Film Study - Defense vs NCST

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I liked this film review a lot. Do I suddenly think we have become talented on defense? No, sorry. But at least I feel we are on to a scheme that will maximize our talents and mitigate our weaknesses as best we can. We sent a lot of pressure, rarely less than 5 guys, on pretty much every play. It is risky and it cost us dearly several times throughout the contest, but you know what, it was a heck of a lot easier to watch than seeing us slowly bleed out like we had been. For much of the day we lined up in a 3-3-5 or 3-4 and just ran up to the line timing the snap with LBs in various places. It was genuinely hard to tell who was coming and who wasn't. We created a little confusion, but at the same time, a sense of urgency by their QB to get the ball out. He rarely had a lot of time, nor took a lot of time to get throws off. This helped tremendously with the DBs who were pressing more in coverage. We dared them to beat us over the top and they never really did. What they did do is gash us repeatedly with quick throws to the flats and QB run outs. Obviously, there were no LBs in those areas because they were jumping into the backfield so much.

I also liked this film review because they typically showed a wider field view than a lot of other broadcasts. This enabled me to watch our DBs in coverage a lot more than I usually can. So, I will start with that position group. I like our DBs and I think they are a strong group. With DJ playing boundary and them wanting to make quick throws, he saw a lot of balls coming his way. I think the world of this guy, I really do. In fact, he is our most gifted corner in a while. I would take him over Sweeting or Jemea (as CB not S). He has what I call elite closing speed. Technically, he has improved with his cover skills and footwork etc and he looks really comfortable out there and confident. I think he is an NFL player all the way. He is just coming into his own in terms of experience and will blossom as a widely recognized ACC figure. Milton is really fast too and he can cover. You may have noticed that there aren't many plays coming his way. He might be less instinctive and maybe a little less fluid in the hips, but he can play. I would like to see those two race. Durham looks like an athlete, but he looks like a frosh too. He needs to keep working. I like Austin #20. That kid is a baller even if he isn't big enough. He will HIT you and he plays ALL OUT ALL THE TIME. Overall, I am less impressed with our safeties, but comparatively speaking, they are way more representative of Power 5 starting material than our DL. They are not a weakness, but they are, all three, probably a stretch to make it to the league. There isn't quite good enough speed to make up for the lack of size or physicality on any of their parts. Perhaps it is more dramatic because of our dire need for physical run support caused by our weakness up front. You have to either be really fast or really physical (preferably both) to have a chance, our guys are neither, despite being good college players. I like Golden's ball skills more than his tackling.

Blitzing as much as we have been plays right to the strength of our LBs. None of them can cover worth a darn anyway (well maybe Nealy a little), or disengage from OL blocks at the second level, so why not send them? They are pretty good at flying around the backfield and turning themselves into missiles, so I say go for it. Those blitzes are good against the run too. Marcordes is best when he doesn't have to read much and just go. He had an active game and when he had a chance to make a play or two he came up big.

As always, the DL is really a patchwork job. We are trying to do whatever we can to give them help. Kallon played probably half the game so I got to see him a lot to form a better opinion. I guess now I wish I hadn't. You would think he would get tired of people pushing his 290 pounds around by now and get his f&#*ing pads down. Sadly, at present, he still plays way too high and he can't use his hands. When he chases a play he looks really athletic. He just has no feel for the leverage required in the trenches. I wish he could give Freeman about 30 of his pounds. We remain a difficult team to watch up front. Getting off blocks is a major challenge. Some of those run outs could be stopped if we could just separate. I like Gamble at DE, but only if we have Green at DT, otherwise, we still need to minimize Francis' snaps IMHO. Sorry. Stargel played a lot. Nothing. Got pushed around badly. Green gets most of the doubles, sometimes Adam. We are still in trouble here and, in truth, it is all smoke and mirrors right now. Rook-Chungong isn't giving us a lot either.

We are going to give up points in the coming weeks my friends. However, flying around like this will at least give us a chance to make some game changing plays or, just get a couple stops. We are an offensive football team. We just need this unit to give us a chance. If allowed generous breathers on the sidelines and a lot of points to work with, this defense can give us just enough. They won't be boring. That is for sure.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great last post of the night to read, thanks.

