Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Wow is about all I can say. I have been a Tech fan my entire life. Had family and friends play football at Tech

yesterday was the first tech game I have been to in several years because I do not live in Atlanta

all I can say is that I am in complete shock in every aspect of this football program.

the tailgating was absolutely boring and weak. We got down to the game around 4:30 to walk around and it literally felt like we were about to attend a funeral

wtf up is up with the right seating. We have season tickets and were basically sitting on top of each other. We are not far over weight people. Sitting in there like sardines and the stadium only had 30,000 in attendance

the pa announcer sounded like a high school jamboree

the bathrooms were flooded with sewage

the concessions didn’t even have straws or napkins? Wtf!

the sound system in the stadium was awful

I have seriously been to high school games with better atmosphere and production elements was just an overall horrible experience and a total waste of time and huge disappointment

Mitch was a beautiful and perfect night in Atlanta weather wise. I can’t imagine going to another game this season sitting in the sun baking like bacon

it was the most expensive uncomfortable football game I have ever been tothe people sitting behind us was annoyed when we were standing and yelling for our team
What a total waste of money on season tickets. I will not be attending another game this season (even if we were winning games)

the entire game day experience was just awful and to top it off, the product that was put on the field was an absolute joke
Auburn wasn't much better. Traditionally, the tailgating was campus wide. I saw very few tents out and a very weak game day atmosphere. Like you, I heard the stadium announcers YELLING as the color analysts were talking. Yikes. It sounded terrible. My high school goes to state every year and has its own stadium ... and if a far better experience than what you experienced. I've said this before ... because we are smaller, we have to be EXCELLENT in everything. And it's very telling if TStan remains silent.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I just listened to Coach Lincoln Riley after OK almost lost to Tulane. He talked about "they have to be better". The players, the coaches, everyone made mistakes that need to be cleaned up.

I won't paraphrase any more, but he sounded like a head coach. He put the blame on preparation, mindset, game decisions, and took the responsibility for all of that. That is what a HC should do. He also pointed to SPECIFIC things they did wrong, like busted pass coverages, etc.

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
I just listened to Coach Lincoln Riley after OK almost lost to Tulane. He talked about "they have to be better". The players, the coaches, everyone made mistakes that need to be cleaned up.

I won't paraphrase any more, but he sounded like a head coach. He put the blame on preparation, mindset, game decisions, and took the responsibility for all of that. That is what a HC should do. He also pointed to SPECIFIC things they did wrong, like busted pass coverages, etc.

100% opposite of CGC's presser I just watched. That was almost as embarrassing as the game itself. The dude seems clueless.... I could have stood up there and said all those things.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No, if the rumors were true a year or so back that Gus Malzahn wanted the Tech job. We missed the boat.
Gus was a No. He has a terrible reputation in the NFL and that's what the Tech strategy is ... give players an option to the NFL or, a great education. Gus was perceived as another version of CPJ and so, was not really considered. Tech Masterminds really want SA's to think of Tech as a path to an NFL career is they are capable.

I have been a steady Ga Tech fan for 30+ years. I cannot remember being so disappointed in a loss and the state of our football program.

Apparently hype, and pizazz trump substance in our program. Hats off to our players for their effort. Last night was a failure of Xs and Os, a failure to prepare our team, and a killer for our recruiting. As much as I enjoyed our Paul Johnson era and the triple option when it was clicking, the program had run " out of steam" and it was time for a change.

Hats off to the NIU team. They deserved to win. They were the better team, better coached, better prepared team last night.

Unfortunately we need a NEW HEAD COACH.

Geoff Collins is a great recruiter, but not a P5 Head Coach. After the AD raised $125M... The fan base is not going to stand for this. I think the lesson that Georgia Tech has learned is that "Geoff Collins is what happens when you order a football coach on Wish." The Geoff Collins era ended yesterday night. It’s going to be a 1-2 year lame duck after this game do to the buyout. The GTAA has $125M for the buyout but it will take meetings and voted to divert some of the money to absorb this mess. But the Program has been set back maybe worse than the BILL LEWIS era.

slugboy

Staff member
My impression of the game, just from being in the stadium last night is that the team looked very bad. I haven't watched the broadcast yet, and I'm not sure that I am going to.

The team looked unprepared. On defense, we substituted when NIU did not. We started running two or three guys in as they were lining up, and the guys running off the field barely made it. We used a timeout once because the guys were still hat the hash mark, if I recall correctly. On the first NIU drive, NIU snapped the ball while the defense was still getting organized about how to line up. On second and two at the goal line, we ran what I remember as a fake sweep, delayed draw. At the two yard line, the ball was held still three yards behind the line before it started moving forwards.

From an overhead perspective, we look like a pick up team that is playing against a team that practices together. Some of the time it looks like we don't know what we are doing, and some of the time we run flashy plays that don't gain anything. Whether that is on the players or coaching, I can't say for certain, but I lean more towards most of it being on the coaches.
There were multiple times last night that we could see NIU snapping the ball before we even had our D linemen set. That’s just crazy for a P5 team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I find myself grasping for straws of hope as to why the season isn't a lost cause... and all i come up with is the fact that when CGC was at Temple they lost to a Villanova team they had no business loading to and then went on to go 11-1 in conference. But that feels really stupid to find hope in another awful loss of CGC

CGC has a history of losing 1 game a year against teams in no way they should lose to. We are finding that out here as well.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The shortcoming of the last 2 coaches was making proper staff choices. I'll reserve judgment until December. My personal motto is "Nothing was ever improved by maintaining the status quo." My opinion will be shaped by how, or if, things are changed after the season.
Yes amen !!!!

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I find that he hyped up players and does the opposite of most successful head coaches. I think he boosts them so much during practice and week and they completely fall flat under pressure. He is a cheerleader not a drill sergeant. Unfortunately that means he will devote more attention to the kids/players to make sure they feel good rather than winning.

This is at the core of his coaching so it is a long term problem.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's a newsflash ... who exactly are we going to beat NOW? I think KSU will blow us out. And Clemson after that? Not a good September.

CGC and our staff have certainly dug themselves a hole. Getting out of a hole at Temple is one thing, getting out of a hole with Clemson, UGA, UNC, ND...and the rest of the ACC schedule is another thing.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's a newsflash ... who exactly are we going to beat NOW? I think KSU will blow us out. And Clemson after that? Not a good September.
Ksu will control the ball for 35 to 40 minutes. Tech will lucky if they get 6 possessions on offense.

slugboy

Staff member
I want to personally thank the moderators for allowing this thread and most of the posts - most of us needed to vent with other GT fans/alums, and they have allowed it for the most part. I truly appreciate that. It doesn't make the situation better, but it does allow some relief when we are allowed to vent.

We all could use some venting after last night, and it’s better here than to our families.

My main ask is to follow the guidance of Bill and Ted, and “Be Excellent to Each Other”.