Film Study Film Study - Offense vs Alcorn St

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Sorry about that I stand corrected. What are you trying to say then? That CPJ was not playing him at the beginning of last year because of fumbling? My point was that if fumbling was truly the issue he would not have played at all.

Second string back will always get some carries. Especially against that level of competition. Either Johnson just didn't see the talent he had, which isn't likely true based on comments made earlier in the year or there was a reason for not playing him despite that, namely fear of turnovers.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Second string back will always get some carries. Especially against that level of competition. Either Johnson just didn't see the talent he had, which isn't likely true based on comments made earlier in the year or there was a reason for not playing him despite that, namely fear of turnovers.
Thanks, I understand. I don't know if I totally agree but I understand and it is a pretty reasonable position.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Always enjoy your analysis, Boomer. One thing I might add concerning running backs is that we essentially had all freshmen running the ball. Skov has played for a lot of years, but had less than 25 carries in his career I think. Probably the same could be said about Lynch and Willis. Only Snoddy has much experience running the ball. Marshall, Marshall, and Skov had never been in this offense until a month ago. Marshall, Marshall, Searcy, Jordan, and Allen had never carried the ball in a collegiate game until this week. There were no mishandled pitches or handoffs that I can recall even with playing two QBs. If they didn't execute the blocks, they all at least seemed to know where to go.

I have to take back something I wrote a few months ago. I said Snoddy would get 1000 yds. The reason I thought that is because I thought he would get way more carries than any other back since he was by far the most experienced. I was wrong. He may get fewer carries than Searcy or Marshall at A Back. This offense will present tremendous challenges. We have pile drivers, snakes, and cheetahs at running back on the field at the same time. A defense is going to have to be able to handle a lot of creatures simultaneously.

Glad we get Tulane before ND. Last year, we learned what this offense can do with the right QB and a good OL. This year we are going to learn what it can do with the right QB, a good OL, and more talented Backs.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO from the nose bleed north stands: Alcorn went 3 and out against our starters due mainly to poor throws and dropped passes. There was more action against the backups where the top two tacklers in the game were backup DBs (C Griffin and L Griffin), not the group I want to lead the D in tackles. It did look like Golden was very focused and Milton played tighter coverage. Else to me was same-o same-o. The starters did not get enough challenging snaps to guage very much.
These guys played the majority of the game. Wouldn't you expect them to have the more tackles? I am sure if the starters played at least 3 quarters. PJ and or Golden would be the leader in tackles.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I believe Daniel was saying he doesn't want the safety and corner positions getting more tackles than the linebackers. I think our nickel back will rack up a lot of tackles this year tho

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
What do you make of this? Like 2 brothers who just can't stop picking at each other.

Hey...somehow this is a key to a good season. Right?

Last edited:

Declinometer

Banned
If we are able to rest our ones in the 4th qtr vs Tulane, we should go into Indiana the fresher team being that ND will have played two tough ones against Texas and UVA

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's Labor Day. We are about to head to breakfast, but decided to watch the tv replay of the game a little first.

First touchdown drive just finished.
* All is right in the world-- on the first timeout, the Offense went to the sideline. Paul was fussing, and it looked like Errin Joe was catching a bit of it.
* Qua Searcy sure does look like he's going to be a fun weapon to have this year. Although we saw this at BDS the other night, his long run was even more impressive on tv.
* It was nice to see Broderick running fast and looking like he feels free mentally out there. We got to meet him a few weeks ago. Really impressive man.
* Shamire pulling out to the left (now watching the 2nd drive) and moving like a freight train is a thrilling thing to see from the tv vantage point.
* We've said this over and over again--but P Skov doesn't look like 235 lbs would normally look. He's a beast.

Last edited:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Boomergump The play in question is at 6:26 1st Q... I would do a vine but I don't like posting negative vines. The "jump over" looked like it was meant to be a hit but the defender fell down due to the cut block.

The first play also had an A Back block from the backside... similar to the the VT block that brought back JT's TD in 2014.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Boomergump The play in question is at 6:26 1st Q... I would do a vine but I don't like posting negative vines. The "jump over" looked like it was meant to be a hit but the defender fell down due to the cut block.

The first play also had an A Back block from the backside... similar to the the VT block that brought back JT's TD in 2014.
Thanks. I'm gonna look at that play again.... (edited 3 min later)..... That was it. That is a penalty 100%. There was contact made by Errin Joe (with Burden coming in low). Just because it was 80% whiff on Joe's part doesn't excuse him. The intent was all there and there was contact. We were lucky there was no flag. This mistake was born out of a botched assignment. Both guys felt the MLB was theirs. You can't double team that way, with one guy going low and the other high.

Last edited:

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
At the 13:00 mark in the 2nd qtr., Timmy Byerly runs for the first down. But, it's HOW he does it that's amazing. Lineman A. Marshall was engaging a tackler and Byerly plowed BOTH of them. Knocked them both down and kept running for extra yardage.

You won't see many qb's do that. (Nor do you necessarily want to) It was impressive, though.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's Labor Day. We are about to head to breakfast, but decided to watch the tv replay of the game a little first.

First touchdown drive just finished.
* All is right in the world-- on the first timeout, the Offense went to the sideline. Paul was fussing, and it looked like Errin Joe was catching a bit of it.
* Qua Searcy sure does look like he's going to be a fun weapon to have this year. Although we saw this at BDS the other night, his long run was even more impressive on tv.
* It was nice to see Broderick running fast and looking like he feels free mentally out there. We got to meet him a few weeks ago. Really impressive man.
* Shamire pulling out to the left (now watching the 2nd drive) and moving like a freight train is a thrilling thing to see from the tv vantage point.
* We've said this over and over again--but P Skov doesn't look like 235 lbs would normally look. He's a beast.
Speaking of Snoddy, remember that run of his where he got to the second level, cut back to the middle of the field, and got a leg hit by a shoulder pad just before taking it to the house? 9 out of 10 RBs get swallowed up in traffic before making that move across the field. That burst he showed, pulling past the pursuit, who had the angle and the head start, was amazing. It is moments like those that truly expose what kind of wheels a guy has. Snoddy is fine. He is back and doesn't appear to be favoring a leg. He has always had that little bit of a hitch in his stride.