FIlm Study - Offense vs UNC

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Boomer good assessment. I saw a couple of things I don't believe have been discussed that bothered me yesterday.

1. PJ had a bad day for situational awareness. We all have bad days but with the string of recent games I am starting to wonder if PJ's ego is getting in the way of logic. I get going for it on 4th down. But there were a few times yesterday where it seemed the smarter choice was to not go for it. Also, what happened at the end of the 1st half? That was just bad clock management and we handed UNC a TD because of it. I have faith that PJ can and will correct these issues but we need to get better quick.

2. The second issue I saw that concerned me was the conditioning of Errin Joe. We give Shamire a hard time and sometimes deservedly so but Joe looked like he was seriously gasping for air several times yesterday. That concerns me since Joe is a RS Sr. Could it possibly be an indicator of some complacency for at least one player?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I hate the call and am as certain as could be that there was no illegal intent from Gotsis.

That said, a primary goal of the rules is to avoid putting referees in a position to judge intent. The minute referees start making judgment calls on intent is the minute the SEC finds another "competitive" advantage. I hate it, but it was called correctly based on the rules in my opinion.

I thought Demond Smith's (I think) ejection last year was equally bad. He even turned his body sideways to avoid a head on collision, but once the helmets hit he was done for.

I also agree that you could eject about 15-20 guys a game as a result of helmets colliding. I really don't know what to do about it.

Great questions! I should have addressed those.

I think the HUNH was a huge help to getting us settled down into a play. Plus, it did nothing to hurt our control of the clock. We snapped at about our usual time, but we forced the D to tip their hand a little and it slowed the attack by disrupting the defensive timing. I like it and I hope we keep it. I have no idea what our system of communication is, but I like what I saw. It may have been the sole reason we didn't screw up so many line calls. I loved the 4th and 4 or 5 play where we went through the AB motion into the wishbone routine, then back to the inverted bone, then actually ran the play.

The biggest difference I saw from UNC compared to DUKE and ND was their readiness to defeat our blocks in space. I think we did a little better at timing our blocks and getting into people's way yesterday, but I also think the perimeter defenders of UNC were not quite as tenacious either. I like their MLB #10. He was about as good as #16 for DUKE. UNC is improved on defense, but they are not of the same caliber, nor did they play as aggressive. It was a far more conservative game plan, probably because they don't trust their DBs as much as the last two teams. DUKE is tough on defense, ND is tough too, but they also have incredible speed in places on that side of the ball. That #9 is just crazy fast for his position. Just think about a 230LB Deion Sanders who likes to tackle. He was faster than our ABs, any of them. He was a little lazy in some ways, but when that dude learns to ball out on every play and use his brain and watch his keys, he is going to be dynamite. There was no other athlete like him on the field that day.

Hope this helps.
Im still pissed about the call / rule.

Agree about J. Smith....dude is freakishly fast for his size...it blew my mind how he was able to blanket our abacks on routes...not faster than Snoddy tho.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Boomer, I have a question for you...

There is a lot of chatter on another site about UNC adjusting at halftime and pulling one more guy into the box, leaving our WR (Stewart) uncovered on many plays in the 2nd half, yet we never ever took advantage by throwing to the uncovered WR. I di not notice this but a lot of other comments were saying the same thing, and roasting our coaching staff for missing something that was (apparently) obvious from the stands. Can you comment based on your review? Thanks!

Matt E

GT Athlete
Other posts say Stewart wasn't eligible...those roasting coach might should study up on rules.

Doesn't that make it even worse? Either make him eligible or stop running plays in that formation. Once UNC stopped covering the ineligible slot you have to do one or the other since it was bringing another man into the box. We had to have been in that formation 25 times and were at a schematic disadvantage.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Doesyn't that make it even worse? Either make him eligible or stop running plays in that formation. Once UNC stopped covering the ineligible slot you have to do one or the other since it was bringing another man into the box. We had to have been in that formation 25 times and were at a schematic disadvantage.

I was just saying why he wasn't thrown to...don't understand purpose either if no one is there with him.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, I have a question for you...

