Film Room Film Review GT v UNC 18

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
How do the QB and Bback communicate who ends up with the ball?

If you watch the mesh, notice the quarterbacks hands. If it is a dive/midline/other to the b back, he may only use one hand during the handoff. You can tell for sure it is not an option if the quarterback does not have two hands on the ball. The option to the b back requires two hands.

I learned that one hand goes in front of the ball towards the line of scrimmage. The other on the back side of the ball.

When the quarterback puts the ball in the b backs gut, the b back will sorta gently "squeeze" the ball to maintain possession if the ball is given.

If the quarterback does not give the ball, he will rotate the ball out of the b backs gut with the hand that is in front of the ball and move around him reading the next option.

If the read is to give the ball, one of the things we did was to give pressure on the ball into his gut before releasing it. But that was difficult to communicate.

I am sure there are times that the b back keeps the ball even though the quarterback is trying to pull it. I believe I saw that in a game this season, that the b back and quarterback "fought" over the handoff.

This football dance takes a lot of practice. Lots of mechanics have to happen quickly to get it right. First, a clean snap, with the quarterback firmly in control of the ball. Second, the quarterback has to turn, position the ball, and find the b backs gut and stick the ball in. This happens while he is looking at the defensive player he is going to option. The quarterbacks footwork has to be precise and balanced. He rides the b back during the mesh finalizing his decision to give or pull. All of this happens so quickly it has to become second nature to the players. It is not easy.

That is basically what happens. I am sure Johnson has all sorts of techniques I did not learn to make the mesh work well.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If the read is to give the ball, one of the things we did was to give pressure on the ball into his gut before releasing it. But that was difficult to communicate.
This is what I heard as well, but couldn't find anything to verify.

I am sure there are times that the b back keeps the ball even though the quarterback is trying to pull it.
I heard Dwyer was known to rip the ball from Nesbitt at times.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yeah, I definitely got the opinion that he was talking about adjusting the blocking assignments to make it easier to account for what unc was doing.

I’m no option...or any other kind of football guru. But it seemed clear to me that UNC was determined to plug the middle. CPJ said the GCG got their asses handed to them. When he sees that....he gets paid the big bucks to adjust. Any D can take something away from us if they are determined. UNC seemed determined to plug the middle. He needed to adjust better if that was the case.

Ditto if one or two of our guys is getting manhandled. Like has happened with BC and that DT Rahji?, or Pitts Aaron Donald. When we run up against a situation like Iowa where we just don’t match up in multiple spots, there is really not much he can do.

I think he could have done more vs UNC.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’m no option...or any other kind of football guru. But it seemed clear to me that UNC was determined to plug the middle. CPJ said the GCG got their asses handed to them. When he sees that....he gets paid the big bucks to adjust. Any D can take something away from us if they are determined. UNC seemed determined to plug the middle. He needed to adjust better if that was the case.

Ditto if one or two of our guys is getting manhandled. Like has happened with BC and that DT Rahji?, or Pitts Aaron Donald. When we run up against a situation like Iowa where we just don’t match up in multiple spots, there is really not much he can do.

All that said, w/o the fumbles and muffed 4th downs, we win in a laugher.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If you watch the mesh, notice the quarterbacks hands. If it is a dive/midline/other to the b back, he may only use one hand during the handoff. You can tell for sure it is not an option if the quarterback does not have two hands on the ball. The option to the b back requires two hands.

I learned that one hand goes in front of the ball towards the line of scrimmage. The other on the back side of the ball.

When the quarterback puts the ball in the b backs gut, the b back will sorta gently "squeeze" the ball to maintain possession if the ball is given.

If the quarterback does not give the ball, he will rotate the ball out of the b backs gut with the hand that is in front of the ball and move around him reading the next option.

I am sure there are times that the b back keeps the ball even though the quarterback is trying to pull it. I believe I saw that in a game this season, that the b back and quarterback "fought" over the handoff.

This football dance takes a lot of practice. Lots of mechanics have to happen quickly to get it right. First, a clean snap, with the quarterback firmly in control of the ball. Second, the quarterback has to turn, position the ball, and find the b backs gut and stick the ball in. This happens while he is looking at the defensive player he is going to option. The quarterbacks footwork has to be precise and balanced. He rides the b back during the mesh finalizing his decision to give or pull. All of this happens so quickly it has to become second nature to the players. It is not easy.

That is basically what happens. I am sure Johnson has all sorts of techniques I did not learn to make the mesh work well.

So basically this is why-- (1) the TO is so hard to stop (2) the TO is so hard to execute and is prone to fumbling.High risk/high reward

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So basically this is why-- (1) the TO is so hard to stop (2) the TO is so hard to execute and is prone to fumbling.High risk/high reward
I'd be more okay with our fumbles this year if they were mainly due to the risk nature of the offense. This year seems like it's primarily just be standard balls security. The Oliver fumble looked like he was holding the ball with one hand while being swarmed by defenders. Every player needs to treat the ball like it's sacred from here on out.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'd be more okay with our fumbles this year if they were mainly due to the risk nature of the offense. This year seems like it's primarily just be standard balls security. The Oliver fumble looked like he was holding the ball with one hand while being swarmed by defenders. Every player needs to treat the ball like it's sacred from here on out.

yep, but if you run 30-40 times a game you get tired AND sloppy--its bound to happen

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
yep, but if you run 30-40 times a game you get tired AND sloppy--its bound to happen

Yes fatigue plays a part. But fatigue doesn’t cause you to hold onto the balm in traffic with only one arm. That’s primarily a lack of focus on ball security fundamentals. And I don’t think that fumble came on his 40th carry of the game. I love Oliver though and have had the same gripes with TQM and JT.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Cheese,
After watching the film I think T.O .(mainly) could have pitched the ball on several occasions and been more successful.--esp when we ended up with 4th downs situations.
I'm willing to bet that Oliver was paying attention when Coach talked about ball security. The best way to secure the ball is to get it and never let go. If you are inexperienced, you will tend to do just that. This means you will miss some chances, but you will have less chance of fumbling in traffic.

Of course, fumbling the snap is another story.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

You mean like run outside? Or maybe come up with a play action pass designed specifically to take advantage of safeties playing up?