Expectations for the 2021 season

I have been a GT fan since 1968.... I am quite used to crushing disappointment...but along with the bitter disappointments comes the absolute euphoria of when we are good...
Think I will spend the evening watching 2014 Orange Bowl replay.... Then Tech v UGa 2008 replay... Wish I could find online replay of Tech v ND 1976... That was a great day...
I was at that 1976 Tech ND game...almost as good as Tech ND 1980

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Good thing CPJ stopped being their coach in 2007 then or he probably would've been exposed.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was at that 1976 Tech ND game...almost as good as Tech ND 1980
I was at that game as well. Notre Dame was hampered by a quarterback that was just a little bit off that day. He had open receivers and just missed them. We just beat them. Drew Hill took a reverse right before the half and went about 50 yards or so down the sideline and was viciously hit out of bounds inside the Irish 20. We took it in. ELI was the man that day.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was at that game as well. Notre Dame was hampered by a quarterback that was just a little bit off that day. He had open receivers and just missed them. We just beat them. Drew Hill took a reverse right before the half and went about 50 yards or so down the sideline and was viciously hit out of bounds inside the Irish 20. We took it in. ELI was the man that day.
23-14. David Sims ran over the ND safety at the goal line. Bo Thomas ran a fb dive for 50 yards.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Just for fun I'll mention Drew Hill again.He ran the QUICKEST 50 yd TD I've ever seen while at Halfback-- in '76? .On a reverse out the QB spun 180 degrees from ctr and stuck the ball out and HIll took it in stride after a track start of 3 yds with a GIANT hole in front --and no one maybe even saw him ,much less touched him .STRAIGHT to the the EZ in a nano flash. --vs VMI maybe.

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
Some of that for sure. Most on here come from a bygone era. Ma Tech is no longer the weed out school it once was. At least from what I hear.

Not to say the institute hasn’t made an effort to curb the weed out practice, but a lot of it is the schools elevated even more academically. Kids getting in these days aren’t the same wide swath as in days gone by.

I also think this hurts athletics even more because typically (stereotype incoming) the kids getting 1400-1500 on their SAT with like 30hrs of credit in their bank due to AP classes as freshmen aren’t exactly the athletic support type.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not to say the institute hasn’t made an effort to curb the weed out practice, but a lot of it is the schools elevated even more academically. Kids getting in these days aren’t the same wide swath as in days gone by.

I also think this hurts athletics even more because typically (stereotype incoming) the kids getting 1400-1500 on their SAT with like 30hrs of credit in their bank due to AP classes as freshmen aren’t exactly the athletic support type.
GT the school is a completely different entity than GT athletics. The weed out process is definitely over but the caliber of incoming students has increased tremendously. Kids with high 1500’s get rejected so your point is valid. The students GT gets have way bigger fish to fry than athletics. They are truly using the 4 years to make the next 40. These kids have so many more things going on due to technology than guys like me from the 80’s and 90’s at GT that sports don’t even come into their mind. I also know lots of kids at UGA who could care less about their schools sports. I believe the athletes and regular students understand each other pretty well and both know why they are there. One is to entertain us and the other to possibly enhance our lives in the future.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

This just isn't true. These kids are necessarily out there playing, but most of these kids support their school in all aspects. I think this is a common falsehood.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Based on the ESPN analysis, if we can hold service with Duke and BC where we are favorites, then we need to win once against Pitt, UVA, and VT. They and I agree that Pitt at BDS has to be a focus game for us. That would likely give us a winning record with Duke the following week. I can see us being sky high at that point.