Film Room Film Review GT v UNC 18

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I always enjoy your analysis. Great that you break it down to show how simple and complicated this offense can be.

I especially liked how you highlighted the QB read on the dive option. Carolina did an interesting ploy of faking who was taking the B back and how the QBs were making better reads as the game progressed.

Having played QB in high school and running the option, the first read has to be made so quickly, and so clean, it is hard do get correct. It is great you point this out so clearly.

The QB/fullback mesh is almost an art. I have wondered how Johnson coaches this aspect of the game. The give/pull during the mesh is difficult to get just right.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You can call the QB midline. Midline simply means a run through the 0 or through the centers butt. We run several midline plays. We have midline option ( the one you are calling midline) we have midline dive, we have a midline trap and we have a midline keep.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
You can call the QB midline. Midline simply means a run through the 0 or through the centers butt. We run several midline plays. We have midline option ( the one you are calling midline) we have midline dive, we have a midline trap and we have a midline keep.
I’ve never heard this before. It makes sense logically, but anytime I’ve heard midline referenced I think it’s been midline option.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I’ve never heard this before. It makes sense logically, but anytime I’ve heard midline referenced I think it’s been midline option.

When it comes to football terminology what its called in one playbook is going to differ.

For instance in our playbook our base set is "Spread" according to Johnson when he's talked about it. In the flexbone system i played in ( that was directly based off the johnson system at southern) we called that formation Ace. What im talking about is a terminology on how to attack the field. It is highly likely that coach johnsons calls midline he's referencing the option. But seeing as longest and guys like alex carrick on youtube are looking at this without our actual playbook I was simply saying he wasn't wrong to call something going up the center's butt a midline.

As for terminology. When we are talking about power or veer run games you typically look at runs as being one of four types based on where they attack the line. im going to break down the targets and the normal offense play and then say which plays in our offense target what.

Midline- This is an attack that attacks the center of the line (usually the 0 hole) or the midline gap. Sometimes these plays can be traditional dives or traps that use midline clearing action ( center downs on backside tackle backside guard pulls through the gap to target the mike, playside guard drives the 3 tech). Usually zone schemes do not have plays that target this gap because the gap basically becomes the playside A gap.

A gap- this is is the bread and butter inside run target in most systems. A common play ran in a non flex system that targets this zone is the Straight dive / inside zone out of the singleback used all over the place in the NFL or the I-Form Iso.

Off Guard/ B gap - This is usual the target of a stretch or belly type play It is usually ran against the shade side behind a double block on the shade. Or a backside trap.

Off Tack/C gap - This is is one that targets the tackles outside hip. When on the end of the line the concepts can extend to unbalanced ( we usually don't call that a D gap but its what it is) Outside Zone plays used by 90 percent of offenses that use zone schemes mainly run off tackle OR targeting the B gap. Inside zone is actually very rarely run outside of the NFL level ( the read is very hard on most backs and you need a certain amount of speed to do it).

Off Tight end(for us this doesn't matter but in traditional flexbones and other offenses, this is toss crack, jet sweep etc)

as for our offense. The basic principle of a veer offense or an option offense is to challenge two or more gaps per play to force defenses to guess wrong. We do this by manipulating the unblocked defenders. So at a big surface level here are some play series and what gaps they target.

"Zone Dive"- This is usually not really a zone play, we rarely actually run a zone dive, most of the time vs ODD sets we run an B gap dive, or trap sometimes even with a center pull. Against an even set we typically run this against the shade. This play is a single gap play. Sometimes against an even front if they are particularly flowing hard with twirl motion we run this on the midline, usually with a counter action, often this gets called counter-trap but the target is usually off the centers butt as he clears the shade. We have 3-4 plays that really get called this and its all based on fronts.

"Midline"- Midline is a double option that targets off the center and the A gap. Its extremely fast hitting. This is not to be confused with QB follow. These plays are usually not the ones that hit homeruns unless they don't take the b-back. Sometimes we run a very similar action that targets the A and the B gap instead. This is usually against Odd fronts or if someone has a particular stud nose that is killing our center.

Triple out of standard sets- we run so many triple concepts that are fundamentally the same play but with different targets based on formation and this is the most analyzed play we have but safe to say this usually targets the weakside (shade) B gap ( dive) the C gap (keep) and the outside (pitch). The belly triple ( not often ran but we did run it in the past) this actually targets the 3 tech B gap and the C and the outside, its usually always ran when we are having trouble sealing the the backer and we are outside releasing the tackle because they are hard slanting the outside end. 90 percent of the time this is a keep read and ends up being a double option.

QB-Follow/QB ISo- more often than not this is what makes midlines confusing. This play is actually a load ISO that targets the B gap on the weakside or a gap on the playside or either if odd front. This is a keep the entire way, it has a fake action but its always a keep and designed to run off the b-backs hip. Usually it takes on a bit of a zone feel when ran to the a gap side as its based on how the three tech plays it. if he crashed hard usually the guard washes him and the a-back goes to take the mike and the QB takes an outside line. if he jumps out the QB follows inside as the guard vertically removes him and he takes a straight line.

Zone Option- This is a new one for us, we have so far been running it out of the tight formation and it targets the C and D outside gap with a load. Unlike most options which seek to get the ball to the a-back or the b-back. this one is a QB keeps unless. Off of this play we have the QB lead sweep, now also the A-back reverse and the zone action pass.

wow this got long. And agian remember this is the terminology I know. I tried to map our common names to what i know.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When I watched the replay of this game, and then listened to @Longestday give another of his very helpful explanations of how the offense worked, or didn't, I am more impressed with UNC. They are not a bad team. They certainly have some weaknesses, but they have some great athletes on that team. We should be very respectful of the effort our guys gave in turning the game back to our advantage when UNC tied the score and had the ball. This game could have gone the other way.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I want to add a little clarification for anyone that didn't understand the zone dive statement.

A Zone play usually means that the running back is finding a hole that appears after the play begins. They are looking for the comeback lane and the line is blocking the zone to create that potential lane based on how the defense moves. These plays are usually one of two varieties. Inside Zone which looks to create this gap in between the guards shoulders . Or outside zone, usually with stretch action from under center ( more of an NFL thing) or from gun. Outside zone is looking to run outside the tackle or run up field underneath a line looking to zone that area.

The Zone Read for instance is unlike our option game in that usually both running lanes are outside. With the read to cut up. The read end determines if the outside zone is going to the left or to the right. The line is blocking zone (and some times doing it flat to the line) so that you can easily add a zone read triple concept with the quick throw based on the outside backer.

Our Zone Option uses this concept kinda its run more like an outside stretch with an option action off of it. And thr qb taking the stretch path.

Zone blocking is a simpler scheme and requires less footwork and precision which is why it is favored in the nfl where pass defense is a premium.

The reason i said we rarely if ever run a true zone dive is that most of the time we are man up power blocking the called dive using things like cross blocks or chips to open a particular gap rather than the b back reading. The last time I honestly remember us running a true zone dive was 2010 with Allen. It looked like draw action to give the b back enough time to read the line. And we did it specifically for Dwyer.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
When I watched the replay of this game, and then listened to @Longestday give another of his very helpful explanations of how the offense worked, or didn't, I am more impressed with UNC. They are not a bad team. They certainly have some weaknesses, but they have some great athletes on that team. We should be very respectful of the effort our guys gave in turning the game back to our advantage when UNC tied the score and had the ball. This game could have gone the other way.

IIRC, UNC beat Pitt, lost a heart breaker in 2OT to Use, and fumbled away a win over VT at the 1yd line. They probably get us if #10 doesn't get hurt at qb. They are about three plays away from leading the Coastal. Let's hope they don't get a good coach next year.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the breakdown. I can see why it would be tricky the way UNC was playing the mesh to make that read. Would shortening the mesh time have helped in that instance, or do you just need to make the right choice?

I thought the rule of thumb was give when in doubt....

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
@Longestday at the 9:00 mark of your video is a picture-perfect mesh charge executed by #1.

On a mesh charge the DE turns his shoulders towards the B-Back/Mesh to make it look like a typical C-Stunt but his responsibility is the QB the whole way. It is the hardest read to diagnose because it is designed to make the QB pull so the DE can gobble him up (which is exactly what happened).

After TO comes in you can see he makes the correct read by giving to the B-Back. To be fair, my guess is that when CPJ sent in the play he probably told TO to watch for the mesh charge and give.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I always enjoy your analysis. Great that you break it down to show how simple and complicated this offense can be.

I especially liked how you highlighted the QB read on the dive option. Carolina did an interesting ploy of faking who was taking the B back and how the QBs were making better reads as the game progressed.

Having played QB in high school and running the option, the first read has to be made so quickly, and so clean, it is hard do get correct. It is great you point this out so clearly.

The QB/fullback mesh is almost an art. I have wondered how Johnson coaches this aspect of the game. The give/pull during the mesh is difficult to get just right.
How do the QB and Bback communicate who ends up with the ball?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I havent read everything here. But the outside play we run with Oliver is essentially a stretch play. Its based off some outside zone principles. He has lane choice and he rarely options off of it. Its a but symantics to be honest. We block that play almost identical to classic stretch plays. Its a very nfl scheme and a harder one to execute. You dont see it much in ncaa. The tackle can ride or cut. We seem to run it really well. And oliver is good at cutting up field and finding those holes. In some cases it seems they are just called stretches meant for the qb to keep.

This wide play kills the defense because how the ends and second level have to attack creates a big problem for action over center on dives. Especially if the backside tackle is cutting him man down and the playside gaurd can drive the 3 off.

I think its one reason ds have not adjusted well. We havent run this action much ever.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How do the QB and Bback communicate who ends up with the ball?

Usually footwork and body position relative to the ball in his belly. If he is past the qb he takes the ball and its a give. If the qb pulls it has to happen quick enough; lots of feel to it for sure.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Quick question for our more football astute members: on the radio show and the presser, CPJ mentioned that we didn’t have a good day in the center-guard box, but both times he mentioned that he could have done more to help them.

Obviously, I assume that meant changing up the blocking on the DT, but does anyone have any insight as to what the problem(s) were and what could have been changed to help?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought he said MLB blocking could have helped. Normally the center and the OT block the MLB. I don't know that answer...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Quick question for our more football astute members: on the radio show and the presser, CPJ mentioned that we didn’t have a good day in the center-guard box, but both times he mentioned that he could have done more to help them.

Obviously, I assume that meant changing up the blocking on the DT, but does anyone have any insight as to what the problem(s) were and what could have been changed to help?

I thought he said MLB blocking could have helped. Normally the center and the OT block the MLB. I don't know that answer...

Yeah, I definitely got the opinion that he was talking about adjusting the blocking assignments to make it easier to account for what unc was doing.