Football Q&A thread

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
By God, this years VT game we need to be ready and able to take advantage of them trying to jump the snap count so aggressivly

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Tell me a little about the Kevin Robins kid. Haven't seen much on him but several are high on him.

Robbins committed to Tech under Al Groh as a 3-4 OLB but stayed with GT after Coach Roof took over...he came in as a DE. Hes around 6'3 255 pounds last I heard.. He will get his shot in the Spring and Fall to earn some playing time.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The VT game was all about our lack of composure and execution. Was Vad tipping off the snap count? I don't know, but I am sure something was tipping it off. We want to focus on the OL instinctively as the problem, but if you watch the tape, their DL was in forward motion towards the gaps before our OL could move (waiting for snap). They timed us up pretty good and when we tried to change the cadence everything went to he11. I don't know who exactly to blame, but it is a lot to ask of an OL with wide splits to handle DLs or blitzing DBs getting the early jump.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Robbins committed to Tech under Al Groh as a 3-4 OLB but stayed with GT after Coach Roof took over...he came in as a DE. Hes around 6'3 255 pounds last I heard.. He will get his shot in the Spring and Fall to earn some playing time.

I think he is taller than 6'3". He is taller than Gotsis.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Please explain.

Bud has made reading the stance of particular linemen an integral part of his defense. Attached are the principles he teaches his defense (from his playbook) for reference. I won't say he was giving the exact play away, but the defense was able to determine who he was going to block pre-snap, and make adjustments based off of him. His eyes were locked on his man, and when that man was not a lineman that was shaded to him they knew where the play was going. When the tackles are afraid at getting beat they focus heavily on trying to get their block. If the defense can recognize this fast enough and swarm to the playside, they get the numbers advantage. Couple this with our inability to vary the snap count, and inability to make quick reads led to a long day.

upload_2014-2-11_7-32-21.png

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Bud has made reading the stance of particular linemen an integral part of his defense. Attached are the principles he teaches his defense (from his playbook) for reference. I won't say he was giving the exact play away, but the defense was able to determine who he was going to block pre-snap, and make adjustments based off of him. His eyes were locked on his man, and when that man was not a lineman that was shaded to him they knew where the play was going. When the tackles are afraid at getting beat they focus heavily on trying to get their block. If the defense can recognize this fast enough and swarm to the playside, they get the numbers advantage. Couple this with our inability to vary the snap count, and inability to make quick reads led to a long day.

View attachment 152
GREAT point--also I remember seeing a still shot of our OFF team shot from the rear and above in somegame .Everyone of the linemen was lined up differently.The only one thst was straight and balanced was Shaq I believe.The rest were leaning one way or other, unbalanced either front or back,and were either high or low.SOMEONE had to be giving the play away.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

View attachment 152
There is a strong possibility you are correct here. I'll say this much, VT looked as if they knew what plays were coming much of the time. The slow motion film screening is very revealing. I don't know the source of the info, but they jumped snaps and gaps all game long and a team shouldn't be able to do that. When they are moving before the ball, there is not a lot an OL can do.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
There is a strong possibility you are correct here. I'll say this much, VT looked as if they knew what plays were coming much of the time. The slow motion film screening is very revealing. I don't know the source of the info, but they jumped snaps and gaps all game long and a team shouldn't be able to do that. When they are moving before the ball, there is not a lot an OL can do.
B,
If my impression was true,it is a DAMNING indictment of Sewak and PJ.
At best ,it was sloppy.

B,
If my impression was true,it is a DAMNING indictment of Sewak and PJ.
At best ,it was sloppy.
The attachment is hardly earth-shaking, cutting edge teaching. And it is easily counteracted by well coached, well conceived offensive line play. I would imagine there isn't a OL coach in the top 100 programs that is not aware of and doesn't coach masking techniques to their players. For Pete's sake, sometimes we give Bud Foster way too much credit. Yes, he has beaten us like a red-headed stepchild, but most of the time he's coaching superior athletes to ours.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The attachment is hardly earth-shaking, cutting edge teaching. And it is easily counteracted by well coached, well conceived offensive line play. I would imagine there isn't a OL coach in the top 100 programs that is not aware of and doesn't coach masking techniques to their players. For Pete's sake, sometimes we give Bud Foster way too much credit. Yes, he has beaten us like a red-headed stepchild, but most of the time he's coaching superior athletes to ours.

Keep in mind Chamberlain was more or less forced into action due to injuries. So I cannot lay a lot of blame on him, as he may have not been ready for action. Give them credit they studied our sets, knew our tendencies, and were able to make us look silly. There advantage would have been mitigated if we could have went on two, or made the correct reads.

Keep in mind Chamberlain was more or less forced into action due to injuries. So I cannot lay a lot of blame on him, as he may have not been ready for action. Give them credit they studied our sets, knew our tendencies, and were able to make us look silly. There advantage would have been mitigated if we could have went on two, or made the correct reads.
It is almost like you are suggesting that they were prepared ahead of time, and were ready to play. Interesting concept.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just did a quick review of the VT game.

1. We lost due to VT taking advantage of our hard snap count and our inability to change up the snap count without going offsides.
2. They also have excellent defensive linemen, they sold out on the run, and we could not make them pay in the air.
3. The other factor was the turnover margin with a turnover near our goal (they played a very safe game).

They did not always time the snap count and they did at times moved/flowed in the wrong direction at the start of a play. No magic read your mind every time here.

Hard to rewrite history when you have it on tape...

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The DE for VT was reading Chamberlain, and signaling either the Safety or LB (i am not sure which) watch their early rotation on plays to that side. Were they always right? Nope, but there was a read taking place.