Ezzard

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
The NCAA always seems to find a way to prevent GT from riding the coattails of similar decisions. I hope I'm wrong on this one, but based on how the NCAA has taken GT to task in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if they deny the Ezzard waiver for some obscure nonsensical reason.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA always seems to find a way to prevent GT from riding the coattails of similar decisions. I hope I'm wrong on this one, but based on how the NCAA has taken GT to task in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if they deny the Ezzard waiver for some obscure nonsensical reason.
Any examples? Banks got eligible for Hoops this year.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
If Tathan gets a waiver, then literally anyone else should. The dude was all in on competing for the Ohio State job until Fields transferred in, and that was a while after Meyer retired (which should put a huge hole in the “coach retired” reasoning). I hope Tathan wins the Miami job, he will fold under the slightest pressure.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
With the statements out there from the Miami AD, it’d be entirely hypocritical for them to not support our claim. I can’t remember who it was right now but there was recently a school that got all kinds of negative publicity for gleefully taking in a transfer but blocking one of their own players from transferring, and the public pressure convinced them to support the leaving player. I don’t see how this here is any different.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
With the statements out there from the Miami AD, it’d be entirely hypocritical for them to not support our claim. I can’t remember who it was right now but there was recently a school that got all kinds of negative publicity for gleefully taking in a transfer but blocking one of their own players from transferring, and the public pressure convinced them to support the leaving player. I don’t see how this here is any different.

Because the other schools don't get a say. It will come from the ACC office. There is always a chance he could be deemed eligible this year, but the ACC rarely waives the requirement for intra-conference transfers.

That being said, I am hopeful he gets cleared to play this year.

herb

Helluva Engineer

I think it was Oklahoma initially trying to block a transfer to West Virginia. They caught all kinds of grief about it and eventually relented.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think it was Oklahoma initially trying to block a transfer to West Virginia. They caught all kinds of grief about it and eventually relented.

Thanks for providing the details...I had a feeling OK was involved but couldn’t remember the specifics. That was also an intra-conference transfer (obviously a different conference though, so no guarantees it’ll go the same way), which would seem to make our case a bit stronger.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@SteamWhistle:

How about all of the academic improprieties at North Carolina? But they strip GT of the 2009 ACC Championship because a cousin gave a player $300.00 of clothes. The current Josh Pastner situation ought to have never hit the NCAA radar as Josh is successfully suing this jerk for civil damages in court. But since GT is involved, now the NCAA jumps into the pool faster than a chlorine tablet.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
@SteamWhistle:

How about all of the academic improprieties at North Carolina? But they strip GT of the 2009 ACC Championship because a cousin gave a player $300.00 of clothes. The current Josh Pastner situation ought to have never hit the NCAA radar as Josh is successfully suing this jerk for civil damages in court. But since GT is involved, now the NCAA jumps into the pool faster than a chlorine tablet.
I’m just under the impression that it’s a new age, especially regarding Transfers. Historically the NCAA has tortured Miami but they just got their guy cleared.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
The NCAA doesn't have final say in the Ezzard decision. As an intra-conference transfer, the ACC would have to approve the waiver.
i don’t think the acc has the ability to block an ncaa waiver. The acc may be able to block eligibility independent of the ncaa due to an agreement among schools in the conference. But the ncaa’s decision should not be at the mercy of the acc.

I hope this is the case at least. I’d like for the acc to have to publicly stand in our way.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
i don’t think the acc has the ability to block an ncaa waiver. The acc may be able to block eligibility independent of the ncaa due to an agreement among schools in the conference. But the ncaa’s decision should not be at the mercy of the acc.

I hope this is the case at least. I’d like for the acc to have to publicly stand in our way.

You'd absolutely be wrong in that thinking. The ACC is the FINAL say in intra-conference waivers. This is not a new development either. It's been this way for a while. Conferences have final say on transfer rules.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You'd absolutely be wrong in that thinking. The ACC is the FINAL say in intra-conference waivers. This is not a new development either. It's been this way for a while. Conferences have final say on transfer rules.
you guys are talking past each other.

NCAA will or will not provide an NCAA transfer waiver, independently of ACC
ACC has specific rules relative to intra-conference waivers that NCAA has no control over.

ACC has to approve waiver after NCAA has provided it.