Film Study - Offense vs PITT

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't have a ton of time at my disposal today, so this might be a little brief.

PITT lined up about like other defenses have against us and tried a lot of the same blitzing tactics. One unique difference I saw was the depth of the safeties and the role they were sometimes asked to play against the TO. They typically lined up a mere 6 yards or so off the ball. That allowed them, in some cases, to actually take the QB or the pitch at times. I don't think they had confidence in the speed of their MLB, but they wanted him out there because he was a really tough kid and good tackler, so this is how they made up for it. Often, I would see BOTH the DE and OLB take the dive on the same side and have the safety be the guy scraping. They fired the corners some, like everybody does, guessing right about half the time. They pressed in single coverage on the WRs and, like most, dared us to kill them with the pass.

The bright spots were that we did a better job of handling the last second shifts and A gap blitzes than we have recently. It wasn't always perfect, but it was much better. I thought #70 WB played really well. It was the first time I got to see a ton of snaps from him. He made good adjustments, picked up blitzes, and did a good job at the second level. He had a few busts, but I would say it was the most effective game we have had at OT to date, especially run blocking. I really like what I saw. As he gets reps, he will get more consistent and has a chance at being really good. He is a high effort kid. Marcus Marshall showed his explosiveness and what he can do with just a little room. I love watching fast guys separate in slow motion from their pursuers. He is legit fast and has great feet and balance. That monster needs to be fed. JT did some option stuff better, getting himself going upfield forcing a shoulder turn before giving up the ball. Michael Lands-Davis is improving. He is a threat as a catcher and a runner, but perhaps most importantly, he made fewer errors in the blocking game. There were a few screw ups, but he is a physical blocker. He is big enough to stone LBs and did so on several occasions, especially in short yardage. He has improved enough at this point to be considered a guy we have to have on the field a lot. He is a tough match up physically for most of the defenders who roam in space. No question he makes us better. If he gets better every week at this rate, we will soon have a stud on our hands at this position.

Among the not so bright spots was pass protection. We made huge gains this week in our run blocking, but there were just too many assignment busts against the pressure they were sending (usually 6, with a spy back). When 6 are coming, pretty much everybody has to take a player. There were plays where 3 of our guys took nobody, or 2 of our guys took the same guy and 1 of theirs was turned loose. Then there were plays where we just got beat. They made it confusing changing up who comes and who drops back, but we just have to get better, bottom line. MM really needs to work on his pass pro. It is his achilles heel at the moment. Other plays blew up for other reasons. We pitched the ball to open space (the ground) once because pitch relaionship was bad. IMHO that play should have been a keep anyway and probably would have gone for good yards. Sometimes, PITT just guessed right and blitzed the right spot, it happens.

All and all, we looked like a prolific offense for much of the game. There are just some nagging issues keeping us from sustaining a high level of play for 60 minutes. 330 yards of offense in a half of football where we didn't touch the ball until the 8th minute of Q1 AND had a turnover is pretty hard to beat. We made progress this week, but didn't get enough snaps to ring the bell enough times to win. It is hard to picture a scenario where you average 10 YPR and not win, but that is what happened.

Last edited:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Boomer for a well written thoughtful analysis. I am impressed by MM as well. He has that "burst" that has been missing at Bback for quite a while. The only complaint I have is we are throwing the ball at inopportune times for this offense. The beginning of the second half, for example. We are who we are. Run first and then run it some more. JT is never going to be a conventional drop back passer especially behind a line that apparently thinks they are matadors.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There have been so many maddening things about this year, it's hard to keep up with them all. Somewhere in there is the total collapse of pass protection. In the last couple of years we made great strides in that area, and I am puzzled as to how it has gotten so bad. It's been especially bad in must pass situations. Those plays never have a chance. At the point when the receivers have run their route and should be looking for the ball, JT is trying to run out of the grasp of rushers every time. But I would rather learn that a lot of it has to do with assignments as opposed to just getting beat. We stepped up some on assigments in run blocking this week, maybe pass blocking will come too.

