Florida A&M @ Georgia Tech, Friday 12/18 @ 7pm

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What's funny is other than missing some good looks there really isn't anything in particular that I would point to as bad. Rebounding was fine. Ended up shooting 40% from 3. 18 assists only 10 turnovers. I guess defensive intensity wasn't what it should have been in the second half if I had to point to something, but even then it felt more like them hitting some contested shots and us being committed to not fouling, for the most part, so not putting as much ball pressure as we usually do.

Oh well, game was never really in doubt, got Saba some minutes, and had a chance to shoot ourselves into rhythm hopefully.
This is the way I felt too. We just couldn't put them away, but the outcome was never really in doubt either. A win is a win is a win though.

slugboy

Staff member
Florida A&M was 41% from 3pt range. Moses basically carried the team in this game—he had 1/3rd of our points. (24 out of 74). Devoe got 8 assists, and Parham was our best rebounder with 8 rebounds.

Every time we started to pull away, suddenly we didn’t. But, better a win than a loss.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Didn't see or hear the game. What did Saba do to get 4 fouls in 5 min of play. Can we expect he can stay on the floor if he does play in ACC games?

GT1988

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't see or hear the game. What did Saba do to get 4 fouls in 5 min of play. Can we expect he can stay on the floor if he does play in ACC games?

Saba was matched up against a BIG dude. The guy had to have 50 pounds on Saba easy. Add that to being a freshman and first real minutes this season, the fouls came easy.

Deleted member 2897

We only had 9 turnovers and everything looks fine. They hit something like 5/8 from 3PT in the second half. That extra 9 points is what kept the game from being 15-20 point leads.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We only had 9 turnovers and everything looks fine. They hit something like 5/8 from 3PT in the second half. That extra 9 points is what kept the game from being 15-20 point leads.
Yeah, I think I mostly agree. There seemed to be intensity at the beginning but we let up more than I would prefer.

Saba will probably improve a lot between now and next year, but we can now see why he is not playing. Moore is guy who I love watching. The kid plays D like it really matters. Saba won't ever get to that level, but he plays flat-footed too much. Four fouls in maybe 6 minutes!

Was anyone at the game who can say anything about Maxwell in warmups? Was he in uniform? After seeing him in HS I think he can give us some help in spurts.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I think I mostly agree. There seemed to be intensity at the beginning but we let up more than I would prefer.

Saba will probably improve a lot between now and next year, but we can now see why he is not playing. Moore is guy who I love watching. The kid plays D like it really matters. Saba won't ever get to that level, but he plays flat-footed too much. Four fouls in maybe 6 minutes!

Was anyone at the game who can say anything about Maxwell in warmups? Was he in uniform? After seeing him in HS I think he can give us some help in spurts.
Maxwell was in warmups but didn’t take part in the team actually warming up before the game. He seemed to be moving well, but obviously not exerting himself. He has reportedly been practicing, as we all know.

Out of curiosity I watched him during some of the pregame. He seemed in good spirits, smiling, and interacting with teammates. I hope he fully recovers and we see him in live action soon.

GT_EE78

Banned
looks that for now Saba is ahead of Rodney for that 8th rotation spot.
hope coach Rev can get those fouls per minute down or there might not be an 8th spot in ACC play.God forbid Moses in foul trouble but he will need a rest break at times.
Hope that CJP doesn't have to go bigless

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I’m still not sure what this team’s identity is. By that, I mean what do they do so well it’s going to allow them to win their fair share of ACC games.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m still not sure what this team’s identity is. By that, I mean what do they do so well it’s going to allow them to win their fair share of ACC games.

I was hoping this year's team would be a more explosive offensive team, but we seem to be trying to execute basically the same strategy as last year - be very good defensively and be just efficient enough offensively (low turnovers, etc.) to be able to find ways to win reasonably close ballgames. IMHO this is a fair amount harder to execute this year without Banks and we really need to find a way to become more explosive offensively. Best option for this is likely to find a way to get Devoe open 3 point looks and hope he ups his percentage to what he is capable of.

Deleted member 2897

I still don’t think we’ve recovered from lack of real practice. We shouldn’t be struggling against the teams we have. For sure we can still make the tournament, but we still have not played sustained good basketball yet to our potential.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I still don’t think we’ve recovered from lack of real practice. We shouldn’t be struggling against the teams we have. For sure we can still make the tournament, but we still have not played sustained good basketball yet to our potential.
I think this is a valid point. I am worried that the lack of a true 5 is going to nag at us all season. Certainly, getting Maxwell in there, assuming he is as good as I claim, will be a help. It is possible that we are just not as good as we thought.

Good stuff: Except for the FSU game, we are not turning the ball over as often. We are playing at a faster pace and scoring more points. Compared to 2017-18, we have 7-8 ACC caliber players. Moses Wright was never projected to be as good as he is.

The bad stuff: We don't have any depth inside. None. We are not shooting the ball as well as we should given our lineup. And, we are getting out rebounded. Also, two of our guards are undersized for ACC play. That is causing us some matchup problems with teams that have 6-5 guards.

Last: We are carrying four big guys on the roster who are not contributing right now. One is out for the season. It would be nice if one of the other three could develop enough in the next 3-4 weeks to help out for 10 minutes per game. It looks like the staff hopes it will be Saba, but he needs a lot of work.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a valid point. I am worried that the lack of a true 5 is going to nag at us all season. Certainly, getting Maxwell in there, assuming he is as good as I claim, will be a help. It is possible that we are just not as good as we thought.

Good stuff: Except for the FSU game, we are not turning the ball over as often. We are playing at a faster pace and scoring more points. Compared to 2017-18, we have 7-8 ACC caliber players. Moses Wright was never projected to be as good as he is.

The bad stuff: We don't have any depth inside. None. We are not shooting the ball as well as we should given our lineup. And, we are getting out rebounded. Also, two of our guards are undersized for ACC play. That is causing us some matchup problems with teams that have 6-5 guards.

Last: We are carrying four big guys on the roster who are not contributing right now. One is out for the season. It would be nice if one of the other three could develop enough in the next 3-4 weeks to help out for 10 minutes per game. It looks like the staff hopes it will be Saba, but he needs a lot of work.

great points
-we are small many times in the games even with Moses in there-they just shoot over us
-there was little spark except in spurts- as small as we are we should move quicker all the time-our guards got almost NO layups vs Fla AM! geez in normal Offense
-I can't believe we don't use Moses more--pass inside and watch teams double him and let him pass out-then later he can get his shot after they tire--the guy is the most "evolved" from FR player I ever seen at Tech
-this is a SR laden team--they need to play better--scary (very) to think about next yr with what will be left to play--AM's bench outscored ours 22-5 !!!