Football Players Stipends

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Is 2016 the year that football players will receive payments for play? If I remember correctly the players will receive their money after their careers are over ? Does anyone have the figure that Tech is going to pay? I'm still not sure this system is going to work.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
It sucks how they calculate it, for some reason the "cost of living" in Auburn or Knoxville is twice as high as Atlanta...I still have no idea how that works. It really should be standardized across all schools.
We've been fighting that for decades in the graduate programs. My program gives $25,200 stipends a year while schools in the middle of nowhere give out more. That $200 is the raise they recently gave us after long negotiations. It's been a struggle finding a one bedroom apartment for $900 max in Atlanta. $1800 for football covers your $776 parking pass and about $90 a month for food.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We've been fighting that for decades in the graduate programs. My program gives $25,200 stipends a year while schools in the middle of nowhere give out more. That $200 is the raise they recently gave us after long negotiations. It's been a struggle finding a one bedroom apartment for $900 max in Atlanta. $1800 for football covers your $776 parking pass and about $90 a month for food.
Room and board isn't already included in a football scholarship?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Room and board isn't already included in a football scholarship?
I was just arguing cost of living. In Atlanta, you should get a far higher stipend than other schools not in a big city. I was using my situation as a comparison point and also illustrating that the Institute is unlikely to budge from their set value. While room and board are included with a football scholarship, the additional $1800 isn't much when you consider extraneous costs. The stipend's intention, I believe, was to cover things like food for athletes. This doesn't do much.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It sucks how they calculate it, for some reason the "cost of living" in Auburn or Knoxville is twice as high as Atlanta...I still have no idea how that works. It really should be standardized across all schools.

I think the CoL number is calculated for some other use and repurposed for the stipend. There might be a reason why schools calculate it differently which is unrelated to football.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm confused--What exactly is the stipend suppose to cover?
http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2015-09-03/cost-attendance-qa

Q: Do all college athletes receive the same amount of money?

No. Subject to federal guidelines, financial aid officers at each school determine the cost of attendance. Additionally, based on each school’s policies, a student’s cost of attendance can be adjusted based on his or her individual circumstances such as transportation, childcare needs and unusual medical expenses.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Its just another recruiting tool that some schools are using to their advantage. Clemson, 4K. You can get a 3 bedroom in Clemson for less than a studio in Midtown Atlanta. Parking GT ( 776.00) Clemson (80.00). Gas, GT (2.75) Clemson ( 1.80). They need to regulate this stuff.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think they say that all Tech students get a laptop, which is part of the reason ours is lower. I hope they're getting a new one every year because that's how much our guys are getting shorted relative to our competition.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
They got a laptop before, just like every other player does at most every school. They do not get a new one every year. Like I said, some schools are using it as a recruiting advantage. Gives the players some extra money. Esp since its tax free.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
They got a laptop before, just like every other player does at most every school. They do not get a new one every year. Like I said, some schools are using it as a recruiting advantage. Gives the players some extra money. Esp since its tax free.
Yup, that's my point...a single laptop given for 4-5 years only accounts for at most $500/year, not the $1500 plus difference we're seeing at some places. I really wish it was standardized across all schools so this "quality of life" measure done for improving the student experience wasn't turned into just another recruiting advantage for the shadier schools.