Fall Ball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looks like it was largely poor defense on both sides that contributed to the large number of runs. No box score but there were a bunch of unearned runs in the write-up. No surprise when I think about it.

http://ramblinwreck.com/baseball-falls-to-south-carolina-in-wild-exhibition-14-10/ has a write-up. I'll be watching D1 Baseball too; Aaron Fitt likes GT and has said so on several occasions.

Here's some pitching details: "Leading with four strikeouts a piece was juniors Xzavion Curry and Connor Thomas, who both pitched two innings to start the game. Junior transfer Amos Willingham was the other Jacket to throw 2.0, punching out three batters and only allowing one hit during his outing. Freshman Walker Barlow allowed an unearned run in his 1.0 inning of work, but struck out all three of the outs needed."

Most interesting thing is our new JC transfer Amos Willingham. Aaron Fitt called him out as the best yesterday.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I got to watch from about the T6 on. I saw Willingham K the last out of top of the 6th, so I can’t comment too much on him, but that AB he looked really good. Bartnicki looked REALLY good in his inning. Guess I saw 9 pitchers and only a couple really struggled. Jake Lee and Keyton Gibson looked sharp. Barlow and Hugh Chapman have good stuff, just struggled a little with control...”effectively wild” if you like to use that term. Mannelly looked good.

CDH experimented with his defensive lineup using Waddell, Serratos, and Wilhite at different spots in the infield. Both Serratos and Wilhite made a couple of great plays at 3B. I might like Wilhite at 3B and Serratos at SS the best. Radcliff got an inning at 1B...and had 2 errors. Will just need to keep working over there. Micah Carpenter played both corner spots and got at least 3 ABs. He’s got really good speed surprisingly. Not sure if that’s CDH is looking at seriously or just doing some experimenting. I didn’t get to see many of the “starters” hit.

I’m cautiously optimistic at this point

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Aaron Fitt's "Fall Report" on GT is out. He has long liked GT. Conclusion: If our defense improves, we can be a top 25 team.

A lot of details on how the pitching has gotten better.
  • Connor Thomas - "analytics darling". Against USC he gave up some runs early then struck out 4 of 5.
  • Xzavion Curry - has the pitches and power but needed better control to start. Ended first with three straight SOs.
  • Tristin English - May be the nations premier 2 way player. Glad that he didn't get drafted or leave post draft!! Aaron noted it was a huge coup for us to get him back.
  • Hurter and Archer aren't pitching this fall.
  • Jake Lee - Looked good against USC and could be a mid reliever. For whatever reason, I really like Jake; may be his attitude on the hill.
  • Amos Willingham - Juco with three quality pitches. Start mid-week and then move to weekend or bullpen was Aaron's guess.
  • Luke Bartnicki - "crown jewel" of 2018 Fr recruiting class. Good against USC with 3 pitches. According to Hall, Luke has really improved his slider. (One of these days I'll figure out again how to tell what the pitch is when it's thrown.)
  • Cort Roedig - Fr good in his one USC inning.
Offense - good again with McCann, Murray, Serratos were some mentioned.

Defense - sucked (my words to paraphrase Aaron) against USC.
  • Waddell made some nice plays at second against USC.
  • Austin Wilhite - struggled early in the summer then went to NECBL and was an all star. So we'll see.
  • Oscar Serratos - "one of Tech's most phusically gifted players". Capable of making great plays at third but not consistent. Regardless, I love him on the base pads.
  • Baron Radcliffe - may get some time at first when Tristin isn't there. Needs to hit better with his power to spare.
  • Nick Wilhite - getting better hitting in Sun Belt League over summer. Hit a single and double against USC. If he gets the bat going (with his ninja mind game ability to get walks) there is no keeping him out of the line-up (my opinion). I looked up Nick's summer stats (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=206183 ). Hit 304 for Norcross Astros, which is a lot higher than his 155 last year (against better pitching).
It's the off season and most teams are projected top 25 potential right now. I'm cautiously optimistic, but like Charlie Brown with Lucy holding, nervous.

Aaron Fitt's "Fall Report" on GT is out. He has long liked GT. Conclusion: If our defense improves, we can be a top 25 team.

• Connor Thomas - "analytics darling". Against USC he gave up some runs early then struck out 4 of 5.
  • Xzavion Curry - has the pitches and power but needed better control to start. Ended first with three straight SOs.
  • Tristin English - May be the nations premier 2 way player. Glad that he didn't get drafted or leave post draft!! Aaron noted it was a huge coup for us to get him back.
  • Jake Lee - Looked good against USC and could be a mid reliever. For whatever reason, I really like Jake; may be his attitude on the hill.
  • Amos Willingham - Juco with three quality pitches. Start mid-week and then move to weekend or bullpen was Aaron's guess.
  • Luke Bartnicki - "crown jewel" of 2018 Fr recruiting class. Good against USC with 3 pitches. According to Hall, Luke has really improved his slider. (One of these days I'll figure out again how to tell what the pitch is when it's thrown.)

• Austin Wilhite - struggled early in the summer then went to NECBL and was an all star. So we'll see.
  • Oscar Serratos - "one of Tech's most phusically gifted players". Capable of making great plays at third but not consistent. Regardless, I love him on the base pads.
  • Baron Radcliffe - may get some time at first when Tristin isn't there. Needs to hit better with his power to spare.
  • Nick Wilhite - getting better hitting in Sun Belt League over summer. Hit a single and double against USC. If he gets the bat going (with his ninja mind game ability to get walks) there is no keeping him out of the line-up (my opinion). I looked up Nick's summer stats (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=206183 ). Hit 304 for Norcross Astros, which is a lot higher than his 155 last year (against better pitching).
It's the off season and most teams are projected top 25 potential right now. I'm cautiously optimistic, but like Charlie Brown with Lucy holding, nervous.
Funny, I'll fall hook line and sinker until once again we dannied. I really hope we put it together this year. I fear bad fielding will bite us hard.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

This is definitely the deepest that we have been in pitching depth in a long time. For once, I feel like we can sustain some injuries (heaven forbid) and still have options for both the pen and the rotation. We always have the offense, we finally (seemingly) have the pitching which just leaves the defense. If we can be middle of the pack in the ACC in that category, then I think that we'll have a really good year, maybe 40 wins good.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Funny, I'll fall hook line and sinker until once again we dannied. I really hope we put it together this year. I fear bad fielding will bite us hard.

Is being Dannied related to Danny Boy?

I really hope we put it together too. Fixing defense has to be easier than fixing pitching or hitting. If we get it fixed by mid-season, we'll be ok. Till then we can pontificate.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah... I'm usually one to totally "buy" all the moons aligning stuff. Today (this time)... I seem to be in "show me" mode. That could change.

@THWG 's comments about pitching depth feels like someone telling me I'll wake up tomorrow good looking with a full head of hair. (can't be possible, can it?)

I'm looking forward to seeing what we have. Definitely... plenty to keep me interested. Top of list... English's 2-way role & the 1-2 punch of Curry & Thomas.