Expectations for the 2021 season

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ever since Bud Carson became the coach it seems to be a perpetual problem that some group is always running down the current coach with a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom.

I agree that it was especially egregious with CPJ when you consider how many opposing coaches hated playing his offense, worked the refs before games, tried to get certain features of the offense banned, finagled a bye week before playing us etc. It was clear to many that the last resort to keep from getting a loss against Tech was to try to wear us down with negative recruiting lines about “triple option” and “high school offense.” Sadly, too many of our “fans” bought this hook, line and sinker.

I always come back to Ross who was almost run out of Tech by “fans” the year before our National Championship. He eventually left Tech because he found recruiting here very difficult, especially given our fickle fan base and the willingness of some to carry water for opposing coaches’ narratives.

All of this makes it extremely hard to judge any coach at Tech fairly. They all need time and they all underperform at key junctures of their tenure. And all are subject to being out of favor with someone’s coaching style preference or the vicissitudes of sports journalism.

CGC has sought to overcome this by being relentlessly positive. This is a new approach at Tech. Even the ever cheerful Pepper Rodgers was not this indefatigable. Hope it works and hope that behind this approach lies some real coaching skill.
It takes longer for new coaches to adapt to the recruiting demands placed on them by Tech. Unfairly or not, it is the way things are. Coach Collins has wrought a minor miracle in changing the perceptions of high school coaches around the state towards Tech. Now, comes the easy part... win more games.

GT_EE78

Banned
It takes longer for new coaches to adapt to the recruiting demands placed on them by Tech. Unfairly or not, it is the way things are. Coach Collins has wrought a minor miracle in changing the perceptions of high school coaches around the state towards Tech. Now, comes the easy part... win more games.
I don't know about any sort of miracles but the recruiting is improved.
I hope you're right and will join in rooting for more wins

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Last edited:

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I can’t believe I’ve held off for 50 plus pages before weighing in on the topic.
1. Schedule is brutal
- 4 possible top 10 teams
2. Coaching (body of work) is limited
- Witnessed the worst special teams
Kicking game I have ever seen
- On the other hand, I saw players playing
hard through adversity until the final
buzzer.
3. Talent
- Gibbs could end up being the best back
ever to put on the gold uniform
- Historically, our QB is as physically
gifted as any returning freshman we
have had.
- Our starting lineup could very well have
6 portal transfers and 7 if you include
Special teams

What does this mean? Hell if I know! I only know that I will be 100% tuned in.
I think we win 4-5 and play tough in 4 losses
and probably look poor in a couple of contests. If we could trade schedules with half our ACC brethren, we would win 6-7 games.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If you looking for facts, skip over @Coloradojacket post

How many under center, non-shotgun spread teams you see?
kind of wish I didn't look at this saw where Clemson scoring offense rated 3rd at 43,5 points , without our game last year they would not have been in the top 10. Guys offense is nice but we need our defense to get better if we want to win more this year,

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about any sort of miracles but the recruiting is improved.
I hope you're right and will join in rooting for more wins
One caveat. I did not say recruiting has improved, although it has to be sure. My remark about the miraculous had more to do with the perception high school coaches have about Tech. Neither of which will matter if we do not start winning more games.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
kind of wish I didn't look at this saw where Clemson scoring offense rated 3rd at 43,5 points , without our game last year they would not have been in the top 10. Guys offense is nice but we need our defense to get better if we want to win more this year,
Our roster on defense looks stronger on paper than our previous 12-13 years. Problem is , that’s on paper. White and Eley have played 0 games for us, Clayton around 6. All 3 are trying to audition for a NFL draft. We will be able to rotate 6 300 lb
Linemen in the middle and we have multi year starters in the back. We will see if all the hype is justified real quick.
Im choosing to buy in and hope we creat some chaos.

3rd down defense specifically 47% is just not gonna win no matter how good you can play offense.
Clemson game last year first half Offense results
Punt
Touchdown
Fumble
Punt
Fumble
Punt
Punt
Interception
Downs

Result, Clemson scores 7 touchdowns and a field goal.
9 possessions in the first half alone.
I think offense has quite a lot to do with it.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
51 years of watching, playing, and coaching football.
So you are the young guy in the room. My first Tech game was 62 and started coaching in 79. I guess I trump you by about 7! At this point , I’m not thinking that you will change your thought process over the next 7.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Our roster on defense looks stronger on paper than our previous 12-13 years. Problem is , that’s on paper. White and Eley have played 0 games for us, Clayton around 6. All 3 are trying to audition for a NFL draft. We will be able to rotate 6 300 lb
Linemen in the middle and we have multi year starters in the back. We will see if all the hype is justified real quick.
Im choosing to buy in and hope we creat some chaos.
Nobody should be hyping our DL because it's been years since we had a good DL.

I do think we have more depth and mature bodies on the DL than we've had in some time. That gives us a chance to have a decent line. The great programs stockpile these guys and bring them at you in waves. We are definitely not at that point though hopefully we can continue to build towards it.

Also important is another LB or two to step up and add quality minutes. Tatum has looked promising and has the physical tools. Can't afford a rash of injuries at LB.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Nobody should be hyping our DL because it's been years since we had a good DL.

I do think we have more depth and mature bodies on the DL than we've had in some time. That gives us a chance to have a decent line. The great programs stockpile these guys and bring them at you in waves. We are definitely not at that point though hopefully we can continue to build towards it.

Also important is another LB or two to step up and add quality minutes. Tatum has looked promising and has the physical tools. Can't afford a rash of injuries at LB.
Agree with you 100%. I’ll give you credit for saying what I was thinking but doing a better job of verbalizing it!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
true, but chicks dig offense...and I dig chicks....so.....

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson game last year first half Offense results
Punt
Touchdown
Fumble
Punt
Fumble
Punt
Punt
Interception
Downs

Result, Clemson scores 7 touchdowns and a field goal.
9 possessions in the first half alone.
I think offense has quite a lot to do with it.
yea but when 73 points are against you that's not gonna be good 10/10 times

slugboy

Staff member
Hale hit special teams today. Even after losing Harvin, we’re not at the bottom

Anyone who watched last season, especially the first few games, understands how dangerous our blocking was. I’d be stunned if Key wasn’t blowing a gasket over it. Special teams is one of our biggest needs coming back from last year. If you want a bad number, you can find one:

We didn’t block many kicks, or have many big plays on special teams. Knowing what I do about Collins, it’s got to be a point of emphasis, and I’m sure he’s pushing for a massive improvement this season. With kickoffs, kickoff returns, punts, and punt returns, we didn’t excel, even with the best punter in the country.

Seguira wrote up an article on Special Teams back in January: https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...ial-teams-in-2021/Z4DULBQ5SVE5LBFWY3R65AATHI/

We blocked no kicks or punts last season according to official NCAA stats. Our 6 kicks blocked lead the NCAA in the wrong direction (we were dead last).

We had 0 blocked punts allowed, in a season where we allowed more blocked kicks than anyone, and were allowing a lot of backfield havoc. Harvin was really a gem, and punted quickly.

Some of our basic special teams stats from last season:
KickPunt
RkPlayerXPMXPAXP%FGMFGAFG%PtsPuntsYdsAvg
1Jude Kelley4580.01520.07
2Gavin Stewart222491.72366.728
3Pressley Harvin III45216148.0
4Austin Kent312441.3

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 7/20/2021.

KickPunt
RkPlayerRetYdsAvgTDRetYdsAvgTD