Fake defensive injuries

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Faking injuries is bush league. It’s pathetic. That’s my opinion. Other teams doing it doesn’t make it ok. I can’t believe what I’m seeing on this board.
I just posted my comment at about the same time you did. Is it "OK"? No. Is it necessary? Yes. North Carolina did the same thing in the game today. Do you want to concede an advantage to them over us? I say get the rule changed so that nobody can do it. Every single team we play this year will utilize this technique if GT starts to get momentum. Are you OK with them getting an advantage because we have more morals than the rulebook?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I understand thinking that fake injuries are bad for the sport. However, I do not understand the thought that GT shouldn't do it when it isn't against the rules and all the teams we are playing do it to us. The rules have been skewed heavily towards the offense in the last few decades. Not taking advantage of this would put GT's defense at a disadvantage over every team we play. We should play within the rules, which currently allow this. Change the rule so that everyone has to follow the same rules, and I am fine with it. I am not fine with giving every single team we play an advantage.
Delay of game is against the rules. It’s just too hard to be sure because cramps can come on any time. I think each team should get x number of “injury” breaks then take away actual timeouts. How do you preach toughness then do the very thing that makes soccer players look like little girls?

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not "against the rules" cause there is no way they could every penalize or prove anyone is faking an injury. Player safety is a priority so anytime a player goes down you HAVE to assume it is a legit injury. But just because there is no rule explicitly forbidding faking an injury doesn't mean it is not cheating. The rule is that the clock has to stop and the game is put on hold for an injured player. If the player goes down to stop the clock and they are not actually injured that is cheating the rule.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It's not "against the rules" cause there is no way they could every penalize or prove anyone is faking an injury. Player safety is a priority so anytime a player goes down you HAVE to assume it is a legit injury. But just because there is no rule explicitly forbidding faking an injury doesn't mean it is not cheating. The rule is that the clock has to stop and the game is put on hold for an injured player. If the player goes down to stop the clock and they are not actually injured that is cheating the rule.
The way to stop it is to make the player sit for a minimum of 3 plays.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Delay of game is against the rules. It’s just too hard to be sure because cramps can come on any time. I think each team should get x number of “injury” breaks then take away actual timeouts. How do you preach toughness then do the very thing that makes soccer players look like little girls?
You can't penalize a team for an injured player by taking time outs away or penalty yards. I have seen many games where there have been tons of actual player injuries in one game. It is a physical game and the players safety should be a priority. The only way they may be able to try to stop or limit these fake injuries is make the injured players sit for more than a play (like the rest of the series or even quarter/half). If they are actually injured then that rule would be in favor of ensuring their safety by giving them more time to address the injury before being able to go back in.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The one solution that I have seen proposed is not allowing an injured player to return until the end of the series. If a DL who was going to rotate out fakes an injury, he wouldn't be able to rotate back in a couple of plays later. That would take care of the way it is being exploited now.

I understand that it doesn't look good, but if you don't play by the rules as they are currently written to have a feeling of moral superiority, you are simply conceding an advantage to every opponent we have. It isn't GT players doing this that is the problem. It is the rules allowing this that is the problem.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
You know what else is cheap, the forward pass and helmets too. Teach these sissies to play real football (tic). You guys are ridiculous. It 100% looks stupid, but it's the counter to the hurry up offense. Why aren't you on the other team for playing too fast and not letting us get lined up? I think that's bush league. Trying to take advantage of us not being ready...

I do feel like we did it too much today but it's a strategy and we won

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You know what else is cheap, the forward pass and helmets too. Teach these sissies to play real football (tic). You guys are ridiculous. It 100% looks stupid, but it's the counter to the hurry up offense. Why aren't you on the other team for playing too fast and not letting us get lined up? I think that's bush league. Trying to take advantage of us not being ready...

