Fall Ball Schedule

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Nico Senese started 11 games as a freshman. Hit .311 and fielded .939 (3 errors). He didn’t play 1 inning last year. He was not hurt. Explain that one

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Nico Senese started 11 games as a freshman. Hit .311 and fielded .939 (3 errors). He didn’t play 1 inning last year. He was not hurt. Explain that one
OK I'll try. The 11 games he started as a freshman were mostly as a replacement for Jadyn Jackson who got hurt at shortstop. He also got a little time at third base. The next year we brought in Payton Green at shortstop and Mike Bichetti at second base. He wasn't going to start ahead of either of them as they were two of the better players on our team. Additionally we brought in Cam Jones who started most games at first base when he wasn't pitching which moved to Giesler to third base and Senese wasn't going to play in front of him. And when Giesler was hurt freshman Carson Kerce played well as his replacement. Not knowing what may have been going on behind the scenes I can only assume Kerce was outplaying Senese in practice so he got the nod leaving Senese as the odd man out. By the way .939 is not a great fielding percentage for an infielder. Kerce had a .953 fielding percentage.

Without any knowledge of injuries or other issues it looks as simple as he got beat out for playing time. That happens in sports. Hope that is a good enough explanation for you.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
OK I'll try. The 11 games he started as a freshman were mostly as a replacement for Jadyn Jackson who got hurt at shortstop. He also got a little time at third base. The next year we brought in Payton Green at shortstop and Mike Bichetti at second base. He wasn't going to start ahead of either of them as they were two of the better players on our team. Additionally we brought in Cam Jones who started most games at first base when he wasn't pitching which moved to Giesler to third base and Senese wasn't going to play in front of him. And when Giesler was hurt freshman Carson Kerce played well as his replacement. Not knowing what may have been going on behind the scenes I can only assume Kerce was outplaying Senese in practice so he got the nod leaving Senese as the odd man out. By the way .939 is not a great fielding percentage for an infielder. Kerce had a .953 fielding percentage.

Without any knowledge of injuries or other issues it looks as simple as he got beat out for playing time. That happens in sports. Hope that is a good enough explanation for you.
Zero playing time indicates to me... there is more to it. Could be a lot of things.

I have no inside info... but could one possibility be he made decision to leave early in season & you're doing him a solid by preserving a year of eligibility (ie redshirt)?

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
Zero playing time indicates to me... there is more to it. Could be a lot of things.

I have no inside info... but could one possibility be he made decision to leave early in season & you're doing him a solid by preserving a year of eligibility (ie redshirt)?
I also have no inside info, but I have to agree here, zero playing time says something is up besides just getting surpassed by incoming freshmen or transfers. We had 6 different players get starts at 2B/3B/SS. Are we certain he wasn't injured? Are we certain he was even on the team? I know of a couple examples over recent seasons where players were listed on the roster but had bailed before the season even started.