For me this hit it on the head, "Blitzing as much as we have been plays right to the strength of our LBs. None of them can cover worth a darn anyway (well maybe Nealy a little), or disengage from OL blocks at the second level, so why not send them?"

Also I remain very optimistic about the coming years once we get DT fixed with Glanton and Henderson and some more time on Gotsis and Gamble. Who knows, maybe Kallon will come on since what you are seeing the coaches have to be working on.

I think Freeman will be amazing at DE and someone else will step up. We have a lot of speed in the back field so I'm not worried about them if we can bring the pressure.

These guys are all playing their butts off. What I haven't seen all year is any slack plays like we saw too much of in 2010 to 2013. The attitude makes it more fun to watch; even though we are probably going to give up 60 total points in the next two games.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I thought we were really lucky on defense in this game. There was a lot of guys running free that the qb didn't see and threw to the wrong guy. There was a lot of guys who did get thrown to because they were open but were over thrown or just flat out dropped the ball. Our zones, when we did zone, were garbage. Good thing we hurried the qb or it might have been a shootout. We can't depend on every qb not seeing the field or making bad throws or having receivers drop balls.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

For me this hit it on the head, "Blitzing as much as we have been plays right to the strength of our LBs. None of them can cover worth a darn anyway (well maybe Nealy a little), or disengage from OL blocks at the second level, so why not send them?"

Also I remain very optimistic about the coming years once we get DT fixed with Glanton and Henderson and some more time on Gotsis and Gamble. Who knows, maybe Kallon will come on since what you are seeing the coaches have to be working on.

I think Freeman will be amazing at DE and someone else will step up. We have a lot of speed in the back field so I'm not worried about them if we can bring the pressure.

These guys are all playing their butts off. What I haven't seen all year is any slack plays like we saw too much of in 2010 to 2013. The attitude makes it more fun to watch; even though we are probably going to give up 60 total points in the next two games.
Very true on your last point.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I thought we were really lucky on defense in this game. There was a lot of guys running free that the qb didn't see and threw to the wrong guy. There was a lot of guys who did get thrown to because they were open but were over thrown or just flat out dropped the ball. Our zones, when we did zone, were garbage. Good thing we hurried the qb or it might have been a shootout. We can't depend on every qb not seeing the field or making bad throws or having receivers drop balls.
Good thing we play a freshman qb and a garbage quarterback for the next 2 games and those two are all I care about right now.

thwgjacket

I think optimism for next year should be as high as for future years with Glanton and Henderson. Jabari Hunt-Days has, by all accounts, grown into a monster. Whitehead will help too.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
i am Still somewhat concerned with our Safeties, they better learn to come downhill and tackle for that Georgia game. I'm not a fan of our secondary tackling. I'm optimistic for the future tho.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Sooooo, you're saying we're like the Aints when they won the Super Bowl that year, I'll take that!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If we only yield 60 points in the next two games, I will be pleased with our D.

We all know and understand the onus this year is on our offense to score, and score a lot, to win the game. Oddly, I think we might be able to do that against UGa, while I am less optimistic about it against Clemson. But that's because I watched Florida run all over Uga and no one has run all over Clemson since the opener against the Dawgs.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Great write up as usual. A tough read about the defensive line, but we need to hear the bad news. Sounds like Roof is getting all he can out of our undermanned defense.

Thanks

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know many of you argue that it isn't about talent. Well, when you have GREAT talent or you have VERY LITTLE talent, it IS about talent. Unfortunately, our D, and especially our D line, is VOID of any significant talent. So, that makes stopping good offenses very difficult. I am amazed at how many people still continue to think when this team allows easy drives/scores, that it is all about the D-coordinator. I am very happy with our D-coaches. I hope we can keep them here for awhile, and I sure hope we can recruit AND keep some decent talent for them to coach in the next few years.

Get ready folks for some frustration this weekend and the Saturday after T-giving with giving up points, unless one of our opponents makes a lot of mistakes. We will have to score almost every time we get the ball, and mistakes CANNOT happen on O.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I hadn't listened to the postgame press conference until just now and CPJ pointed out that he specifically challenged DJ White early on when White had given a big cushion and dropped back on a WR in zone treating him as the inside mans guy yet that WR was the only one on White's side of the field. So then the next time is when DJ did not drop back but read and then reacted and got the pick-6.

