Explain to me why the ACC always struggle out of conference especially early on every year?

Who is the all time sack leader for ga tech

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have an idea but would like the our fan base to give their imput

Other than Clemson, Miami, and FSU most ACC teams are not that talented. IMHO. Also, there are certain teams in Tobacco Road that just live for the moment to beat an ACC team. Particularly, App State, East Carolina, Old Dominion, James Madison etc. while ACC teams are more focused on winning their respective divisions especially the Central. But I am curious as to what your "idea" might be because mine are pretty obvious.

falconholic26

Banned
I don’t know about what who y’all root for but I always root for the acc matter what conference we face. For some reason we start off really slow at the start and finish half decent after the bowl games.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Just saw an interesting stat: Worst Record against the Top 5 in the last 20 seasons are Vandy (0-16), Wake (0-16), Indiana (0-13), Notre Dame (1-18), and Boston College (1-17). The ACC has 2 of the top 5, three if you count Notre Dumb.

However, that doesn't excuse NC and UVA today.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
A 9 win season was certainly possible this year. The Coastal has never been weaker. How many wins do we end up with? If not for the Citadel game I would have said 7 or 8. Now it’s anybody’s guess. One thing is for certain, we’re going to understand the character of this Team next Saturday.
Agreed. This coaching staff and team should be absolutely pissed. The moron OC doesn’t need an interpreter to read his tea leaves. Most of the staff recruited these players. If we don’t leave philly with a win, I will be pissed. This team is bad, but so is the most of CFB - look how well UL (the least talented team in the least talented conference) played against FSU yesterday. These matchups against teams like temple and UNC are winnable.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. This coaching staff and team should be absolutely pissed. The moron OC doesn’t need an interpreter to read his tea leaves. Most of the staff recruited these players. If we don’t leave philly with a win, I will be pissed. This team is bad, but so is the most of CFB - look how well UL (the least talented team in the least talented conference) played against FSU yesterday. These matchups against teams like temple and UNC are winnable.
Seems the FSU fans want Taggert gone almost as much as some on the board already want our OC gone. At least with Taggert there is a track record. Hereabouts we yelp about no offensive line, no depth, no QB, no running backs, wrong kind of offensive linemen, and hereby resolve to fix that by firing the offensive coordinator, one of whose mortal sins is that he couldn't light it against Clemson. What in the Wide World of Sports is a'going on here? (Given what is going on in the country these days I go to Blazing Saddles for all my solutions. Why not?)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think its money donated to athletics. He who has generous donors has a foundation for planning spending.

Knight commision has a data base on ncaa athletics.
Curretn spending is why we are only competiyive on a spot basis.

ACC SPENDING .87 BILLION
SEC SPENDING 1.6 BILLION.

I believe that a graph acc and sec of donations will show that donations increased faster in sec and preceded the total expenditure.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
ACC SPENDING .87 BILLION

I believe that a graph acc and sec of donations will show that donations increased faster in sec and preceded the total expenditure.

Georgia Tech fans, like our ACC brethren, have champagne tastes on a beer budget. You cannot be excellent without passion. We vent our frustrations out on coaches/assistants/even our own athletes at times (which shouldn't happen imo) when they are handcuffed. I do believe we operate under self imposed constraints. The biggest obstacle to our success is not calculus or curriculum but that we (the GT school administration and fans) lack the will to do more than what we have done over the last 60 years. Our "plan" for success is to catch lightning in a bottle like we did with Coach Ross.

Given the desire to truly succeed by all, the things we consider as obstacles can be overcome. But we switch coaches, point our fingers over and over again...rinse, lather, repeat. We are akin to the guy who is in his sixth marriage complaining about how there aren't any good women out there. I do not know if it is amusing or sad or both.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Because the conference is weak other than Clemson very weak. Some may not agree but out of the so called P5 conferences over all we may the the weakest conference. Plus we have teams who could careless about football and wait on basketball season.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Seems the FSU fans want Taggert gone almost as much as some on the board already want our OC gone. At least with Taggert there is a track record. Hereabouts we yelp about no offensive line, no depth, no QB, no running backs, wrong kind of offensive linemen, and hereby resolve to fix that by firing the offensive coordinator, one of whose mortal sins is that he couldn't light it against Clemson. What in the Wide World of Sports is a'going on here? (Given what is going on in the country these days I go to Blazing Saddles for all my solutions. Why not?)
Go look at Taggart's overall record - it is not good. I was really surprised when FSU hired him and told a friend that I expected Taggart to be gone in 3 years...

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think its money donated to athletics. He who has generous donors has a foundation for planning spending.

Knight commision has a data base on ncaa athletics.
Curretn spending is why we are only competiyive on a spot basis.

ACC SPENDING .87 BILLION

Further evidence:
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...inside-georgia-200-million-quest-take-alabama
And they have been able to do it without blowing up their balance sheet.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Just saw an interesting stat: Worst Record against the Top 5 in the last 20 seasons are Vandy (0-16), Wake (0-16), Indiana (0-13), Notre Dame (1-18), and Boston College (1-17). The ACC has 2 of the top 5, three if you count Notre Dumb.

However, that doesn't excuse NC and UVA today.

Virginia didn’t look like world beaters, but they did win. I think they are a good team. Will be interesting to see how they do against Notre Dame next week.

Not just an ACC issue. Ask Tennessee, South Carolina, Ole Miss. Fact is in the past, just think back 20 years, the state of Georgia had 3 football teams. Tech, Uga and Div2 Georgia Southern. So UGA got the first pick of talent, us second etc. There were always some stars that went elsewhere. Today the state of Georgia has Tech, Uga, Southern, Ga. State, Mercer. Look at the State of Florida. They jave gone from Miami, UF, and Fl State to now USF, UCF, FIU, FAU, FAMU. And compound on to this that less kids are playing football. So the talent is being spread around. I watched part of the ODU UVA game and ODU has some talent.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s due to parity and the meat grinder of a schedule that most ACC teams play. It’s difficult to win out of conference after getting beat up in conference games. Most other conferences don’t compete at as high a level as the ACC where it means even more.