The base offense looked the best it has since we played the two patsies. If we can keep that and pass protect better, maybe we can outscore some teams this year and get a few wins.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I thought the one thing good to take away from the loss was that the O got it's mojo back. Pitt was averaging holding opponents to 80 ypg rushing; we put up 376 yards rushing and 482 yards yards overall. Say what you will about Pitt's past opponents, that is nothing to be upset about. I expect us to light up FSU also. Whether we win will be another story; our pass blocking needs to improve and the D has not performed well recently. But missed assignments can be handled.

I also thought Marshall looked good, but you're right about his pass blocking; he doesn't know what he's doing out there when he isn't touching the football. Not his fault, of course; he's learning on the job. Been there, screwed up, done that.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I wanted to add a few thoughts to @Boomergump 's write up. I hope he doesn't mind.

We took a big step forward offensively this week. FB, MS, RJ, MLD, and CL played their best games to date IMO. We averaged 9.4 yards per play, which is really good. The offense is turning the corner IMO. If we improve as much this week as we did last week, we are going to be tough to beat. I know we lost and the second half was not as good as the first, but that is all MENTAL! We need to get our confidence back and act like we should win these games. We are finding ways to lose because the moment seems too big for us. We have talent to win these games we just need to believe in ourselves and play loose. It is crazy to watch on film. When we are down we can block a guy, but when we have a chance to get the lead we whiff. Same play, same group of guys, it is the craziest thing I've ever seen. Last week we improved our execution, this week we need to improve our mentality.

The offense is going to have to carry the defense. That is the way it is. This week we played more coverage to limit the big plays. It worked, but we couldn't get off the field. IMO we just need to live by the blitz and die by the blitz. We need to abandon the notion the D can carry us, they cannot. Pin our ears back, load the box, and let the chips fall where they may on D.

While we were behind we averaged almost 19 yards per play. That is insane. Let's just go for it offensively now that we have finally seen some sparks. Defensively, pin our ears back and take some chances. Make them beat us throwing, and bring more than they can block. Maybe we can catch fire again.

My one thing to add is coaches please teach JT to put it in the fifth row of seats instead of taking a 10-15 yard loss. Run blocking was better, but as said before pass blocking..... Doh.
At least we are seeing improvement, now defensively I say turn em loose. I rather see us take chances and make a few big plays than layback and get nickeled and dimed to death. Awesome write up as usual boomer.

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In that last minute and so, I really was hoping CPJ would try to get MM the ball on some kind of sweep. He could get us 20,30 or 40 yards in one play to set up a field goal. Pitt was expecting passes so we might could have sprung MM for a nice gain. Prolly would have missed the field goal anyway I suppose.;)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wanted to add a few thoughts to @Boomergump 's write up. I hope he doesn't mind.

We took a big step forward offensively this week. FB, MS, RJ, MLD, and CL played their best games to date IMO. We averaged 9.4 yards per play, which is really good. The offense is turning the corner IMO. If we improve as much this week as we did last week, we are going to be tough to beat. I know we lost and the second half was not as good as the first, but that is all MENTAL! We need to get our confidence back and act like we should win these games. We are finding ways to lose because the moment seems too big for us. We have talent to win these games we just need to believe in ourselves and play loose. It is crazy to watch on film. When we are down we can block a guy, but when we have a chance to get the lead we whiff. Same play, same group of guys, it is the craziest thing I've ever seen. Last week we improved our execution, this week we need to improve our mentality.

The offense is going to have to carry the defense. That is the way it is. This week we played more coverage to limit the big plays. It worked, but we couldn't get off the field. IMO we just need to live by the blitz and die by the blitz. We need to abandon the notion the D can carry us, they cannot. Pin our ears back, load the box, and let the chips fall where they may on D.

While we were behind we averaged almost 19 yards per play. That is insane. Let's just go for it offensively now that we have finally seen some sparks. Defensively, pin our ears back and take some chances. Make them beat us throwing, and bring more than they can block. Maybe we can catch fire again.
I don't mind at all, and thanks.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Lots of improvements in he first half, but we regressed in the second. We did a much better job of getting the middle linebacker early, and it showed.

