1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Fitness advice

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by sd_dragon, Jun 7, 2019.

1. sd_dragon

sd_dragon Jolly Good Fellow

Hey everyone,

Just looking to see what advice people have on basic weight training, etc for someone who is borderline out of shape haha I run a decent amount, but that only gets you so far (ran a 1/2 marathon in April, haven't weight trained in years).

If there are any programs people follow, workouts they regularly use, anything really, please feel free to share. I'd like to get back in the swing of routinely working out, but find it daunting to go in without a plan.

Thanks y'all.

CuseJacket likes this.
  2. Lotta Juice

Lotta Juice Ramblin' Wreck

When I do get to consistently train I try to use some variance of the below programs for weightlifting and building strength. Focus on barbell lifts that have multi-joint movements: Deadlift, Squat, Bench, Overhead Press. Best way to improve overall strength.

The Texas Method
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/texas-method

5-3-1
    http://www.fitnessandpower.com/training/workout-routines/531-program

I've heard good things about Starting Strength as well but I'm not as familiar with it.

Form is key to prevent injuries. Look at some youtube videos to get the form right and practice with little weight or even no weight at all. Or ask someone you know who knows what they're doing to help/spot for a session till you feel comfortable recognizing what the right form feels like. Start light and grow from there!

sd_dragon likes this.
  3. AUFC

AUFC Helluva Engineer

I wouldn't roll with Texas or 531 right away...those are very much intermediate programs. Starting Strength or StrongLifts would be the best 2 programs for you to begin making your noob gains. reddit.com/r/fitness has some great starter guides on the sidebar.

smathis30 and sd_dragon like this.
  4. smathis30

smathis30 Helluva Engineer

The best way to get in shape is to MAINTAIN a routine. Doing a little, but doing it consistently, is far better than doing a great workout once a month. Even if its back/chest on monday, legs on wednesday, and arms/shoulders on fridays. Core on the 'tweeners. Find a routine that works, then develop a gameplan after that.

Dieting is without a doubt one of the most important aspects of fitness as well.
    Make sure you take vitamins and proper supplements if needed.
    If you want a few good cook books for getting in shape, i have a few reccomendations i can DM that have helped me put on 25 good lbs in the past year.

AUFC likes this.
  5. AUFC

AUFC Helluva Engineer

Would also emphasize what @smathis30 said - pretty much all of your actual results you'll see will come from the kitchen, if you are unaware. Instant Pot is an awesome cooking tool for making massive quantities of tasty/healthy food and recipes are all over YouTube/the internet.

6. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

This guy gives a lot of great workout advice and is a physical therapist. His info is great and you will avoid bad advice that can lead to poor results or even injury. Just subscribe to his channel and you will have a plethora of info to peruse.