synjyn Days on that 2014 team played 3 positions, how many of those guys do we have? It’s great to get players that look good on 247 Sports but our staff has struggled to land Offensive playmakers recently. Look at a Guy like Clinton Lynch he was a 2 Star, had a rough year but he’s our best playmaker. We need more guys like him. People think this new staff will bring in 4 stars, it won’t. It will help us find more perfect fits for us so we aren’t guessing with players like we have been.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech doesn’t recruit for stars, bad recruitig isn’t of result of not getting 4-5 stars. Look at a guy like Synjyn Days on that 2014 team played 3 positions, how many of those guys do we have? It’s great to get players that look good on 247 Sports but our staff has struggled to land Offensive playmakers recently. Look at a Guy like Clinton Lynch he was a 2 Star, had a rough year but he’s our best playmaker. We need more guys like him. People think this new staff will bring in 4 stars, it won’t. It will help us find more perfect fits for us so we aren’t guessing with players like we have been.
My point was the 14 class wasnt better recruits imo. It was just senior heavy with a very very good QB. I also don't think a new staff will get us all these 4 and 5 star guys but I do think adding staff will help with probably getting more 4 star guys.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is our situation in a nutshell. The problem is the Institute and the people there who seem to honestly believe we can be the Ivy League during the week and Alabama on Saturday. Wholesale changes must be made in support for our program by the administration in curriculum, monetary support to enhance recruiting, and to support more and better assistants.

Nonsense. The Institute doesn’t believe it should be Alabama on Saturday. It doesn’t care.

The AA, not Georgia Tech, runs the sports program. It is the AA that has to raise money, recruit, staff, market and organize grants for the S-As. And it is the AA that has made 100’s of crappy decisions. I was stunned to learn that only last year did the AA publish its first and only strategic plan.

It’s the AA folks. All Tech does is license the marks. That’s it.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Nonsense. The Institute doesn’t believe it should be Alabama on Saturday. It doesn’t care.

The AA, not Georgia Tech, runs the sports program. It is the AA that has to raise money, recruit, staff, market and organize grants for the S-As. And it is the AA that has made 100’s of crappy decisions. I was stunned to learn that only last year did the AA publish its first and only strategic plan.

It’s the AA folks. All Tech does is license the marks. That’s it.

Can only say that the GTAA Board of Trustees is chaired by the President of the Institute, it has 9 Faculty members on the Board, and (unbelievably to me) has 3 Alumni and 3 Student members. Yes sir, you just know those students have a ton of real life experience comparable to the business world experience more alumni members could bring.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Can only say that the GTAA Board of Trustees is chaired by the President of the Institute, it has 9 Faculty members on the Board, and (unbelievably to me) has 3 Alumni and 3 Student members. Yes sir, you just know those students have a ton of real life experience comparable to the business world experience more alumni members could bring.
Bingo. It’s the Institute. The GTAA has had its issues, but if we seriously want to compete, you can’t wring tons more money out of the same names to elevate things.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

It is the fans who believe we should be Alabama on Saturday on a slightly better than Duke budget in the middle of SEC country.

It is an arms race that we are going to have extreme difficulty competing in.