There is a lot of chatter on another site about UNC adjusting at halftime and pulling one more guy into the box, leaving our WR (Stewart) uncovered on many plays in the 2nd half, yet we never ever took advantage by throwing to the uncovered WR. I di not notice this but a lot of other comments were saying the same thing, and roasting our coaching staff for missing something that was (apparently) obvious from the stands. Can you comment based on your review? Thanks!
Yeah, he was on the LOS and covered. He is out there to get us numbers. It would have been cool to see us slide the opposite AB up to the line and back Stewart up 2 yards on the sly just to try something.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Doesn't that make it even worse? Either make him eligible or stop running plays in that formation. Once UNC stopped covering the ineligible slot you have to do one or the other since it was bringing another man into the box. We had to have been in that formation 25 times and were at a schematic disadvantage.
Well, it isn't a disadvantage if he helps you seal the edge blocking.

Matt E

GT Athlete
Well, it isn't a disadvantage if he helps you seal the edge blocking.
Don't disagree with that at all. I'd have to look at the film and see if we consistently ran outside in that formation. Also, I'd love to see if we threw the ball out of it or if it was 100% run.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We need a forum for people that know football. This is getting comical.

there would be 2-3 people allowed in it. All the the rest of us would be swapping barbeque recipes and sharing golf and fishing tips. Plus swapping yarns about how hard ma Tech was back when we matriculated there. and how cheap you could get a chili slaw dog, fries and a large FO.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
there would be 2-3 people allowed in it. All the the rest of us would be swapping barbeque recipes and sharing golf and fishing tips. Plus swapping yarns about how hard ma Tech was back when we matriculated there. and how cheap you could get a chili slaw dog, fries and a large FO.
Haha I would fit in this club. Why I love this site because of the informed football opinions. Makes me sound smart to my buddies. I do give credit to the Swarm however.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You don't have to look. We didn't.
When we down on the south red zone and set up this way out of the bunch on left hash. We had brad and a wr right , unc had only one. So WE RAN LEFT into 10 men .
My son coaches 2A high school team that does the cover un cover call as a qb option at line of scrimage.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It'll be interesting if BG, CPJ or a caller/email/twitter asks why we didn't at least run to Brad's side of the play and utilize him to seal an edge...

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
You don't have to look. We didn't.
Are you sure? I seem to remember a play where Jeune ran a curl and Stewart ran an out route from the slot. Thomas threaded the needle to Jeune, who broke a couple tackles, but stumbled and fell.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
THis season's offensive effort is summarized when we could not score from the 1 TWICE.
1--another bad play call by PJ?
2-lack of effective blocking on our SR dominated OL?
3- lack of run talent leading to a 190 lb QB having to try ?
4-lack of speed in Aback so no rocket toss?
5-ZERO confidence that any WR making the play on pass?
one or all of the above?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Other posts say Stewart wasn't eligible...those roasting coach might should study up on rules.

On some plays Stewart was not an eligible receiver and it tells the D that we are going to RUN. I cannot see any advantage to GT to have the slot receiver on the LOS (not eligible).

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
THis season's offensive effort is summarized when we could not score from the 1 TWICE.
1--another bad play call by PJ?
2-lack of effective blocking on our SR dominated OL?
3- lack of run talent leading to a 190 lb QB having to try ?
4-lack of speed in Aback so no rocket toss?
5-ZERO confidence that any WR making the play on pass?
one or all of the above?
6 - It was the third straight game we've played in lousy field conditions.

As I've said before, I think we run an O that is much better on a dry field. I would wager that part of the reason our ABs looked slow is that the field slowed them up. If - please, Jeebus - we get a decent field to play on this week we can get a better read of where we actually are. Like Boomer, I think we continue to be very close to running the O as we should; inexperience cures itself. Whether that will help against the Tiggers, well …

What concerns me is that we still aren't getting what we need out of our BBs. Perhaps if Allen gets 15 or so carries this week we could find out if we have a card to play there. What I'd really like to see is Quaide get into game shape. He actually knows what he's doing back there and he certainly has the frame for it. Whatever: we have to get more production out of this position.

Declinometer

Banned
On some plays Stewart was not an eligible receiver and it tells the D that we are going to RUN. I cannot see any advantage to GT to have the slot receiver on the LOS (not eligible).
Sometimes teams don't recognize that he is not eligible and put someone out there which gives us the numbers on the other side.
Now this next part is going to be deleted in 30 minutes.
As the coach said, we can still throw to him but it must be a backward pass (lateral). I think he said that the ball has to hit the ground but I can't imagine why it would have to. Either way, would be cool to see. Skip it to him if need be.

Last edited: