Favorite 2021 GT FB Memories

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I admire optimists. What I can't stand is the grumps who put down everyone who doesn't don the gold-colored glasses.

It's not the lack of gold colored glasses. It's the same stupid negative message in every single topic.

Here, in this topic about favorite moments we have these posts.

Nice try Geoff

Walking out of HGF/BDS before halftime of COFH - putting an end to a miserable season.

This is too easy. The last play of the Georgia game. The season mercifully comes to an end.

My favorite memories:

I'll add to that :

Not when you’re alive just to suffer. I’m ready for that Swedish suicide pod after this season and off season.

There’s a lot I’m thankful for.

But none of those things are associated with Tech football.

This in a topic specifically for positive memories and this is what we get. Same as every topic on this board.

At this point this isn't being realistic or pessimistic. It's being the drunk uncle who can't keep his political opinions to himself at thanksgiving dinner, or the guy who walks around telling children santa isn't real. Basically, it's being an *** hole. It doesn't take gold colored glasses to just keep your negative BS to yourself.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The events where its became so obvious we suck are in a wierd way my favorite memories.

The uga game at bds was all red.
Only way it became red was the "" loyal millionare season ticket holding gt alums """" sold there seat. They are so cheap that they want to minimize their loss. I am glad the prez was pissed. We now must face the truth - football costs $$ and our alumni are cheap. I have hope the new prez will be proactive with gtaa.

Seeing cgc stop chasing the ball on incomplete passes then delivering them to the sideline official. About half way thru the year he became so busy talking in the head phones he didnt even notice them. Got to be happy about little growth steps. Similarly cgc quit standing over each injured player during the time out. It became silly looking when after 2 minutes of cgc care, the guy gets up and walks off the field. Never seen a hc act like he is the injured players mother like collins does in middle of game. Glad he is now briefly checking but getting on to other coaching duties.

The best example kf him getting on to coaching duties was wgten he screamed at thacker. Back in roofs day andy told me about one time late in game when cpj wanted roof to stop playing passive. Andy said roof said not yet and the head phones lite up. Glad to see priority.

When Nd & uga DL crushed the pocket so badly that we knew we are years away from having a stout ol . Got to jazz up play calling , get tall qbs, some how find wr and use portal for immediate ol. Cgc is taking action - i will remember that as a positive.

Lets all try think of little things that give hope that gt fb is no longer going down as a program.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There lots of truth to this here. It's like anything else in life, too much/too little of one thing is often not good balance is always the challenging part.
Three straight three-win seasons is enough to get me a little off-balance, but I do appreciate those who point out the upsides. I do hope their optimism proves nascent.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not the lack of gold colored glasses. It's the same stupid negative message in every single topic.

This in a topic specifically for positive memories and this is what we get. Same as every topic on this board.

At this point this isn't being realistic or pessimistic. It's being the drunk uncle who can't keep his political opinions to himself at thanksgiving dinner, or the guy who walks around telling children santa isn't real. Basically, it's being an *** hole. It doesn't take gold colored glasses to just keep your negative BS to yourself.
No, it’s being the fan of a team that can’t beat Citadel or Directional Illinois while the arch rival is playing for a national championship.

The opposite of supporting Tech isn’t negativity, it’s apathy. When people who frequent Tech message board get to that level (which isn’t far off) then all is lost.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That was precisely what I thought. UNC was widely seen as the second best team in the ACC and was ranked tenth in the nation. We turned the proverbial corner and walked smack dab into the wall.

Just an FYI, UNC offense finished the season at #21 FEI. That was a pretty offense our defense wrecked. Unfortunately, we just couldn't carry over that performance for the rest of the year. Much to our disappointment, that game was a one off for us.

slugboy

Staff member
That was precisely what I thought. UNC was widely seen as the second best team in the ACC and was ranked tenth in the nation. We turned the proverbial corner and walked smack dab into the wall.
For what it’s worth, I thought that we needed to win the following week and have two back-to-back wins to be really turning the corner. The week after UNC needed the best coaching job of the year. It needed new wrinkles on offense and defense, and to build on the win. We didn't seem to roll out anything new for the following game, and had the train wreck against Pitt.