I thought that was an interesting point where CPJ was saying even within the zone scheme he wants to see DJ challenge a WR if that is the only guy on that side. If there is only one WR over there then it is "his man" I think he said.

So a question for the schematic gurus. Have you noticed any other similar kind of tweaks being put in place that has helped improve some of these defensive possessions the last few games? Given how well DJ did one on one I think this suggestion to him to feel free to break from strict "zone" play if the personnel on the opponent's O allows for it could be an important shift in the remaining games.

It is a similar tweak within the system like seeing Thomas on a 3rd and long audible into a dive. If we are starting to see certain Tech players gaining a little freedom on the field for improvisation it has to be a good sign as far as the maturation and further development of the team right?

[As an aside it also illustrated CPJ's in-game involvement in the coordination and success of the defense for those of us concerned with his "ownership" of the entire team as HC while maybe seeming more just the OC on game-days]

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Batman, I think DJ reported CPJ also saying something like, he's not getting past you which I took as a comment on his speed.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As usual kudos to Boomer.

We all know the biggest issue is the depth at the D line this year. The blitzes seem to help more often than not.
Just have to hope that the QBs in our next 3 - 4 (if we get to the ACCCG) games are rattled enough to rush passes and over/under throw and that WRs get gator arms and drop a few passes. Each of our next 3 - 4 games will be against teams going to a bowl, so we know the QB play will most likely be pretty good.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, Boomer.
yep, it looks like Roof got our message on blitzing NO MATTER what.:)We were very fortunate the last 3 wks for less than stellar QBs but we also affected things as opposed just getting rolled.
You could see the potential in White in the bowl game and when he learns to tackle well-look out.Did not Durham start for Milton? Milton is an athlete but not a natural DB .The pass in uva game over his head when he didn't take the deepest man reaffirms that.
btw-Boomer, don't you say Austin is not big enough! the Swarm police will rip you up,I know. He's a player but he is going to see A LOT of 6-4,230 guys to cover for next several yrs.(the 6-5,250 slow dude in this game was just a sample).
Davis is a NATURAL".The man knows how to tackle.When he gets bigger to get those OLs off him-look out.He is the only guy on team that takes the right angle, breaks down his stance for a base and delivers a correct/effective tackle almost EVERY time.
There isn't much talk about Gotsis going pro early now.Of course he is a decent DE being overmatched at DT.Green needs to get the Award for sacrificial victim of yr for the double-teams he has withstood.We need him badly for these games.

This def team now reminds me of the '99? team that gave up lots of yds and points but got TOs (and TDs) by the bunch.A strange combo but MUCH better than no def AND no TOs.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks, Boomer.
yep, it looks like Roof got our message on blitzing NO MATTER what.:)We were very fortunate the last 3 wks for less than stellar QBs but we also affected things as opposed just getting rolled.
You could see the potential in White in the bowl game and when he learns to tackle well-look out.Did not Durham start for Milton? Milton is an athlete but not a natural DB .The pass in uva game over his head when he didn't take the deepest man reaffirms that.
btw-Boomer, don't you say Austin is not big enough! the Swarm police will rip you up,I know. He's a player but he is going to see A LOT of 6-4,230 guys to cover for next several yrs.(the 6-5,250 slow dude in this game was just a sample).
Davis is a NATURAL".The man knows how to tackle.When he gets bigger to get those OLs off him-look out.He is the only guy on team that takes the right angle, breaks down his stance for a base and delivers a correct/effective tackle almost EVERY time.
There isn't much talk about Gotsis going pro early now.Of course he is a decent DE being overmatched at DT.Green needs to get the Award for sacrificial victim of yr for the double-teams he has withstood.We need him badly for these games.

This def team now reminds me of the '99? team that gave up lots of yds and points but got TOs (and TDs) by the bunch.A strange combo but MUCH better than no def AND no TOs.
Hey, if your defense can get a couple TOs for you every game, they can give up a ton of yards and still be a help.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer

That was 98 with Randy Edsall as DC. I actually told my dad that this defense reminds me of that team as far as producing turnovers.
23 turnovers gained and a few returned for TDs. That was with 11 games. We have 19 through 10 this season.