Ezzard

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I said it before and I'll say it again.

This guy is a prime athlete. I don't really care when he plays as long as it's for Tech. Hope it's next year, but I'm not really expecting it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
you guys are talking past each other.

NCAA will or will not provide an NCAA transfer waiver, independently of ACC
ACC has specific rules relative to intra-conference waivers that NCAA has no control over.

ACC has to approve waiver after NCAA has provided it.

This is what I have been saying the whole time. It doesn't matter if the NCAA gives the waiver, as the likelihood of the ACC granting said waiver is historically slim.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That doesn't mean they should not be held accountable for stupid decisions.

Why is it a stupid decision? There are valid reasons for making an athlete sit a year for intra-conference transfers. We only care because we want him eligible right away.

Regardless of when he plays, just having him on our team is going to be huge next year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is what I have been saying the whole time. It doesn't matter if the NCAA gives the waiver, as the likelihood of the ACC granting said waiver is historically slim.
I think the opposing point was that "it seems to be a new day" regarding transfers, so maybe the ACC will lighten the reins. We'll all see.

Too lazy to dig back. Has Ezzard burned his RS already?

Why is it a stupid decision? There are valid reasons for making an athlete sit a year for intra-conference transfers. We only care because we want him eligible right away.

Regardless of when he plays, just having him on our team is going to be huge next year.
Personally, I don't see any valid reasons for making any athlete sit a year for such transfers. That's just my opinion.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
you guys are talking past each other.

NCAA will or will not provide an NCAA transfer waiver, independently of ACC
ACC has specific rules relative to intra-conference waivers that NCAA has no control over.

ACC has to approve waiver after NCAA has provided it.
I’m not talking past Augusta Jacket. He just didn’t read what I wrote.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I did read what you wrote. Your statement below was incorrect. The ACC does have the ability to "block" an NCAA granted waiver.
It really doesn’t matter, and I was more or less asking a question about how the hierarchy works.

I completely understand the acc can block someone from playing. Just like Georgia Tech can block someone from playing. However, if a player is deemed eligible by the ncaa, then GT independently declares them ineligible... GT isn’t making a ruling for the NCAA.

I assume this relationship is similar with the acc and the ncaa although I don’t know. I would like to think that the ncaa doesn’t allow the acc to make a decision on their behalf. Rather, the ncaa makes up their own mind and declares Ezzard “NCAA Eligible”. Then the acc would decide whether or not he was “ACC Eligible”. This way the acc has to answer to their decision instead of being able to hide behind an ncaa ruling that they affected, knowing that nobody will ever know which organization was instrumental in the decision to block the player.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It really doesn’t matter, and I was more or less asking a question about how the hierarchy works.

I completely understand the acc can block someone from playing. Just like Georgia Tech can block someone from playing. However, if a player is deemed eligible by the ncaa, then GT independently declares them ineligible... GT isn’t making a ruling for the NCAA.

I assume this relationship is similar with the acc and the ncaa although I don’t know. I would like to think that the ncaa doesn’t allow the acc to make a decision on their behalf. Rather, the ncaa makes up their own mind and declares Ezzard “NCAA Eligible”. Then the acc would decide whether or not he was “ACC Eligible”. This way the acc has to answer to their decision instead of being able to hide behind an ncaa ruling that they affected, knowing that nobody will ever know which organization was instrumental in the decision to block the player.

It's not so much that the NCAA allows the ACC to make a ruling on their behalf, it's that the NCAA understands that conferences can have tougher rules on eligibility than the NCAA has regarding transfers. The ACC has a vested interest in preventing players from routinely transferring to fellow ACC schools. In order to prevent that, they have instituted this policy and historically have strictly adhered to it. The NCAA would have to clear Ezzard to play, which given the current climate, should be fairly easy, but then the ACC would also have to give the nod, which isn't very likely at all.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's not so much that the NCAA allows the ACC to make a ruling on their behalf, it's that the NCAA understands that conferences can have tougher rules on eligibility than the NCAA has regarding transfers. The ACC has a vested interest in preventing players from routinely transferring to fellow ACC schools. In order to prevent that, they have instituted this policy and historically have strictly adhered to it. The NCAA would have to clear Ezzard to play, which given the current climate, should be fairly easy, but then the ACC would also have to give the nod, which isn't very likely at all.
Dont know who is right, but so ae87 well said I agree w u.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer