Five most critical players this yr

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It seemed a lot of times in Roof's scheme that when we blitzed with a LB, we still played off the WR and TE so that a quick short pass was open for a first down. I wondered why we didn't tighten up with the corners or at least bump the route when we were bringing heat. We didn't do a real good job of hiding when we were going to blitz either.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You might want to go back and read your first statement. I said the guys we have are just as athletic if not more, and you said no they are not.
right, they are not more athletic. At best just as athletic, to which I don't think they are. I never said THEY WERE NOT ATHLETIC as an absolute; I said I didn't think they were as athletic as white/milton. Big difference imo

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
right, they are not more athletic. At best just as athletic, to which I don't think they are. I never said THEY WERE NOT ATHLETIC as an absolute; I said I didn't think they were as athletic as white/milton. Big difference imo
I'm confused by what you are trying to get at? I never said that you said they weren't athletic, but it seems like you're thinking thats what I said?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I like the austin twins. They are built solid. May not be good on island with tall wr but I hope they can give good run support as well as slow down backs in space. Will be fun to see if they take proper angles.
Would love to see some solid hits by db.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I like the austin twins. They are built solid. May not be good on island with tall wr but I hope they can give good run support as well as slow down backs in space. Will be fun to see if they take proper angles.
Would love to see some solid hits by db.

Ice,
the problem is that there are too many of these 6-2,210+ WRs, not to mention the 6-4,240 lb TEs ,around which can overpower 5-10,185 guys

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ice,
the problem is that there are too many of these 6-2,210+ WRs, not to mention the 6-4,240 lb TEs ,around which can overpower 5-10,185 guys
I just like the kids no back down and his what appears to me to be his core body strength. When he hits someone it is solid.
He has some playing time to date and since we don t have a db stretcher , I hope we can make it up by technique and force at point of contact. I see on one site he is second string ss. Checked uga site and the backup is about same size.

Is he much smaller than the db that did such a good job on the all American unc tight end ? Watching the game the it seemed the gt db was always very close to the te whenever he caught the ball. I think the gt guys number was6???

Just a favorite type player for me. (Imo he is not 5-10) Not recommending we make habit of recruiting shorter players. If we have better player I am sure he will play

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
It starts up the middle so key is QB, C, RG, BB. If the first option is working, so will all the other options.

Since that's four I only have one more player to choose, I pick Gray at Safety. A pick, a deflection, a TD saving tackle often swings a game.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
How I answer depends on how "most critical" is defined:

If defined by guys we can least afford to lose:
J. Thomas
Gamble
PJ Davis
AJ Gray
Any starting OL due to lack of bodies

If defined by guys who if they make a jump all other things equal we'll be cooking with grease:
Kallon
Devine
AJ Gray
One dominant pass rushing DE (K. Free, Simmons, Anree, etc.)
Consistent playmaking wide receiver (Jeune, Stewart, rs or tr FR, or Messick makes a Darren Waller jump(not likely).

AB & BB I think we can win and pile up yards with an impressive stable of backs & Justin.

I agree with this. As always, depth could become an issue at several spots. We have some good football players but there is precious little depth especially in the O line. The guy who might make a quantum leap is JJ Green. I saw a video of him in spring practice during a drill and he made first DJ and then Chris look silly trying to tackle him The man is elusive and can cut on a dime. Badly need both Kallon and Shamire to come though big time. Men, it is your time make it happen.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have spent some time thinking about this. In responding, I am going to make the assumption that JT is a seasoned veteran and solid play from him is a given. The QB on any team is the most important position, so including him in my list just seems superficial and obvious. I will go in descending order of importance (1 being the most).

1. Shamire Devine - He is easily the player up front with the most long term potential. There is no opposing player who matches up against him physically. The biggest question in my mind is surrounding leadership and conditioning. If Shamire shows up in great shape with a clear and focused head, willing to be a leader, in every sense of the word, he will be THE guy a successful line can be built around. It is hard to put into words how much we need him.

2. Freddie Burden - We need him in top form. He makes the calls. He has the quickness to get to the second level and wreak havoc. He has the maturity and the experience to be a captain out there.

3. Marcus Marshall - We need him to hang on to the football. We need him to do just a little bit better getting the tough yards in the trash and a good bit better blocking. The rest is going to happen on its own. He is explosive and he will get huge yards with a little daylight.

4. Keshun Freeman - This is probably the first year he shows up physically ready to play his position at this level. Unfortunately for him he was rushed into service out of necessity, while a bit undersized for his skill set. He is a talented kid who is hard to block. From my distance, as a fan, he appears to have a lot of leadership skills. His character is very apparent. Having him blossom this year as a force on the edge, would be huge for the defense. If he can reach the level of Attaochu, let's say, in terms of pass rush, it would be a huge shot in the arm for the rest of the guys on the line. When you have to account for a player, in terms of blocking assignments, it means a lot.

5. AJ Gray - It has been a couple seasons since we had an elite playmaker (at any position) on the defense. DJ White and Adam Gotsis came close to this description, but not quite. Plus, AG was hurt or suspended for much of last season. IMHO, for us right now, AJG has the most potential to be that guy. When you have a guy like that at safety, it can really give you a lift.

Bottom line: all positions are important. I don't mean to slight anybody. If given a number 6, I would probably go with a WR stepping up. With all this said, if all of the questions in my numbers 1 through 5 were answered resoundingly to the positive, it is hard to imagine us not having a very good year.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate everybody's input.Great discussion.
I wrote this originally to try to pinpoint certain guys' importance to team on 2 bases
1.if they were lost (out) for some reason is there a backup that can give a decent performance as replacement, some guys seem to have fairly good replacements others less so
2. their need to perform at the highest level for the team to be successful assuming they stay in and are not hurt

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
good thread -

1. JT - no matter what offense QB is very important. Hopeful in that know JT can play but truth is he was not that good last year.
2. Devine - We are going to have to score points to win. Defense is inexperienced and has some holes upfront, at LB and at DB. Devine has talent and can dominate.
3. Burden - Oline was too many times confused last year. Burden hopefully can stop that. Know he will play ok but need him to team up with Devine and really move some people.
4. Jeune - need that player that can score on any play. Jeune showed flashes last yer but needs to be a true playmaker this year.
5. Durham - can't double cover both sides of the field and believe other side will certainly need help. Worried about Austins' speed and size. Both give their best but can be beaten by faster/bigger receiver. Watch UM game last year if disgree. Durham appears to have the talent to be a player we can put on an island and he can compete.