We didn't have the ball a lot in the second half, but it really seemed like we got away from what was working with our later possessions. That three and out from the about the 10 on the north side was a killer. Not sure why we didn't try to start a death march there instead of going to the air early. Pass protection is virtually non existent, so it's easy in hindsight to say this, but it just seemed odd at the time.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I agree it was a great catch, but he's made several.

It probably was his best catch if you look at degree of difficulty + yards gained. I'm thinking of one more, maybe in 2012 against Duke or Carolina? Either way he's played really well this season. I think Jeune's TD was definitely the best play of his career, there shouldn't be question marks at WR in the near future.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Pass pro is a weakness. Our run blocking last year was as good as anyone's. Pass blocking wasn't very good last year IMO but was often just good enough. And we had veteran WR making plays to bail us out a bit at times inning down and distance situations. That margin of error isn't there this year. The more baffling thing to me is guys turning defenders loose unblocked and literally touching no one in the run game. I didn't get to watch the first half of the game but I assume this improved or we wouldn't have likely rapped up those yards and points. In the second half errors seemed to crop of forcing us into 2nd and long and third and long, where we struggle more this year than in years past.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
GT is not a good passing team. Shamire is built for pass blocking but it's not practiced so no one truly gets better.

The O wasn't a major issue this game but the flaws still wearied it's head in the end.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I was happy to see us look competent again. Pitt isn't Clemson, but they have a good team defensively. At the stadium, you can see they didn't respect the pass. I don't think it is their confidence in coverage as much as their disrespect for our blocking. The comeback is effective but it is a relatively long route. I hope we dust off the screens and dump offs from the spring and end of ND.

The defense had their worst game to date. It's frustrating to see us play decent in one phase, then fail in the other two. But that has been our season so far, and all three phases have taken turns.

Let's go ruin FSU's dreams and jump start a bowl run.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks Boomer. I thought we played better too especially on the pitches (a big notable exception that you noted).

I think that teams are "guessing" very well against us for one of two reasons. Either they are getting a tell from the way someone lines up (or goes in motion) or CPJ has become more predictable in how he responds to various situations / defenses. I think guessing is a great way to go because if you are right 50% of the time, it is hard to put together long drives; especially when we self destruct one of 3 plays.

Going into the second half the Pitt coach said on TV that they made D adjustments and would stop us. Pitt did exactly that. What were the adjustments or was it just Pitt played faster and shed tackles better in the second half?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Boomer. I thought we played better too especially on the pitches (a big notable exception that you noted).

I think that teams are "guessing" very well against us for one of two reasons. Either they are getting a tell from the way someone lines up (or goes in motion) or CPJ has become more predictable in how he responds to various situations / defenses. I think guessing is a great way to go because if you are right 50% of the time, it is hard to put together long drives; especially when we self destruct one of 3 plays.

Going into the second half the Pitt coach said on TV that they made D adjustments and would stop us. Pitt did exactly that. What were the adjustments or was it just Pitt played faster and shed tackles better in the second half?
The pitt head coach was an excellent dc for many years before he became a head coach. We will need to be ready with better effort and plan especially if he recruits defensive talent that would want to play for him.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Blocking in general was better, especially the run side. However the pass blocking is still a major area for improvement for various reasons.

Regardless of average yards per play, the bottom line is that we lost the battle of PPD.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

They blitzed a little more, bringing more players to the LOS and fired their CBs a little more often. There may be more than that I suspect, I just didn't recognize it in my study. I watched what we were doing fairly closely, but by Q3 didn't pay as much attention to them. Maybe I should go back and look for the adjustments. I have in my head what they were doing specifically in half 1 so I would recognize a change if they made one of any significance. Sorry, my brain doesn't pick up stuff (like CPJ)unless I am slowing things down and really looking for it.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We are just not doing enough to win-- Off as got to be more consistent, the dEF has GOT to make big plays to get off field and the STs have to do their job--not win game but don't lose it.