Fitness advice

sd_dragon

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey everyone,

Just looking to see what advice people have on basic weight training, etc for someone who is borderline out of shape haha I run a decent amount, but that only gets you so far (ran a 1/2 marathon in April, haven't weight trained in years).

If there are any programs people follow, workouts they regularly use, anything really, please feel free to share. I'd like to get back in the swing of routinely working out, but find it daunting to go in without a plan.

Thanks y'all.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Hey everyone,

Just looking to see what advice people have on basic weight training, etc for someone who is borderline out of shape haha I run a decent amount, but that only gets you so far (ran a 1/2 marathon in April, haven't weight trained in years).

If there are any programs people follow, workouts they regularly use, anything really, please feel free to share. I'd like to get back in the swing of routinely working out, but find it daunting to go in without a plan.

Thanks y'all.

When I do get to consistently train I try to use some variance of the below programs for weightlifting and building strength. Focus on barbell lifts that have multi-joint movements: Deadlift, Squat, Bench, Overhead Press. Best way to improve overall strength.

The Texas Method
https://www.t-nation.com/training/texas-method

5-3-1
http://www.fitnessandpower.com/training/workout-routines/531-program

I've heard good things about Starting Strength as well but I'm not as familiar with it.

Form is key to prevent injuries. Look at some youtube videos to get the form right and practice with little weight or even no weight at all. Or ask someone you know who knows what they're doing to help/spot for a session till you feel comfortable recognizing what the right form feels like. Start light and grow from there!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't roll with Texas or 531 right away...those are very much intermediate programs. Starting Strength or StrongLifts would be the best 2 programs for you to begin making your noob gains. reddit.com/r/fitness has some great starter guides on the sidebar.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
The best way to get in shape is to MAINTAIN a routine. Doing a little, but doing it consistently, is far better than doing a great workout once a month. Even if its back/chest on monday, legs on wednesday, and arms/shoulders on fridays. Core on the 'tweeners. Find a routine that works, then develop a gameplan after that.

Dieting is without a doubt one of the most important aspects of fitness as well.
Make sure you take vitamins and proper supplements if needed.
If you want a few good cook books for getting in shape, i have a few reccomendations i can DM that have helped me put on 25 good lbs in the past year.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Would also emphasize what @smathis30 said - pretty much all of your actual results you'll see will come from the kitchen, if you are unaware. Instant Pot is an awesome cooking tool for making massive quantities of tasty/healthy food and recipes are all over YouTube/the internet.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hey everyone,

Thanks y'all.

This guy gives a lot of great workout advice and is a physical therapist. His info is great and you will avoid bad advice that can lead to poor results or even injury. Just subscribe to his channel and you will have a plethora of info to peruse.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Hey everyone,

Thanks y'all.

I got you, bro. First and foremost, you can't outrun a bad diet. Start there. Get used to eating under your total daily expenditure. You can look up how to calculate that. I also like the videos of the guy that @Whiskey_Clear posted.

Deleted member 2897

Strength training is very important. But my personal opinion is that I would not lift weights to get big (not that you were implying that). I'd mix cardo and strength training. And when I say strength training, I mean like pushups, situps, lunges, easy weights with lots of repetitions. Needs to be something you'll stick with. But aerobic exercise is also immensely important, so you can't drain yourself so much from the strength side that you can't go run for 30 minutes. Diet is important too, and at least 1 day off from any exercise every week. My 2 cents.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The #1 thing without a doubt to is have a plan and FOLLOW IT CONSISTENTLY. I do 2 cardio workouts per week and 2 weight workouts per week, and that has been the key for me. I don't try to impress anyone with how much I can lift or whatever, but I have a trainer and the one thing he drills in me over and over again is (1) do *something* 2-3 times per week and stick with it! ;(2) lifting lower weights with high repetitions is generally much better than high weights with fewer reps.

Good luck!

PS-it will make you feel so much better overall......

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I got you, bro. First and foremost, you can't outrun a bad diet. Start there. Get used to eating under your total daily expenditure. You can look up how to calculate that. I also like the videos of the guy that @Whiskey_Clear posted.

I love this quote! Speaks directly to me. I upped my running to about 75 miles a month but it drove up my appetite and zero weight loss over 2 months. I am so hungry ALL the time.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I love this quote! Speaks directly to me. I upped my running to about 75 miles a month but it drove up my appetite and zero weight loss over 2 months. I am so hungry ALL the time.

Running is the WORST for losing weight. It's the hardest on the bones and joints, and you really don't get that much out of it as far as calorie expenditure.

My advice for aging people is to weight lift, does not have to be much. You don't have to constantly be adding weight to get your gains. The weight lifting can also be a cardio workout if you don't take rest time in between sets/exercises. Weight lifting has the added benefit of increase bone density, crucial for being a strong 70/80/90 year old. Bone density is the number one quality of life indicator at those ages.

Here's another. What you put in in, is what you get out. You put bad food in, you'll get bad results on the back end.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Running is the WORST for losing weight. It's the hardest on the bones and joints, and you really don't get that much out of it as far as calorie expenditure.

My advice for aging people is to weight lift, does not have to be much. You don't have to constantly be adding weight to get your gains. The weight lifting can also be a cardio workout if you don't take rest time in between sets/exercises. Weight lifting has the added benefit of increase bone density, crucial for being a strong 70/80/90 year old. Bone density is the number one quality of life indicator at those ages.

Here's another. What you put in in, is what you get out. You put bad food in, you'll get bad results on the back end.

I appreciate your feedback I am ready to make some changes. Besides the running I also try to row about 16,000 meters a week. This last 10 pounds of fat is stuck like glue.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I appreciate your feedback I am ready to make some changes. Besides the running I also try to row about 16,000 meters a week. This last 10 pounds of fat is stuck like glue.

I'm full of ideas. I lost a lot of weight after playing, the good way. Do you know your BMI? Can take it to DM's if you'd like

LibertyTurns

Banned
Swimming is the #1 calorie burner I think, followed by high intensity interval training, the running, cycling & walking in that order. I hate swimming so that’s never worked for me nor has cycling. Weight training as @White_Gold advocates is very important. Finding something that works for you is the hardest.

@GTJackets Not an F3 guy, but Insanity instead. Time constraints makes it too hard to sustain for me though.