First game with my daughter, looking for advice.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you have time before or after the game, take a walk along the Beltline. You can stop by Ponce City market off the Beltline. It will be a fun place for "all in one" dining, shopping, and sight seeing. There's also neat artwork along the Beltline, as well as parks specifically for kids. IMO, it's the best experience for tourists in Atlanta because of all the options available, as well as the sightseeing. The great thing is you don't have to spend any money for you and your daughter to enjoy it. Given that the weather will be gorgeous Saturday, it's the perfect way to enjoy the city as well as take in the game. It's close to GT campus, but may be a bit of a walk to get there for an 8 year old. I live off of the Beltline, and my little nieces LOVE walking on it every time they visit...of course, part of that is because they really like stopping by Ben and Jerry's in Inman Park.

Here's an interactive map for you to reference:

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Check out the band mini-concerts as noted above. My kids loved those when little, and still do as adults. Plus you can grab some shade while watching. Our band is a lot of fun. When they're done by the library, you can ask, and probably get a pic of her with them. I've done that before.

My kids always liked going to Barnes and Noble bookstore and rummaging around. If you're by there, stop in the lobby of the Tech hotel across the street. They have a ramblin wreck in there, which the kids like, and is a great photo op.

Not sure I'd go all in on the varsity, but that is a thing I guess. Kids do like frozen oranges tho.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Look for photo opps with the Ramblin Wreck and Buzz at the pregame festivities, Buzz is a lot of fun for kids To interact with

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Hello everyone,

I’m a Tennessee alumni/fan and have taken my daughter to games in Knoxville before, but we are going to the Tech game on Saturday vs Bowling Green. Looking for advice on what to do/what to see etc. She is 8 years old, so we are doing the youth spirit day stuff that the school is doing. Looking forward to the game. I’ve always had a deep respect for Ga Tech and would happily send my kids to school there as opposed to the school that teaches adults to bark at strangers over in Athens. Looking for advice/tips etc…thanks.
You definitely have to get to outside of the north end of the stadium for when the band comes and assembles on the stairs and plays the Ramblin Wreck song before they go into the stadium.
At the 7th inning stretch make sure she's made aware of the Budweiser song. And then to top off the night, stick around in the stadium until the band plays The Horse.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
My eight years old daughter loves watching the band so I would bring her to Bobby Dodd Way to watch them come down the hill and then sit down in your seats early to watch them play prior to the game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
welcome! Hit the helluva block party, several fun things for kids to do there, then take her to the Varsity before the game, my kids would go on-strike if we ever skipped this step lol. I hope yall have a great time!
If the varsity lines are long, go to the far right near the steps (along the wall,) it tends to move faster for some reason. This is from someone who remembers Flossy May. Some on here will know who I'm talking about.

daytonlawvol

Georgia Tech Fan
I purchased my daughter a Tech shirt via Amazon but it looks like it wont make it in time to my house. Ill be coming from Dalton, GA. I need to get her a shirt and can do so since we will be on campus early Saturday. Do yall recommend we walk over to the Barnes and Noble bookstore or will there be more things in the heart of campus?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I purchased my daughter a Tech shirt via Amazon but it looks like it wont make it in time to my house. Ill be coming from Dalton, GA. I need to get her a shirt and can do so since we will be on campus early Saturday. Do yall recommend we walk over to the Barnes and Noble bookstore or will there be more things in the heart of campus?
Yes B&N. If you get there really early you can park in the GT conference center/ Hotel parking deck just off fifth St.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There are street vendors with shirts for less than the bookstore

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If you’ve never eaten there, the Varsity is a human internal lube job.

Don’t get medical tests the same day you eat there ;)
I never knew having “an issue” after eating at the Varsity was a thing until it happened to me. Only happened once but makes me a little wary every time now. I have a cast iron stomach but that grease can run right through you.

Sorry to bring that up.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

Academy Sports in Cartersville, not far from I-75, has Tech garb. Much better selection at the bookstore though.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If the varsity lines are long, go to the far right near the steps (along the wall,) it tends to move faster for some reason. This is from someone who remembers Flossy May. Some on here will know who I'm talking about.
Not a native Atlantan, but found this about Flossy May, Nipsey Russell, and the Varsity culture. Included is a Flossy May video clip:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
At that age I told my son he’d get an ice cream for every GT TD, 3 more if GT won. He never wanted to go anywhere but GT and get his degree. He’s a diehard fan to this day.

Dress her in white and gold. Raise her right young man!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not a native Atlantan, but found this about Flossy May, Nipsey Russell, and the Varsity culture. Included is a Flossy May video clip:

Thanks for finding and sharing. Brought back memories. Some car hops used to jump on the back bumper and ride to where the car parked. As a student I never drove over there. Just walked. That's when a FO was made like a milk shake in a blender using ice cream.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yes B&N. If you get there really early you can park in the GT conference center/ Hotel parking deck just off fifth St.
We used to stay at conference center and park on TOP LEVEL - on westside facing Gt. When u walk back - hit the varsity.
From top parking level the night time view of lit up BDS , Tech building and Atl is memorable.

Enjoy the time w your daughter - its a very fleeting period of life.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Wow. I have never stayed around to see the band play The Horse. Didn’t even know it was a thing. Learn something new every day.

Varsity-2 Chili cheese slaw dogs, onion rings and a frosted orange. Eat after the game and be ready to go at any time.