Expectations for the 2021 season

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Hale hit special teams today. Even after losing Harvin, we’re not at the bottom

Anyone who watched last season, especially the first few games, understands how dangerous our blocking was. I’d be stunned if Key wasn’t blowing a gasket over it. Special teams is one of our biggest needs coming back from last year. If you want a bad number, you can find one:

We didn’t block many kicks, or have many big plays on special teams. Knowing what I do about Collins, it’s got to be a point of emphasis, and I’m sure he’s pushing for a massive improvement this season. With kickoffs, kickoff returns, punts, and punt returns, we didn’t excel, even with the best punter in the country.

Seguira wrote up an article on Special Teams back in January: https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...ial-teams-in-2021/Z4DULBQ5SVE5LBFWY3R65AATHI/

We blocked no kicks or punts last season according to official NCAA stats. Our 6 kicks blocked lead the NCAA in the wrong direction (we were dead last).

We had 0 blocked punts allowed, in a season where we allowed more blocked kicks than anyone, and were allowing a lot of backfield havoc. Harvin was really a gem, and punted quickly.

Some of our basic special teams stats from last season:
KickPunt
RkPlayerXPMXPAXP%FGMFGAFG%PtsPuntsYdsAvg
1Jude Kelley4580.01520.07
2Gavin Stewart222491.72366.728
3Pressley Harvin III45216148.0
4Austin Kent312441.3

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 7/20/2021.

KickPunt
RkPlayerRetYdsAvgTDRetYdsAvgTD
1Dontae Smith1017617.60100.00
2Jahmyr Gibbs820525.60
3Juanyeh Thomas3227.30
4Marquez Ezzard7557.90
5Nate McCollum5-1-0.20
6Josh Blancato273.50
7Ahmarean Brown144.00

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 7/20/2021.

Remember, Gibbs had a return called back vs. BC due to penalty

LibertyTurns

Banned
Sounds about right.

In our case, though, it would be hard not to eclipse the win % given the 2 cupcakes added to the schedule.
Same for just about every P5 school. Hence the 72% being “better” than last year and 92% as good or better. Yeah if you’re undefeated Bammer and you lose a game you’re worse, but the teams that annually average 10-3 and below (that played 4 less games in 2020, at least 3 of which will be against weaker teams) has a much better than average chance of improving their record. Those 10-3 and below teams in 2019 were probably 6-3 last year. They’ll be 10-3 or 9-4 this year.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming everyone actually gets back to real practice, I really hope almost everyone outside Athens are better this year. Makes for a more enjoyable college football season.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s the great thing about Tech being in the ATL. We would be a big draw for the Big10 to get the southern market and the eyeballs of all their Alumni transplants. I think we can shake out a winner no matter what. If we are asked again I think we should probably jump on it. Their payouts are larger and there is good basketball in the Big10 as well.

Everyone used to hate everyone else in their conference and now you have to pull for other members as if they are your team. I don’t care about the ACC. Chase the $$$$$$
I go to and watch the games to see Ga Tech play, not the opponents. I'll go no matter who we play as long as we're in a P5 conf. Now, if we get relegated to a G5 conf, then I would be upset but i would still go to the games.

slugboy

Staff member
Here's the overall map of Hale's projections:

QB 10
Run 1
Pass 11
OL 14
DL 8
LB 11
DB 9
ST 12

Not that it's a big surprise, but big keys to the season are OL making a major leap forward, receivers improving over the last multiple of seasons, and the defense making a big step up. If our interior DL can play better and healthy and the LB corps step up, that should make our whole defense better. We need a couple of all-ACC types on defense, and hopefully Eley plus someone from our backfield of Swilling, Thomas, and Carpenter make that list.

Here's the overall map of Hale's projections:

QB 10
Run 1
Pass 11
OL 14
DL 8
LB 11
DB 9
ST 12

Not that it's a big surprise, but big keys to the season are OL making a major leap forward, receivers improving over the last multiple of seasons, and the defense making a big step up. If our interior DL can play better and healthy and the LB corps step up, that should make our whole defense better. We need a couple of all-ACC types on defense, and hopefully Eley plus someone from our backfield of Swilling, Thomas, and Carpenter make that list.

Or maybe with the number 1 run game just line up in the bone and never let the other team have the ball.....