First play of the Alcorn State game is........

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't recall that we have ever drawn an offside with a shift. And only perhaps two times we ran a play out of the shift. I think Johnson just does it to see if his WRs are alert.

CPJ does this on 4th down to see how the defense is going to play it. Sometimes he likes what he sees, calls timeout, and goes for it anyway. Other times he doesn't like the look, calls timeout, and punts. If somebody jumps, its a bonus.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
CPJ does this on 4th down to see how the defense is going to play it. Sometimes he likes what he sees, calls timeout, and goes for it anyway. Other times he doesn't like the look, calls timeout, and punts. If somebody jumps, its a bonus.
To me it's like that funky thing Navy started a few years ago with A backs doing herky jerky quick motion ending in Heisman poses. Just looks goofy and from what I've seen no defense ever reacts to it one way or the other. And he punts anyway.

Regardless I think anybody suggesting that on the first play of a year after national recognition he runs some doofus-like play ... to show all those freshman how he wants to play? He's going to run his offense from the get-go.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Why deviate from the approach taken in the last four games last season...grind, grind, grind...and grind some more till the will is shattered....

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I was really happy to see that, it was a great first play call to let him know we believe in him coming off that nasty injury. He looked good running it, we have some really good looking ABs with the ball in their hands, hope the blocking keeps pace.
I was worried about snoddy. Not sure if he was going to be full speed. He actually looked better last night, than he did when he hit his stride last season. IMO

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I was really happy to see that, it was a great first play call to let him know we believe in him coming off that nasty injury. He looked good running it, we have some really good looking ABs with the ball in their hands, hope the blocking keeps pace.
He ran very aggressively cutting back across the field on one of his runs. Real determination. So another question has been answered maybe. Betcha Johnson was watching intently, and will watch the tape the same.