I do feel like we did it too much today but it's a strategy and we won
Why not do it on every play? Always keep our defense fresh. If its towards the end of the game, have multiple players fall down but space it out so that when the first one gets off the field the second one realizes he is injured and then falls down. Let's even make it look bad by having the player carted off the field. Maybe have a prayer session for him. That takes a while. He could run back out shortly after that. We could eliminate the concept of a tired defense completely.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Why not do it on every play? Always keep our defense fresh. If its towards the end of the game, have multiple players fall down but space it out so that when the first one gets off the field the second one realizes he is injured and then falls down. Let's even make it look bad by having the player carted off the field. Maybe have a prayer session for him. That takes a while. He could run back out shortly after that. We could eliminate the concept of a tired defense completely.
Why not just spot every team we play a TD before the game begins? We can be the good guys of college football.

UNC did this when we were on offense today. If we don't do this just out of a sense of morality, then our opponents have an advantage.

I am all for changing the rules so that it is not an advantage to do this. I am not in favor of us just abandoning this tactic because fans don't like it.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Why not just spot every team we play a TD before the game begins? We can be the good guys of college football.

UNC did this when we were on offense today. If we don't do this just out of a sense of morality, then our opponents have an advantage.

I am all for changing the rules so that it is not an advantage to do this. I am not in favor of us just abandoning this tactic because fans don't like it.
I agree, I just don't want to be the reactive ones on this. I think we can exploit it even further and be trailblazers. We can completely change the game in our favor and stay well within the rules. We would be fools not to do it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I agree, I just don't want to be the reactive ones on this. I think we can exploit it even further and be trailblazers. We can completely change the game in our favor and stay well within the rules. We would be fools not to do it.
Kiffin is already pushing the boundaries. Chains break when GT has a big offensive play, and they have to get the bakup chains. Takes about 5-10 minutes. Then later in the game when GT has another big offensive play, the backup chains break, and they have to go back to the "repaired" original chains. Then after the next big GT offensive play, the original chains break again.

I do understand the dislike for this tactic. I dislike it myself. However, the answer isn't to take a moral stand and refuse to do it. The answer is to get the rules changed so that it is no longer an advantage. Imagine having a 7 point lead in the mutt game, refusing to use this tactic and they get momentum and tie the score. Then on the next series, they use this tactic when we start to get momentum and we stall out. Then they get the ball. We refuse this tactic, and they score the game winning TD. Maybe we would "win" the "moral" fight, but it would suck to hear the mutt fans taunting.

From a "moral" standard, this is nothing like stealing. It isn't a case of "everybody is looting the Apple store". This is more like the people who didn't like the flexbone offense. There is nothing moral about t. It is currently within the rules. The rules should be changed, and that is where the angst should be concentrated. Not on us playing like every other college football team.

SwarmingRound

Georgia Tech Fan
This is just a made up complaint by the fellowship of the miserable because we ended up winning so they can’t complain that we lost.

As the original "complainer," I'd like to refer you to the original post where I specifically congratulate our team for the win. I'm stoked that we are 5-2 and it was a great game and am far from "miserable."

I just don't like to see my team use tactics that a middle school girls lacrosse team would be embarrassed to use.

SwarmingRound

Georgia Tech Fan
You know what else is cheap, the forward pass and helmets too. Teach these sissies to play real football (tic). You guys are ridiculous.

You get the false equivalence award for the day. Faking an injury to exploit a rule which protects player safety is not the same as playing without helmets, which is the opposite of protecting player safety.

The Doddfather

Ramblin' Wreck
You get the false equivalence award for the day. Faking an injury to exploit a rule which protects player safety is not the same as playing without helmets, which is the opposite of protecting player safety.
Just noticed this is 4 pages deep because of your complaint post. This has happened to us countless times. Get over it, Nancy. It will be ok.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
As the original "complainer," I'd like to refer you to the original post where I specifically congratulate our team for the win. I'm stoked that we are 5-2 and it was a great game and am far from "miserable."

I just don't like to see my team use tactics that a middle school girls lacrosse team would be embarrassed to use.
I read your post and was referring to more than just yours.