Film Study - Offense vs VT

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
How do we know that?

Justin has been electric so far...Taking him out for one series can mess up the rhythm. Personally I am not a fan of that.
Me too. I would love to see Byerly play as long as we had a game in hand but not when the game is in the balance and every possession is crucial.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How do we know that?

Justin has been electric so far...Taking him out for one series can mess up the rhythm. Personally I am not a fan of that.
Not to mention it could take more than one possession for Byerly to get comfortable and in his own rhythm.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we are in a closely contested game, then I want JT taking all the snaps if he is able. The only exception to that would be situational, like goal line package etc, where we actually feel we have a better chance to score with him in there.

I wonder if the outcome of the GSU game would have been different if TB had played in the second half coming out of the gate? It is a pretty interesting thought. Maybe we move the ball better that half and never lose the lead. Maybe we don't and JT is stone cold coming back into the game and fails to deliver on the final drive.

Animal02

Banned
If we are in a closely contested game, then I want JT taking all the snaps if he is able. The only exception to that would be situational, like goal line package etc, where we actually feel we have a better chance to score with him in there.

I wonder if the outcome of the GSU game would have been different if TB had played in the second half coming out of the gate? It is a pretty interesting thought. Maybe we move the ball better that half and never lose the lead. Maybe we don't and JT is stone cold coming back into the game and fails to deliver on the final drive.

I agree that our top playmaker needs to be in there when the game is on the line (I am sure JT wants to be in there as well) What I have been impressed with is when TB has entered the game, that it appears seamlessly. That is a good position to be in wrt a backup. Have not felt that way in a long time. VL stepping in for TW changed the character of play completely......that can be a good thing, but not when it is for one or two plays.

Declinometer

Banned
Not to mention it could take more than one possession for Byerly to get comfortable and in his own rhythm.
Look, there are times when me, you and everyone else know that the next play is going to be a dive to the B back. If the previous play or plays are JT taking shots and running tough, what would it hurt to put in Byerly for ONE play to let JT get a quick break?
This is just an example of the type of Byerly time we're talking about. Fatigue can lead to mistakes especially when running a demanding decision offense.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
@Boomergump great writeup!
Even though I've often admitted that I'm not a big fan of the TO offense, there's no doubt that it can be effective when you have a skilled QB running it. And make no mistake...Justin Thomas has the makings to be a very special QB for us.

As a baseball coach, we are often in close games where we need to make a play to win a ball game for us. We have a few guys who, if they're coming to bat, I feel confident that they're going to make something happen or conversely, I feel comfortable calling for them to do a high-risk/high-reward type play like a suicide squeeze. Why? Because I know they have the ability to "super-focus" or whatever you want to call it.

Some players in every sport have that ability to tune out everything around them when the game is on the line and focus super intently on making the play. Those are the kinds of players you want playing when the game is on the line....and JT is one of those guys. If he stays healthy and continues to progress the way he's doing now, he could end up being one of those guys mentioned in the same breath as Lil Joe, Shawn Jones, Kim King, etc.

It's a fun time to be a Tech fan!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Look, there are times when me, you and everyone else know that the next play is going to be a dive to the B back. If the previous play or plays are JT taking shots and running tough, what would it hurt to put in Byerly for ONE play to let JT get a quick break?
This is just an example of the type of Byerly time we're talking about. Fatigue can lead to mistakes especially when running a demanding decision offense.
Hmm, I wonder. Trotting off the field for one play would hardly even bring his pulse down to a resting level, especially if the previous play was intense. Plus, one play hardly gets Byerly loosened up. This feels like a wasted play to me unless it is part of a special goal line package.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
First of all, I think you have to give a ton of props to Bud Foster. You may hate him, but you better respect him, because he had those kids ready to play a pretty complex scheme against us. Most teams line up with one base formation all game and just do a couple simple variations off that based on down and distance and our formation. Not BF and the VT defense. They did a little of everything and often mixed, from down to down, who had QB, who had pitch, and from a totally different look. It is obvious they wanted to confuse JT and our OL. Personally, I think the game ball (for either team) goes to #36 on VT's defense. He played better than anybody else on the field. Although we owned the action in the G-C-G area of the field, we just couldn't get a hat on that guy or take him to the ground pursuing to the edge. He single handedly kept our dive from blowing up on them and he single handedly allowed them to run some of the tactics they did in the flats. Without him, they are not even in the game. He made tackles everywhere and seemed to easily defeat our attempts to pick him up. I don't think he took a single false step all game except one play where JT jukes him and took off for a 20 yarder. If I had to guess, I would say he made 40% of their tackles by himself. You have to go all the way to Vellano for MD at DT, to find as good a game played against us by a single defender.

