Football Q&A thread

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I believe that is a fair assessment.

I just think we lost due to not being ready on alternate snap counts, being out maned in the trenches, and not being able to make them pay for selling out on the run.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
Well coached teams are going to be able to defend against the GT offense because they spend the majority of their time preparing for just a few plays that are run to both sides of the field. Just like Vad Lee said in his interview as he was traveling to JMU, when you play against ACC teams that have NFL caliber talent, it is hard to fool them when you have run the same offensive plays for the last 6 years!

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Well coached teams are going to be able to defend against the GT offense because they spend the majority of their time preparing for just a few plays that are run to both sides of the field. Just like Vad Lee said in his interview as he was traveling to JMU, when you play against ACC teams that have NFL caliber talent, it is hard to fool them when you have run the same offensive plays for the last 6 years!

Sounds like a gross oversimplification to me.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

In 2011 and 2012, our offense did well enuf for us to win 10 games, imo. In 2013, QB play was the biggest problem. When we can run our base offense again we'll do fine.

What you seem to be missing is that we're not trying to fool folk, primarily. The premise of the option is to outnumber the D so the ball carrier runs free.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
In 2011 and 2012, our offense did well enuf for us to win 10 games, imo. In 2013, QB play was the biggest problem. When we can run our base offense again we'll do fine.

What you seem to be missing is that we're not trying to fool folk, primarily. The premise of the option is to outnumber the D so the ball carrier runs free.

This! We did see a lot of misdirection last year, but that was because we could not run the option. If we can run the option it does not really matter if they know it is coming. Worst case should be a one on one situation.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree. The offense for Tech has been good enough to win 10 games a year since CPJ came here, 2013 being the sole exception IMO. I feel the staff is now set to maximize our potential in all 3 phases of the game. We get a few studs into the program and we will make hay. Can't wait for spring practices to start up....fall ball seems so far away.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
The best Triple Option team I have seen over the years was with the Oklahoma Sooners. However, it soon caught up with them. Any offense that is repetitive will eventually be stopped by the defenses. Offenses must keep evolving to stay ahead of the defense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I agree. The offense for Tech has been good enough to win 10 games a year since CPJ came here, 2013 being the sole exception IMO. I feel the staff is now set to maximize our potential in all 3 phases of the game. We get a few studs into the program and we will make hay. Can't wait for spring practices to start up....fall ball seems so far away.

So you feel this up coming team is as talented as the one in 2009?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So you feel this up coming team is as talented as the one in 2009?
I think we are deeper. Don't think we have the same level of big time playmakers a'la Dwyer, D. Thomas, M. Burnett, Derrick Morgan. I can't see into the future though so maybe we do and I don't know it. We get a few of those types in and we will scare the hell out of people IMO.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we are deeper. Don't think we have the same level of big time playmakers a'la Dwyer, D. Thomas, M. Burnett, Derrick Morgan. I can't see into the future though so maybe we do and I don't know it. We get a few of those types in and we will scare the hell out of people IMO.
I agree. But even though our top 8 players are not as good as those in '09, the other 77 players are better.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
The talent is there for GT. It just has to be used!! Too many athletes don't touch the field or are used in the wrong way. For example, No way an A Back can run pass routes as well as our recievers.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The talent is there for GT. It just has to be used!! Too many athletes don't touch the field or are used in the wrong way. For example, No way an A Back can run pass routes as well as our recievers.
Not sure what you're suggesting should be done differently. Are you saying we should put WR's in at AB on passing plays?

I thought Robbie Godhigh and Bostic (And Orwin and Peeples before them) were as good or better than most of our WR's in the passing game.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Is Tech better overall this year than last year in material? It remains to be seen. From my view, there are two items which will be the key to this year. One is on offense and one is on defense. Personally, I think the material is just as good this year, possibly slightly better. The offense should be better due to an option type quarterback playing the position, assuming we still play the option this year.

The second item is the 3rd and long plays on defense. If Roof does not make an effort to stop the 3rd down passes by playing the defenders inside or alongside the receivers and receivers out of the backfield, it will be another long year.

We should be in sync more on offense, and the defense is still questionable on third down pass plays, although I see n0 dropoff in material.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The offense should be better due to an option type quarterback playing the position, assuming we still play the option this year.

Vad will still be in an option based system btw. Not sure him not being an option type quarterback fits here.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
From my view, there are two items which will be the key to this year. One is on offense and one is on defense.
Whoa Nostradamus you're really going out on a limb here.

I'm ok with with how we play 3rd and long, it sure beats 3rd and short plays. IMO a bigger need is to limit the 3rd and long on the O side.