Fall Camp Post Practice

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Well, he is certainly positive and energetic. It is hard to make definitive conclusions after just a couple of days of practice. Maybe he has "major holes in his lineup" as Knox concludes but that would not be anything different from what we had in the past. I personally think the recruiting deficiencies are going to show up on the defensive side of the ball and it will be a work in progress for a couple of years. Many people will disagree with that assessment and they may be right but until I see pressure on opposing quarterbacks and solid open field tackling color me skeptical. Coach Thacker has his work cut out for him as does Coach Key. If I were him, I would check on Coach Coleman's eligibility, someone may have made a mistake.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am still not sure what you are arguing. That we didn't recruit to our previous scheme? Hardly seems debateable. For example, since Collins took over, we have gone after both statuesque pocket passers and dual threat QBs. We didn't do that before. This isn't a judgment of good vs bad, but the philosophy is clearly different.

No, I'm saying that both recruit to their system and adjust what they do within the system based on personnel.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
The question came at about 2:20, and his explicit ref to what we ran and how we recruited to it came at about 2:50.
It doesn’t matter. What he is saying is that we will adjust our player groupings, formations and play calls to what the players do well. CPJ sort of did it by play calling but he recruited to the system he ran for 35 years. The main point though is CGC is making a statement to recruits as well as the current players and establishing the brand. If what he says about the prior regime isn’t 100% accurate who cares.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
um...no its not. the QB reads the playside OLB if he steps up to the hole its a pass to the post route if the OLB drops he hands it to chub on the power play. Neither are screen actions at all. A screen to a WR asks the OL to go downfield and tunnel, and one to the RB asks the rushers to get up field and the RB slips behind them. In both cases neither are run option, neither read the OLB and are just called plays. Not to be rude here, I am explaining, but RPO has nothing to do with a screen concept. Its a zone or power concept, blended with an option key and a quick passing game.

yes the read key is basic. Just like any option. Executing is not easy it hits fast and you have to be accurate.

As a note, this is a similar play we intercepted vs UGA to beat them IIRC a couple years back. We picked off a RPO in UGA's redzone in OT (Milton did it maybe?)
The play really works if the QB is running off of it as much as he is passing. Ugag has really good RBs and decent WRs, but their QB tends to either hand off or pass. If the QB goes ahead and runs off the read - like, say, Bo Wallace used to do at Ole Miss or Jesse Erst at Kansas State - as well as passes, then the play becomes pretty hard to stop.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It doesn’t matter. What he is saying is that we will adjust our player groupings, formations and play calls to what the players do well. CPJ sort of did it by play calling but he recruited to the system he ran for 35 years. The main point though is CGC is making a statement to recruits as well as the current players and establishing the brand. If what he says about the prior regime isn’t 100% accurate who cares.

Like I said, I'm encouraged by what he said otherwise. I just expressed the caveat that if his comments reflect his understanding then that's concerning. Tifwiw.

64jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
My friend who is there said Clemson is gonna eat our Offensive line up all night. He also said the D line looked small but I'm not surprised to hear that
I was there today and Sir your friend is correct 100% . We all need to slow our roll on this. After today i am. This is going to take a few years to get his kids in. 5 -5 at best . I will be there every game doing my part GO JACKETS !
"THWG"

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My first impression of a practice under the new staff is it really is chaotic. They certainly get a lot of reps, but it seems like the opportunities to teach are limited. It seemed like the pace lead to some sloppiness, but I’m sure this approach has its advantages. Hopefully the chaos helps them focus in game situations and doesn’t lead to developing sloppy habits.

The players that stood out to me were some of the new receivers. Brown and Davis both looked great and there were a lot of nice catches made by a lot of guys, although the passing overall seemed pretty inconsistent. Offensive line looks like they have a lot of work to do before Clemson.
Yessss. I had a long standing fued with some of the other baseball coaches when I coached kid baseball. Some of them - they were mostly old ballplayers - thought the way to win was to play as many games as you could and move players to where they did best as a result. Problem = this a) shortchanged the less talented kids and b) needed a core of really good players to win. Further problem = that discouraged the other kids ,who went through the motions, but never played to their potential. I, oth, was a great believer in practice. Specialized practice where the kids had to develop particular skills; I didn't let anybody off the hook, even my son, who was usually the best player I had. We played scrimmage games when we could, but I warned the opposing coaches that I would stop the whole business and explain why a play had screwed up (never the kid). About 1/3rd of the other coaches - including the one former pro in the park - agreed with me. Our practices looked a lot more regimented then the "play games" crowd.

Well, the bottom line was that both approaches worked and there's no reason to believe the same applies in football. But I liked mine - it was like Paul's - better.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Isn't it a little early for all this woe is me stuff?

Haha. We are GT fans, remember. I actually think getting flung into the deep end game 1 may be an advantage. They should be sharp and motivated in the next 3, very winnable games. Playing USF will be childs play after going through the ringer in Death Valley. Stay positive, ya'll. It isn't like we weren't already getting obliterated by Clemson and that will take time to fix. Lets measure our progress by what we do against Duke, Pitt, etc.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I was there today and Sir your friend is correct 100% . We all need to slow our roll on this. After today i am. This is going to take a few years to get his kids in. 5 -5 at best . I will be there every game doing my part GO JACKETS !
"THWG"
Yall got anymore them Brauns over 'Er?

*Scratching neck like a crackhead*

herb

Helluva Engineer
Anyone that thinks we have a snowballs chance in hell against Clemson is lying or heavily intoxicated. They’ve basically dominated us since 2011 (barring a Deshaun Watson injury).

It’s gonna be a woodshed game.

They have basically dominated pretty much everyone since then, but your larger point seems to be true. I mean we are, what, 34 point underdogs?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
While I agree that Clemson should be expected to dispatch with us, please keep in mind- Clemson graduated their whole defensive line to the NFL. Yes, like UGAg, Bama and all the other assorted powerhouses similar to them, they have a bunch of former 4 and 5 star recruits in the wings, but don't expect their defense to be as dominating as it has been the last couple of years. Their offense should be as good or even better, if possible.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
So I’ve read a lot about how far we have to go.

But my question is how far have we gone? What looked good. Y’all are over here crying like babies lol what looked GOOD?
Defense looked good today. Lots of pressure on QBs due to blitzes etc. lots of INTs due to the pressure. But can’t really judge the offense on this IMO plus we had a couple guys out on OL. Receivers looked good. QBs looked good at times. It’s very early, long ways to go but I am optimistic