With all that said, VT had a hard time adjusting to the speed of our option early. The guys on the edge screwed up assignments in the first series and we busted some runs. Eventually they settled down. Most of the day they had 8 in the box in one variation or another with as many as 6 on the line or as few as 4. They didn't jump the A gap but a few times. They did come with pressure this year, probably more than I would have expected, but the difference was they usually had one guy held back who spied JT. This was the "containment" tactic that I had alluded to in prior posts leading up to the game. They often fired corners and rotated safeties over to the boundary. We picked this up nicely, in scheme if not execution, by having the WR crack inside and the play side AB taking the firing CB. Once again, despite the lessened pressure, they were daring us to beat them through the air. Their defense flowed quickly to the pitch lanes and CBs were left to fend for themselves. There were a ton of plays "there" that we didn't hit for 3/4ths of the game with Smelter in the clear or a wheel route.

I thought CPJ did a masterful job with the play calls and I don't use that term lightly. With the game on the line late we ran two plays that took advantage of #36 in the middle a little bit, an AB dive, and a QB follow where we essentially optioned him off by having him take the BB. Those weren't big gainers but they mattered big time in the flow of the game late. The best play call of the day was the last TD to Smelter on the stop and go. CPJ guessed right that they would fire the corner on the play. That put a ton of pressure on the safety to get over to Smelter in a timely fashion and interrupt a quick throw that we had tried earlier. Well, he was running full speed over and DS baited him perfectly. The only other player on the field was a safety on the other side. He had no chance.

I don't think we played particularly well on offense as a whole. There were just a slew of unforced errors on the day. Penalties, just like last year, really killed some drives. ABs didn't play all that well. There were too many missed blocks or blocks that were too easily defeated in space, or penalties that brought plays back. While our OL generally blocked very well and got the best of the guys in front of them, they let down by turning a guy loose at the worst possible times. The biggest thing I can say is that we persevered. That seems to be our character this year and it is a good thing to say. There were a ton of reasons to throw in the towel and we didn't do it.

I am so proud of JT I can't even put it into words. He was asked to grow up yesterday. He was confronted with a puzzling and frightening array of tactics all day and he kept the pedal down throughout. He is a warrior who, once again, put his team on his back. We don't win yesterday if anybody else was in his place. The number of plays he keeps alive for modest gains, or makes huge gains out of seemingly routine plays is staggering. He sees holes developing before they open. He reads defenses very well for his relative inexperience. The two most important things about him are that, right or wrong, he commits to the decision and plays it out as fast as he can, and he makes adjustments as he goes along learning from his mistakes rather quickly. He has developed a tendency to overthrow receivers right now. His arm is strong and he is speeding things up a little too much getting rid of the ball. At crunch time you could see him consciously trying to take a little off to MAKE SURE of the throws. From that point on he was money. Eventually, he will learn to put air under the ball when he needs it. He hasn't yet. Some of his touch throws don't have enough altitude. I feel strongly, very soon, he will be coming out of the gate hitting important throws early.

Bottom line, there were a ton of plays missed yesterday. There were still many others that were an eyelash of going for huge gains that didn't. From my vantage point, we weren't all that far from blowing them out. We CAN play better. The locker room talk is the truth. We looked like the better team. They were under an extreme amount of pressure. They were well prepared. We were inconsistent, but we made played with talent. Yes the T word. We have some on offense.

