Football Q&A thread

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
1. Who else could get looks at Tackle?
2. Who had a good scrimmage on the DLine, particularly the DE's?
3. How do the WR's look?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
3. How do the WR's look?

1. Everyone to be honest...CPJ said today in the audio that the best 5 lineman will be the ones that play. Only two that are in stone in my mind are O'Reily and Mason.

2. Haven't heard anything on them...I know that as a group they had a good game and I was told by someone that they have been surprised from what they have seen from Stargel so far.

3. Hurt. Waller, Smelter, Jeune, Autry are all hurt as of now.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
1. Everyone to be honest...CPJ said today in the audio that the best 5 lineman will be the ones that play. Only two that are in stone in my mind are O'Reily and Mason.

2. Haven't heard anything on them...I know that as a group they had a good game and I was told by someone that they have been surprised from what they have seen from Stargel so far.

Are any of the WR injuries to be concerned about this Summer?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

I hope the freshman are putting in work cause they may have a big chance in playing on the OL.

Wasn't Stargel recruited to be an ILB by Groh?

Wow. Messick? Summers?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I hope the freshman are putting in work cause they may have a big chance in playing on the OL.

Wasn't Stargel recruited to be an ILB by Groh?

Wow. Messick? Summers?

Will be hard to a OL to get time...they have to be really good ala a Shaq Mason. My gut says that Stickler will get time though.

Yes he was.

Those are the two we have right now.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I posted this in another thread but seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle, but,

With the coaching staff still remaining in tact this far after 2014 signing day, is it safe to assume there most likely won't be any staff turnover this year? I know there were rumors CAM could be leaving for a better position a while back on this board but doesn't seem anything has matriculated. And I remember reading that CPJ sat down with Sewak to clearly go over expectations and he doesn't expect Sewak to be leaving.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
What do you expect the pecking order to be at WR once we have everyone elligible and healthy? Will Waller and Autry regain their positions as getting the most opportunities behind Smelter or will a guy like Summers be rewarded for being a guy you can count on? Where will the younger guys fit - Jeune/Messick? Who do you think shows the most longterm game-impacting potential behind Smelter?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
How is Travin Henry handling the transition to DE? Is JHD still playing DE or is he back to LB?

He is still very raw, hard to tell what we have in him yet but I posted in another thread that I think he will be a guy that gets playing time down the line. He has the body and the passion for defense.

They are wanting for JHD to win the DE job because if he doesn't then he isn't going to be on the field much...at DE most of the time.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I posted this in another thread but seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle, but,

With the coaching staff still remaining in tact this far after 2014 signing day, is it safe to assume there most likely won't be any staff turnover this year? I know there were rumors CAM could be leaving for a better position a while back on this board but doesn't seem anything has matriculated. And I remember reading that CPJ sat down with Sewak to clearly go over expectations and he doesn't expect Sewak to be leaving.

Shouldn't be any now, which before NSD I would have almost guaranteed there would have been some changes.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
What do you expect the pecking order to be at WR once we have everyone elligible and healthy? Will Waller and Autry regain their positions as getting the most opportunities behind Smelter or will a guy like Summers be rewarded for being a guy you can count on? Where will the younger guys fit - Jeune/Messick? Who do you think shows the most longterm game-impacting potential behind Smelter?

My Guess

Smelter
Waller
Summers
Autry
Jeune
Messick
Dennis
Searcy

I expect Summers to make a bit of a jump this year and solidify himself as one of our best WR's..

As for the the longterm impact part it has to be Jeune...He has shown a lot to our coaches and they really like what they have in him. I expect him to be a starter in the 2015 season.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
A few weeks ago, PJ said in an interview that there were going to be changes or tweaks to the offense (can't exactly remember the wording) and that the average Georgia Tech fan would definitely notice it. Do you think it's the hurry up, no huddle package that was seen in the scrimmage?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Any injury info on J Thomas who appeared to injure his left arm/shoulder late in the Saturday scrimmage? Not counting the exhausted OL anybody else banged up Saturday? Any word on the previously injured who may return for the Spring Game?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Haven't heard any word on JT yet.

Gamble, Smelter and Waller all practiced today so they will be ready to go Friday (barring another injury)

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
3. How do the WR's look?

Dont etch O'Reily yet. Didnt he just get bumped to second team....

GT_Johnnybodkin

Jolly Good Fellow
Eric, what is your opinion on Paul Johnson? Do you think he should be our coach? Do you like our offense (as in enjoy watching)?

I love Tech football- however, i've been getting more and more apathetic towards our program under his tenure. I don't find the TO fun to watch with our current roster.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I love Tech football- however, i've been getting more and more apathetic towards our program under his tenure. I don't find the TO fun to watch with our current roster.

I certainly agree that for much of last year, the games were just flat out painful to watch. I thought the bowl game was just awful and was boring to watch - but the beer tasted mighty good. I hope that we can get back some of the energy and excitement that the offense has shown in the past.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric, what is your opinion on Paul Johnson? Do you think he should be our coach? Do you like our offense (as in enjoy watching)?

I will answer this when I'm not on mobile, so I can go in depth a little.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

1. What is my opinion on Paul Johnson? Okay, to be clear I like Paul Johnson overall and think he is one of the brilliant offensive minds in the business. I have always been a fan of his and have watched a ton of his games from his prior stops at GSU and Navy. I like the guy overall.

2. Do you think he should be our coach? Even though I like Paul Johnson I am not sure where I stand on this subject. I am really on the fence and leaning toward the no side. Even though I think Paul Johnson is a great offensive mind, as a HC he is over the whole team and the results all fall on his shoulders. I think he made one bad hire in Wommack and a terrible hire in Groh. He has had some poor recruiting class along the way with some bad misses (and bad luck)...The other big issue for me is QB development. I thought this would be a issue for strength where as it has been far from it. But my biggest issue is sticking with Mike Sewak so long...I have talked to a ton of people around the program and they all want him gone...With all of that said after looking at the situation I think it is the right move for him to have 2014. If he has another 7 win season then I think he has to go...I am pulling for him though and want to see him succeed.

3. Do you like our offense? (enjoy watching it) ...I am a little biased because I love option football and I watch all option teams, so yes I do enjoy watching our offense. But it hasn't been as fun lately...The VT game last year was the first time watching a option offense for me and saying wow this is boring...not a fun moment. I can see your position.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
1. What is my opinion on Paul Johnson? Okay, to be clear I like Paul Johnson overall and think he is one of the brilliant offensive minds in the business. I have always been a fan of his and have watched a ton of his games from his prior stops at GSU and Navy. I like the guy overall.

2. Do you think he should be our coach? Even though I like Paul Johnson I am not sure where I stand on this subject. I am really on the fence and leaning toward the no side. Even though I think Paul Johnson is a great offensive mind, as a HC he is over the whole team and the results all fall on his shoulders. I think he made one bad hire in Wommack and a terrible hire in Groh. He has had some poor recruiting class along the way with some bad misses (and bad luck)...The other big issue for me is QB development. I thought this would be a issue for strength where as it has been far from it. But my biggest issue is sticking with Mike Sewak so long...I have talked to a ton of people around the program and they all want him gone...With all of that said after looking at the situation I think it is the right move for him to have 2014. If he has another 7 win season then I think he has to go...I am pulling for him though and want to see him succeed.

3. Do you like our offense? (enjoy watching it) ...I am a little biased because I love option football and I watch all option teams, so yes I do enjoy watching our offense. But it hasn't been as fun lately...The VT game last year was the first time watching a option offense for me and saying wow this is boring...not a fun moment. I can see your position.

Eric,
Well stated and very fair.