Explain to me why the ACC always struggle out of conference especially early on every year?

Who is the all time sack leader for ga tech

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seems the FSU fans want Taggert gone almost as much as some on the board already want our OC gone. At least with Taggert there is a track record. Hereabouts we yelp about no offensive line, no depth, no QB, no running backs, wrong kind of offensive linemen, and hereby resolve to fix that by firing the offensive coordinator, one of whose mortal sins is that he couldn't light it against Clemson. What in the Wide World of Sports is a'going on here? (Given what is going on in the country these days I go to Blazing Saddles for all my solutions. Why not?)
The problem is we played better against Clemson than we did against either USF or (especially) Clemson.

It’s how you win.

GT’s taking the buy a lottery ticket approach. Spend a dollar and hope you hit the jackpot. Mutt is building a successful business.

Edit- damn spellcheck
I have no idea what the net was last night in Athens, but I would imagine the gross was in excess of 20 million dollars. And they have been able to reach those heights by spending .... spending money which has been donated. Tech will never be able even to come close to that kind of earnings unless WE donate and BUY TICKETS, something way too few Tech fans seem willing to do.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I have no idea what the net was last night in Athens, but I would imagine the gross was in excess of 20 million dollars. And they have been able to reach those heights by spending .... spending money which has been donated. Tech will never be able even to come close to that kind of earnings unless WE donate and BUY TICKETS, something way too few Tech fans seem willing to do.
One thing’s for certain, we cashed checks equivalent to our entire account balance to fund this experiment. It had better work.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. This coaching staff and team should be absolutely pissed. The moron OC doesn’t need an interpreter to read his tea leaves. Most of the staff recruited these players. If we don’t leave philly with a win, I will be pissed. This team is bad, but so is the most of CFB - look how well UL (the least talented team in the least talented conference) played against FSU yesterday. These matchups against teams like temple and UNC are winnable.

I hope you don't do any thing too drastic. Temple will be favored and rightly so judging by their performance against Maryland. I think we will play much better and it will be a competitive game down to the wire. Temple is really tough along the defensive front which probably worries me more than anything. They have a good quarterback too. We will see if there is any carry over from what appeared to be an emotional, hard fought win against Maryland.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Virginia didn’t look like world beaters, but they did win. I think they are a good team. Will be interesting to see how they do against Notre Dame next week.

UVA will go as far as their quarterback will take them A good team to be sure but not unbeatable which can be said of Miami, UNC. Virginia Tech, and a couple in the Atlantic including Wake and NC State.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Go look at Taggart's overall record - it is not good. I was really surprised when FSU hired him and told a friend that I expected Taggart to be gone in 3 years...
After you’ve looked up his record, look up the teams he inherited and look at the progression.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Nah....it’s been because they had to prepare for the triple option every year in preseason:D

Your record is what it is. ACC has had some good to go with the bad different years. Play stronger ooc schedules than some other conferences have tended to also. Then add in some media bias where the media plays up say...SEC wins while ignoring ACC wins....and you get perception issues from that.

This is obviously a down year for the ACC again this year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It’s due to parity and the meat grinder of a schedule that most ACC teams play. It’s difficult to win out of conference after getting beat up in conference games. Most other conferences don’t compete at as high a level as the ACC where it means even more.

That sounds an awful lot like some SEC excuse making I’ve heard in the past.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Take the top ten off the table. We have been able to play with the rest with average recruiting. No reason not to be in the top 25 every year. We are in a hot bed of talent.
Then look at Wisconsin. If they can do it, we should do it better. Year in and year out we should be better than most of the ACC.

There is a huge glaring difference between us and Wisconsin. Just look at the crowd on game days there and you will begin to see.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Every conference can have embarrassing losses early in the season. Why are you picking on the ACC?

You think Arkansas losing to San Jose State or Tennessee losing to Georgia State weren't embarrassing for the SEC? How about Missouri getting beat by Wyoming? Or Mississippi State being curb stomped by Kansas State?

Or UCLA dropping one to Cincinnati, and USC getting beaten by BYU.