Sorry I have to go. One last word. There is no doubt Freddie Burden was jacked up to play. That first series, he knocked his guy back about 4 yards a pop one on one. No kidding. He looked like that guy who got his car vandalized on "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". I haven't seen that from him yet. He has played well so far but that first series really showed what he can do. WOW.
Of course good read as usual but as ole and I mean ole coach biggest thing I saw VT do was get anlges on the outside.To many times JT got to the corner and they didnt take a angle of pursuit and whooosh......he was gone.Second cant believe his pass defense calls sending a cb on a blitz.All he needed was a incomplete pass or a gain less than what 15 yds..Safety really looked out of place on the TD pass and the CB looked at him wondering where he was.I see folks now doing the same thing Bud does except JT will get more hits since its clear so far he is our offense.We should get the pitch option and we have the speed to make it go but JT probably going to take some hits soon.You cannot let JT beat you and you must make him pitch early and so far we are ahead of the game.VT not the VT of old but they sort of served up two great calls for us in fourth gquarate.First the screen pass was bad call in my book mainly due to the fact that we were not getting pressure all day long and our linebackers were still in short coverage.......Second when they got the ball and needed to move everybody knew they were throwing to the deep wide out and we were setting on him........I thank Bud for that but the OC call didnt help them any.JT will get better with the pass.I dont worry about that but would like shorter pattersn to get his confidence up.With the big guys we have on the wideouts we should man handle most cbs...all in all a good win .Good post my friend.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like GTNavy's point about the third and 2. This is one thing about Paul's play calling which has always bugged me. When we have a second and two or third and two, why don't we try a play action pass or something with potential for a big play? We tend to call something which gets us our first down and start a new series, but we could take better advantage of those situations. I suspect the reason is because in the past we have been so awful in the pass game that PJ fears we'll take a sack, a hold, throw a pick etc. and undo our first play gain. But maybe as JT and this year's crop of receivers develop, he'll feel more comfortable turning them lose on third and short.

Oh I forgot to mention how excited I was when we passed on 3rd and 2 yesterday. All 17 other times this year we have run on 3rd and less than three. And all 66 times in 2013. I just knew we would pass once against VT since I'm sure VT had all of CPJ's tendencies mapped out in great detail. What was even better was the attempt was completed for 14 yards.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I like GTNavy's point about the third and 2. This is one thing about Paul's play calling which has always bugged me. When we have a second and two or third and two, why don't we try a play action pass or something with potential for a big play? We tend to call something which gets us our first down and start a new series, but we could take better advantage of those situations. I suspect the reason is because in the past we have been so awful in the pass game that PJ fears we'll take a sack, a hold, throw a pick etc. and undo our first play gain. But maybe as JT and this year's crop of receivers develop, he'll feel more comfortable turning them lose on third and short.
Danged if you do or don't. People will always second guess you. If you do the normal thing on 3rd and short, people will say what you said. If you go out of the norm, people will say, "why didn't he just run the dive?"

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Danged if you do or don't. People will always second guess you. If you do the normal thing on 3rd and short, people will say what you said. If you go out of the norm, people will say, "why didn't he just run the dive?"
People only second guess when it doesn't work. Sometimes the play is wide open but poor execution (or a great play by the defense) foils it. Example: the 4th and 2 pass attempt to Waller near the endzone where JT was hurried and got off a bad throw. I haven't seen the replay, but somebody turned somebody loose on that play or it was an easy td.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Defenses are going to make us beat them in the air like Ga did last year... I think JT only gets better at the passing game.

Did you see how many they had in the box the second half. They had 9 and 10 in the box trying to contain JT.

Animal02

Banned
People only second guess when it doesn't work. Sometimes the play is wide open but poor execution (or a great play by the defense) foils it. Example: the 4th and 2 pass attempt to Waller near the endzone where JT was hurried and got off a bad throw. I haven't seen the replay, but somebody turned somebody loose on that play or it was an easy td.

The 4th and 2 play is a perfect example of JT's youth. If he floated the ball instead of trying to throw a strike.......the receiver has a chance to get under it......if by chance the defender makes up ground and intercepts, we are still in better position than the incomplete pass. I suspect that those sort of situation awareness will develop through the season and the next two years.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The 4th and 2 play is a perfect example of JT's youth. If he floated the ball instead of trying to throw a strike.......the receiver has a chance to get under it......if by chance the defender makes up ground and intercepts, we are still in better position than the incomplete pass. I suspect that those sort of situation awareness will develop through the season and the next two years.
Animal, he was hurried into a bad throw, he had a hokie in his chops and he was rolling left and throwing across his body.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

This is exactly what I was thinking in the GSU game.... to bring Byerly and other "hungry" players out to start the second half. But we can never know what would have happened. I think we would have moved the ball better since we probably would have run more.

I will go on record saying that we are going to overplay and "use up" JT in some games this year so he isn't able to perform in crunch time. What our running QBs have to do is much more than most QBs. Expecting anyone to be fatigued and beat up yet still accurate in passing is naive.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Think that was my boy Laskey. He redeemed himself though.