These two onsides against UVA were great though.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No, it’s being the fan of a team that can’t beat Citadel or Directional Illinois while the arch rival is playing for a national championship.

The opposite of supporting Tech isn’t negativity, it’s apathy. When people who frequent Tech message board get to that level (which isn’t far off) then all is lost.
I'm okay with negativity as long as it's discussing how to be better (without saying "fire the coach" because that's not happening right now). I'm always up for learning something new. You're right that negativity means you care enough to complain. I think we're far from apathy, especially on this Board.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm okay with negativity as long as it's discussing how to be better (without saying "fire the coach" because that's not happening right now). I'm always up for learning something new. You're right that negativity means you care enough to complain. I think we're far from apathy, especially on this Board.
I'm not that far from it, and I have 20,000+ at the other site over 10 years. Plus I have multiple Tech degrees, my wife has multiple Tech degrees, and I taught there for many years. If I'm ready to walk away, we're close to collapse.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Funny

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was there when people felt the same way about Bill Curry. Geoff Collins is in a very similar situation to Curry in 1982. Coach Curry won 1 game in 1980 and Ug won the MNC. Curry won 1 game again in 1981, trailing Ug 0-34 at half before losing 7-44. CBC was not popular to say the least, and his inexperience as a head coach was obvious at times. Homer Rice, who did not hire Curry, believed in him and his fit with GT and kept him, and Curry's 1982 team went 6-5.

Curry made mistakes, learned, worked hard and turned the program around. I can see a similar outcome happening with CGC. He has acknowledged the shortcomings. Our recruiting base has improved, needed changes have been made to the staff, and the team is hungry for success. Winning the opener against CU@MB is key, in my opinion.
One problem = Bill Curry had - wait for it - Bobby Dodd to go over every game with him and critique his performance for the first 3 years. It's easy to learn how to coach when you have somebody like that looking over your shoulder.

Unfortunately, no such luck for Collins. Too bad, that.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Watching the Clemson game - I actually really enjoyed most of that game even though we lost
8 sacks in MBS over UNC
Jeff Sims to Adonicas Sanders for the win

I hate to say it, but that's pretty much it for me. We just seemed to get worse after the UNC game (and yeah, I know we beat Duke)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
One problem = Bill Curry had - wait for it - Bobby Dodd to go over every game with him and critique his performance for the first 3 years. It's easy to learn how to coach when you have somebody like that looking over your shoulder.

Do we know that? I'm not suggesting we do, but just asking.

slugboy

Staff member

You would think that helped, but even Curry’s good years weren’t all that great. The tail end of Curry’s tenure overlapped my undergrad days.
He also had the advantage that his surrounding coaches weren’t all that innovative.
Even accounting for rule changes, I’d confidently put the top coaches of this era against the top coaches of the 70’s and 80’s. It’s a different era now, and coaching today is ahead of where it was even 20 years ago. There’s very little margin of error.
I do think there are outside experts that could help our coaches a lot. There are far more that would waste time and energy though—we’d need to be picky

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

You would think that helped, but even Curry’s good years weren’t all that great. The tail end of Curry’s tenure overlapped my undergrad days.
He also had the advantage that his surrounding coaches weren’t all that innovative.
Even accounting for rule changes, I’d confidently put the top coaches of this era against the top coaches of the 70’s and 80’s. It’s a different era now, and coaching today is ahead of where it was even 20 years ago. There’s very little margin of error.
I do think there are outside experts that could help our coaches a lot. There are far more that would waste time and energy though—we’d need to be picky
Even hs coachs at small schools have computers! They can go on line and get films, break downs.
In hs there are a lot of lazy coaches who use tech just enough.

Young college coaches that dig in to tech and use it at high competition level get better fast.