Just saying, the ACC may not be the best league this year, but people make way too much out of specific games (when they have an agenda) without looking at the overall results, where all the P-5 conferences are not that far apart:

Big Ten 27-7
Big XII 22-5
SEC 23-8
Pac 12 22-10
ACC 20-10

slugboy

Staff member
Well, one reason this year:
@ESPN_BillC: Speaking of the ACC...

Average SP+ rating by division:
1. SEC West (16.7)
2. B1G East (13.0)

3. SEC East (9.6)
4. P12 North (8.9)
5. P12 South (7.7)
6. B1G West (6.8)
7. ACC Atlantic (5.9)

8. AAC West (4.1)
9. ACC Coastal (3.2) [emoji43][emoji43][emoji43][emoji43][emoji43]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Every conference can have embarrassing losses early in the season. Why are you picking on the ACC?

You think Arkansas losing to San Jose State or Tennessee losing to Georgia State weren't embarrassing for the SEC? How about Missouri getting beat by Wyoming? Or Mississippi State being curb stomped by Kansas State?

Or UCLA dropping one to Cincinnati, and USC getting beaten by BYU.

Just saying, the ACC may not be the best league this year, but people make way too much out of specific games (when they have an agenda) without looking at the overall results, where all the P-5 conferences are not that far apart:

Big Ten 27-7
Big XII 22-5
SEC 23-8
Pac 12 22-10
ACC 20-10

How many times do I have to mention media bias? :ROFLMAO:

I agree. The conference with the worst OOC record very often has played the hardest OOC record. And disparities can frequently be attributed to that.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Georgia Tech fans, like our ACC brethren, have champagne tastes on a beer budget. You cannot be excellent without passion. We vent our frustrations out on coaches/assistants/even our own athletes at times (which shouldn't happen imo) when they are handcuffed. I do believe we operate under self imposed constraints. The biggest obstacle to our success is not calculus or curriculum but that we (the GT school administration and fans) lack the will to do more than what we have done over the last 60 years. Our "plan" for success is to catch lightning in a bottle like we did with Coach Ross.

Given the desire to truly succeed by all, the things we consider as obstacles can be overcome. But we switch coaches, point our fingers over and over again...rinse, lather, repeat. We are akin to the guy who is in his sixth marriage complaining about how there aren't any good women out there. I do not know if it is amusing or sad or both.
We donate to more important things: education and research. I did NOT pick GT because of football. Neither did any other rational alumni. I picked GT because of the career / money I now have and the grad school it awarded me. Does that mean we can’t ask alumni to throw more into the AT fund? No...there’s no reason why we can’t be better and can’t support sports more. But I will never support the joke model that is the sec - struggling endowments and laser tag football facilities.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We donate to more important things: education and research. I did NOT pick GT because of football. Neither did any other rational alumni. I picked GT because of the career / money I now have and the grad school it awarded me. Does that mean we can’t ask alumni to throw more into the AT fund? No...there’s no reason why we can’t be better and can’t support sports more. But I will never support the joke model that is the sec - struggling endowments and laser tag football facilities.
I think I basically agree with you. There are a few schools that have the fan base and interest to commit the financial resources necessary to consistently compete for a national FBS championship. We are not among them. IMO, trying to be like the top echelon of the SEC to compete for this grail is a fool's errand.

Animal02

Banned
I ended up at Tech because the sent me an application ( my brother was an alum) and it was free to submit. (Most schools were $25....a bit of money in '78)
My first choice school was U of Cincy ...was accepted and award a half scholly...Tech, out of state was a third of the cost even with the scholly, that and I had no desire to play ball at West Point or at the Ivy league. I think I ultimately made the right choice. I support particular entities at Tech....those are my personal choices.

falconholic26

Banned
It’s great to support what the school stands for but that don’t me you can’t support the athletics program either. For the life of me I have never figured that out. I really think that’s our only excuse that we have when things not going good but in reality it further from them the truth. The real reason is that there are not enough money going two the sports programs and that starts and ends with the fans. Money solves all problems. It’s not the school it us that don’t want us two succeed point blank!!!!!!!!