Football Study Hall 130 Team Preview

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
They do the order from the bottom up from how teams did last year in S&P.

Next three should Be Pitt, GT and Duke

slugboy

Staff member
He just posted Pitt.
And losing to UVA in Charlottesville last year looks even worse when you look at the UVA preview and analysis of last year's team. Here's hoping that the defense and special teams have a solid improvement this year.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
He just posted Pitt.
And losing to UVA in Charlottesville last year looks even worse when you look at the UVA preview and analysis of last year's team. Here's hoping that the defense and special teams have a solid improvement this year.
Fun fact: in S and P last year (Bills rankings) the offense and defense were ranked within 5 places of each other with both ranked in the 60s. Special teams were bottom 20. Offense needed to Be Better last year with the heavy offensive power the triple option needs to be.

slugboy

Staff member
Fun fact: in S and P last year (Bills rankings) the offense and defense were ranked within 5 places of each other with both ranked in the 60s. Special teams were bottom 20. Offense needed to Be Better last year with the heavy offensive power the triple option needs to be.
I brought up Defense because UVA was awful on offense last year, and we still gave up too many points. But you're right about the offense last year. In 2016, it ranked #44 (better enough to get us to 9-4, with a #22 special teams ranking), and in 2014 offense was #4.
Offense I'm sure we can turn around.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m a little perplexed by the NC review.

It has Tech as the 53 ranked team with NC looking at a 56% chance of winning while Virginia is ranked 73rd and Syracuse 71, yet they have a slightly better chance at beating NC. Is home field good enough to make up 20 ranking spots ?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I’m a little perplexed by the NC review.

It has Tech as the 53 ranked team with NC looking at a 56% chance of winning while Virginia is ranked 73rd and Syracuse 71, yet they have a slightly better chance at beating NC. Is home field good enough to make up 20 ranking spots ?

Maybe the writer has an inside scoop on which game Bad Tech will show up...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's out: https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ia-tech-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster.
He likes Nate Woody. Still a brutal schedule, though.

It's a good write-up. I think he's a little too pessimistic. After showing that Nate Woody had significantly better Def S&P+ at App St then Roof at GT, he predicts no real improvement on Def S&P+ (from #66 in '17 to #65 proj. for '18). He's projecting we go from #61 to #40 in Off S&P+ which is reasonable and would be our best since we were #4 in 2014.

I really think that our Def will be much better. Our secondary is inexperienced, but as he's said, we've got some decent talent. I think we have some nice balance between talent and experience in our front 7. I will be shocked and disappointed if our Def S&P+ is ranked in the 50's or 60's.

He didn't really discuss how many OL we RS'd last year. I'm hoping that we'll have greater playable depth. With the number of skill guys coming back, I really expect our O to click. I won't be surprised to see our S&P+ ranking to be in the 20's or better.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I hope the ol coach has a great year. For this to happen he will need injury free year and some great calls by Coach.

I worry the other teams DC s have ways to camo their defense. They had to do something after 14.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a good write-up. I think he's a little too pessimistic. After showing that Nate Woody had significantly better Def S&P+ at App St then Roof at GT, he predicts no real improvement on Def S&P+ (from #66 in '17 to #65 proj. for '18). He's projecting we go from #61 to #40 in Off S&P+ which is reasonable and would be our best since we were #4 in 2014.

I really think that our Def will be much better. Our secondary is inexperienced, but as he's said, we've got some decent talent. I think we have some nice balance between talent and experience in our front 7. I will be shocked and disappointed if our Def S&P+ is ranked in the 50's or 60's.

He didn't really discuss how many OL we RS'd last year. I'm hoping that we'll have greater playable depth. With the number of skill guys coming back, I really expect our O to click. I won't be surprised to see our S&P+ ranking to be in the 20's or better.
S&P+ just looks at returning production and a little fudge for recruiting rank on guys that didn't play much. New schemes are not accounted for, as far as I know.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
S&P+ just looks at returning production and a little fudge for recruiting rank on guys that didn't play much. New schemes are not accounted for, as far as I know.

S&P+ is a descriptive stat, reporting how successful a squad has been, so it doesn't make sense to say that it looks at returning production etc. Now, if your point is that that's what Bill Connelly does when projecting the next year's S&P+, well fair enough. Since he talked about the new DC and his Def S&P+ at App St, I think he could've used that info in projecting GT's Def S&P+.

That he did not do that is a given, but that's why I think his projection is ultimately pessimistic.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Paul Johnson’s Georgia Tech is building for the future, but we’ll see if he reaches it

The Yellow Jackets face a murderous schedule and might need another year for a great young defensive coordinator to figure things out.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Head coach: Johnson (76-54, 11th year)

2017 record and S&P+ ranking: 5-6 (73rd)

Projected 2018 record and S&P+ ranking: 5-7 (53rd)

Five key points:

1. Since winning 11 games in 2014, Tech has played below the ACC average for three straight years.
  2. Johnson just signed his best recruiting class in years and might have nailed his defensive coordinator hire, bringing in former App State DC Nate Woody.
  3. Woody could find some disruptive pieces, but they’ll probably be pretty young. It might take him a year to figure things out.
  4. The offense should have all the health and experience it lacked last season. We’ll find out how good QB TaQuon Marshall is — last year was inconclusive.
  5. The schedule features four likely losses, two likely wins, and six games projected within eight points. A decent year is possible, but a big season will have to wait.
Link
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ia-tech-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson’s Georgia Tech is building for the future, but we’ll see if he reaches it

The Yellow Jackets face a murderous schedule and might need another year for a great young defensive coordinator to figure things out.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Head coach: Johnson (76-54, 11th year)

2017 record and S&P+ ranking: 5-6 (73rd)

Projected 2018 record and S&P+ ranking: 5-7 (53rd)

Five key points:

1. Since winning 11 games in 2014, Tech has played below the ACC average for three straight years.
  2. Johnson just signed his best recruiting class in years and might have nailed his defensive coordinator hire, bringing in former App State DC Nate Woody.
  3. Woody could find some disruptive pieces, but they’ll probably be pretty young. It might take him a year to figure things out.
  4. The offense should have all the health and experience it lacked last season. We’ll find out how good QB TaQuon Marshall is — last year was inconclusive.
  5. The schedule features four likely losses, two likely wins, and six games projected within eight points. A decent year is possible, but a big season will have to wait.
Link
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ia-tech-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster
:vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
While I may be putting too much pressure on the D, I think the simplicity of the D will help speed up the curve. Tenuta had the D humming pretty early on coming off of passive Roof Ds.

And DB experience is a bit of a misnomer, IMO. For the most part, you've either got it or you don't at that position. Experience helps, but if you can't keep up, scheme isn't really going to help you. Now, I do understand there is a bit of a difference between a man CB and a zone CB. We've recruited pretty good in the defensive backfield, so that's a lower worry on D.

I'm more worried about the NT position. CPJ and CNW didn't give me the warm fuzzy on that position, which is a pretty key facet on what we're going to do on defense.

On O, the 2nd year is when our QBs have felt comfortable on the pitch historically, outside of JT who seemed to get it from the beginning. Even Jaybo, who had been running it in HS, played pretty similar to Quon last year.