Fantastic article about Dedrick Mills

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Somewhat...

This is not a knock on KB in the slightest but DM had the ability to take on ANYONE and still get another yard or two. KB May eventually be able to do that but DM is a different breed.

I would put DM up against every huge DL on Clemson’s line and bet he could get still get that last yard that’s needed.
Yep...different kind of runners...and Dedrick was an absolute animal at the goal line. There were several times where he dragged 2-3 guys into the end zone with him. Probably the hardest runner I've ever seen play at Tech.

Honestly though if you hadn't seen him play, when you look back at Dedrick's stats he didn't seem all that incredible except for one thing...he had 12 TD's in 9 games played. Extrapolate that out for the four games he missed and he'd have 16 TD's for the season, which would have been good for 4th all-time in the Tech records (oh...and he was a true freshman...). But, still...we as fans tend to remember scores pretty vividly and forget about all the other stuff that happened leading up to it sometimes.

It doesn't really matter anymore anyhow. KB is the guy, and he had a great year last year...and he was only a Soph. He's only going to get better if he's bigger and faster. I have big hopes for he and Taquon this year!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad Dedrick is committed to doing well and I hope he tears it up in some P5 league eventually, as long as it isn't the ACC. Personally, I blame the policy at Tech for his having to leave. I don't object so much to the three strikes rule as to the obvious lack of followthrough with counseling. I mean you counsel the kid once and then you watch him by using drug tests? Then all you do on a second offense is suspend him? Only someone who never talked seriously to Mills about his family situation would have recommended a course of action like that for a drug that can create psychological dependence.

Sure, this is the cheap way out and I get all the personal responsibility stuff I might see in return already. What I'm talking about here is a course of treatment that might have, you know, worked. If you are going to have a strict policy about dope - and, again, I don't object to that - it has to be coupled with something more then a "heart-to-heart" talk or two and some serial drug tests. That strategy is almost guaranteed to fail, especially in young people who have family problems like Mill's.

Luckily, we have a back coming back for his second season who promises to be as good as Dedrick was (I hope). Still, he was what we were waiting for and now he'll play for someone else.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Great article. I think everyone will be pulling for Mills to have a successful life. I hate the way the Mills story turned out at GT, but now we have Benson. Nothing again Mills, but Benson made me forget about him. I hope Mills makes it to Nebraska and has a great career. I hope Benson is in the running for the Heisman his senior year.

Benson is good but Mills was the man. Since his debut in the Boston college game, I finally had a new favorite player since Dwyer. I was ready to purchase a #26 jersey and ready for him to plow over Tennessee’s defense. I was livid and crushed when Tech announced his dismissal two weeks before the opener. I am still salty about Mills lol.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Benson is good but Mills was the man. Since his debut in the Boston college game, I finally had a new favorite player since Dwyer. I was ready to purchase a #26 jersey and ready for him to plow over Tennessee’s defense. I was livid and crushed when Tech announced his dismissal two weeks before the opener. I am still salty about Mills lol.
I bet a lot of folks are going to want a #30 jersey sooner than later. Apparently Benson has been working his tail off. Should be an interesting season!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Ask a police man that works the night shift or a person that works in an ER and see what they say about pot not causing impairment.
Also read the medical reports regarding ling term use mental related issues.

Just pointing out that there are problems related to recreational marijuana use.

Yes there are problems with recreational marijuana use, but it should also be pointed out that the problems are significantly lower and less severe than those related to alcohol use (which is pretty much universally accepted among college students). The punishments for marijuana use should be no harsher than for alcohol use.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
IIRC, Ken's article is the first "official" acknowledgment that pot was the reason for DM's release. Most people assumed that was the case, and some claimed they knew it was so, but until now did anyone outside the AA actually know it to be so?

Only because Dedrick stated it is why CPJ is acknowledging the testing, etc. I knew (2nd hand from a real good source) but never specifically stated that was the case. Wouldn't have been right to do so.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I do not like the rule at all. Regular students are not drug tested, and I assume students on academic scholarship are not either.

And if testing is not aligned to an evidence based recovery timeline -- based on remission timelines, not, idk, the football schedule -- then the program is just punitive.

The players know they are subject to testing. Part of the "contract" with the scholly. The "regular" students are not getting a basically all expenses paid education with some spending money to boot.

The testing measures the amount, thus in time the reading would decrease unless re-exposed. Dedrick did it to himself. He now knows that. He got the allowed "2" positives before being removed on strike 3.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
We should change the policy. Counseling rather than removal from the team is a much better approach. You're risking someone's chance at a million dollar career over a substance that more than half the country thinks should be legal. The policy is stupid, and does not benefit anyone - not the team - not the athlete - not the program. I think most of the "he knew the rules" crowd in this thread are from the the over 40 crowd. Nothing against that cohort, but i think you're completely misreading the younger generations feelings about marijuana. Kicking someone off a team for recreational marijuana use is absurd. If it's affecting their schoolwork or other areas of life, that's one thing, but otherwise people need to let others live their own life.

IMO, binge drinking is a much bigger problem with far more devastating consequences to your health, life, and society. And I'm saying this as a person who drinks but doesn't care for weed.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
The players know they are subject to testing. Part of the "contract" with the scholly. The "regular" students are not getting a basically all expenses paid education with some spending money to boot.

The testing measures the amount, thus in time the reading would decrease unless re-exposed. Dedrick did it to himself. He now knows that. He got the allowed "2" positives before being removed on strike 3.

I'm not arguing the mechanics of a drug test or whether he knew or what he smoked and when. Presumably, SAs also know that it's a one year "contract" that can be dropped at any time. That doesn't make it the just or optimal choice for the Institute.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We should change the policy. Counseling rather than removal from the team is a much better approach. You're risking someone's chance at a million dollar career over a substance that more than half the country thinks should be legal. The policy is stupid, and does not benefit anyone - not the team - not the athlete - not the program. I think most of the "he knew the rules" crowd in this thread are from the the over 40 crowd. Nothing against that cohort, but i think you're completely misreading the younger generations feelings about marijuana. Kicking someone off a team for recreational marijuana use is absurd. If it's affecting their schoolwork or other areas of life, that's one thing, but otherwise people need to let others live their own life.

IMO, binge drinking is a much bigger problem with far more devastating consequences to your health, life, and society. And I'm saying this as a person who drinks but doesn't care for weed.
I'm 20, but he still knew the rules. He had his chance and he only has himself to blame. In saying that though, I wish Dedrick all the best because he seems like a really good guy and I hope he gets it straightened out.