Film Study - Defense vs GSU

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
we get 2 of those projected starters back next year while only losing 1 senior. The rest will have an additional year of grow and game experience. I think the DL takes a major step forward next year.
We're still down 4 guys who all looked to be major contributors or starters next year. Losing Commissiong, Akins, and Kitchen in the middle and the replacements for them are 2 true freshman. We'll have Gotsis back. That's a very good thing. We'll have Gamble back, who thus far hasn't been able to crack the starting lineup. I would've expected Commissiong and Akins to be the best bets to start next year, with the other battling with Gamble for the backup. And, then who will we be relying on past Gotsis and Gamble ... Kallon and 2 true freshmen ... not a pleasant thought. Somebody needs to plant an "inception" idea about transferring to GT in some backup DT's at Ugag or Alabama who got in line with 7 other 5-stars for playing time and need a place to get on the field.

Hopefully we'll be better off after another couple years. Pray that those 2 guys we've got committed pan out physically, mentally, and academically.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree we're still behind the 8-ball, so-to-speak, next year. My only comment was that the situation next year will not be as dire as it is this year. However, to compound the difficulty with next year, we exchange GSU for ND and NCST for FSU. Although they'll be a better line next year, their performance may be less successful.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Let's look at third and long. Even the ushers and grannies in the stands knows what's coming. No fakes, no gimmicks, no play action, no excuses. Defend your man or zone and rush the passer. This is not brain surgery.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Finally watched the second half of the GSU game again. GSU made some good plays and they are a talented and athletic team, but...wow, that was ugly. Like many of you have said, I saw a LOT of poor angles and poor tackles...mostly by seniors. If they don't get it together soon, its going to be a loooooong year. I don't expect them to be perfect, but they consistently gave up long plays with missed assignments, bad angles, and "throw my body at you" tackling. The defensive line might be weak...but it looked like our LBs and secondary were just as weak. I hope they prove me wrong. I will root for them either way!

Go jackets!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Give Southern credit for having a very good, very experienced offensive line. That's an almost entirely senior group and those guys have had a lot of playing time in their career. And Southern has always had speed on offense - just ask PJ.
But ... the first TD run was a matter of inexperience, with two unblocked guys both taking the QB, leaving Breida alone to scoot past Isaiah and his very bad angle.
Southern got a lot of yards after contact, and there were a lot of missed/broken tackles. That can't happen when it's Miami or Georgia because it will be fatal.
I think the D can play better and will play better. It has to.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have to believe that defensively we are what we saw in half 1 of GSU and half 2 of Two-Lane. That is, just a decent defense, not a great one, but capable of getting some stops here and there. In 2009 (11 wins) we weren't a lot better on that side of the ball. We had a good DE in Derrick Morgan. After that? You have to go back and remember the FSU game and the like. That was a track meet. We weren't shutting people down. Remember the ACCCG against Clemson when we were all worried Dwyer scored too soon? Most likely, we are in for some of those in 2014.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have to believe that defensively we are what we saw in half 1 of GSU and half 2 of Two-Lane. That is, just a decent defense, not a great one, but capable of getting some stops here and there. In 2009 (11 wins) we weren't a lot better on that side of the ball. We had a good DE in Derrick Morgan. After that? You have to go back and remember the FSU game and the like. That was a track meet. We weren't shutting people down. Remember the ACCCG against Clemson when we were all worried Dwyer scored too soon? Most likely, we are in for some of those in 2014.
You forgot about Morgan Burnett on that team.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

This is a really good point. We were #100 in yards/play allowed. We were #56 in points allowed (probably much worse in points/drive allowed). I've been thinking that our O is more like 2008 than 2009, though. Hopefully, we'll pull it all together.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
You forgot about Morgan Burnett on that team.
yep. that D was bend don't break BUT they manned up when the time called for it. someone played balls out when we needed it. who's going to step up now? we need someone to be like derrick or morgan--or friggin' cooper taylor back in '08 during FSU game--and, make something happen when we need it most.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Finally watched the 2nd half again last night.
The back 7 seemed to run themselves out of the play. over pursuit, way too often.
Yes there was some holding that wasn't called but that always seems to be the case. Granted gold tinted glasses tend to filter those things out while we are on offense :)
Good news we stopped them at least once on 3rd down. The bad news was that they went for it and scored a 40+ yd TD :(

Hope we wrap up when tackling better today. That seemed to one of the biggest things we haven't done well.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
yep. that D was bend don't break BUT they manned up when the time called for it. someone played balls out when we needed it. who's going to step up now? we need someone to be like derrick or morgan--or friggin' cooper taylor back in '08 during FSU game--and, make something happen when we need it most.
Golden did that last week.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bend but don't break? How many points do you have to give up before you call it breaking? I agree with your statement though that they often rose up and made a play when they absolutely had to (ala Derrick Morgan getting the 4th down sack in the ACCCG), even if they had given up a ton of points until then.