Expectations for the 2021 season

slugboy

Staff member
Northwestern was dang good the last two years. They have gobs of reasons why they shouldn’t be able to recruit or field a good team. Vandy was good when Franklin was there. I could go on listing schools that can suffer “negative recruiting”. It’s roughly all of them.
Every school has reasons not to be successful. There is zero need to get wrapped around the axle about math requirements limiting recruiting.

Northwestern was dang good the last two years. They have gobs of reasons why they shouldn’t be able to recruit or field a good team. Vandy was good when Franklin was there. I could go on listing schools that can suffer “negative recruiting”. It’s roughly all of them.
Every school has reasons not to be successful. There is zero need to get wrapped around the axle about math requirements limiting recruiting.
Oh please, Northwestern recruits at around rank 60 every year. Coaching....humm maybe that is why they have a few good teams. Vandy? They never beat us. Ask any Tech player, Coach or High school Coach. I talk to many of them. If you truly believe we are not limited by Academics....then I can't really help you. Trevor Lawrence could not have gone or survived at Tech.....Direct quote from his parents who at sat behind at the Clemson game.

You can say it as much as you want, that doesn’t make it true.

There may be a small percentage of kids (5-10%) we can’t recruit. The rest is open game.

And almost all athletes take Survey of Calc and Finite.

Just because kids didn’t want to come here previously, doesn’t mean it’s not possible.
Gailey couldn't get them here either. He averaged a 50th recruiting ranking except 1 year. As I just posted to another, you really are ill informed if you think we can recruit 90% of the kids in Georgia. Heck, most can't even read. Malcom Mitchell, Georgia

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Here
Taken from https://texashsfootball.com/coachs-corner-benefits-drawbacks-spread-offense/
Covers CDP and Tech to a t.

What is A Spread Offense?

My definition of A “typical” spread offense is A 4 wide (10 personnel), 1 back, shot-gun or pistol set formation. Throwing the football is associated with this as well as lots of points being scored and an up-tempo being used to stress the defense out. Huddling is not only frowned upon, it’s discouraged.

What’s not a Spread Offense?

Any offense that has this in its name: Wing T, Flex-Bone, Jumbo, Muscle, Gigantic, Battleship, Tank, Double Wing, Single Wing, triple wing, etc. etc. Also typically involved with these offenses are a huddle, sometimes running a player on and off the field with the play, 3-point stances by the OL, more than 1 RB, a Fullback and/or a TE or two, and the QB taking the snap from under Center. And last but certainly not least, a total disregard for how many defenders line up in the Tackle box.

Now that this has been established, I need to first state that the offense any coach runs needs to be the offense that fits his current personnel best. You can’t run a spread offense just because “everyone else is doing it”, and conversely you probably shouldn’t run the Double Wing if you have spread players. Even with top level college programs, you recruit for what you want to run, but you will always change slightly what you are doing based on the players you have at that time.

Now that the basics have been established, let’s get to the heart of the matter, the benefits/drawbacks of running the spread offense:

Benefits (+’s):

-You spread the defense out and force their 2 nd and 3 rd level defenders to play in space (on an island)

-You spread them out, you have less guys to block when you run the football

-If you use the same players, you don’t need to change personnel groups and therefore can go faster

-The QB is usually 4 or 5 yards away from the line of scrimmage pre-snap, which is where the bad guys are that want to take his head off

-Typically an up-tempo, no-huddle is used which can keep the defense from making any substitutions

-If you don’t huddle, you can signal plays in to speed things up as well

-Spreading out and going up tempo will also usually keep a defense from getting too complex and allow for easier reads for the QB

-The fronts that the QB and OL see will also be simpler to prepare for

-If you use wide splits by the OL, typically the DE’s are no longer a threat to get to the QB

-Run and pass reads become easier for the QB as everything is spread out and not bunched together

-Points tend to come easier for a spread offense as 1 defender screwing up his assignment is more costly than that defender screwing up vs. a non-spread team

-If your OL can stay low, going out of a 2-point stance allows them to see things better before the snap

-Run- pass option plays work better out of a spread, shot-gun formation

-Uses the whole field, sideline to sideline

-Allows you to get more reps during practice by going no-huddle

-If you have smaller Offensive linemen than normal, this offense can help

-If you have the personnel, who doesn’t like the spread?

Drawbacks (-‘s):

-If your QB is having a bad day, your offense is having a bad day

-If the weather is bad and your QB doesn’t throw a wet ball well, you could be in trouble

-If you go 3 and out, you haven’t used much time up and your defense is right back out on the field

-Some Coaches say: “three things happen when you throw the ball, two are bad”

-If a defense is running a 3-5, you will have trouble outflanking them without a TE

-If your Center is having a tough time snapping the ball, you could be in trouble if you haven’t practiced taking snaps from under Center

-If you do go under Center at all you are usually running a QB sneak and the defense knows it

-Harder to sell play-action passes from shot-gun, pistol can be easier but not as good as under Center

-If you do need to take time off the clock, may be hard to do if you haven’t practiced it

-Run game is a little limited without a TE and/or a FB

-Must get creative to get a lead blocker on run plays (pulling a backside Guard or Tackle to substitute a Fullback)

-If their skill players are better than yours, it’s going to be a long day

-If they can play man coverage and bring all the rest of their defense on a blitz, you are in trouble!

-If you get into any short yardage/goal line situations, you may have a hard time unless you have bigger personnel available

-You don’t huddle and some coaches think that this helps to bring an offense together

-If you don’t have a QB that can learn to make proper checks and play under pressure you’re in trouble
I thought a "spread" offense had more to do with the splits between the OL than most anything else. Maybe I'm wrong. I thought you could run pretty much any offense as a spread formation.

I thought a "spread" offense had more to do with the splits between the OL than most anything else. Maybe I'm wrong. I thought you could run pretty much any offense as a spread formation.
So spread is one of those terms used with different meanings. Shotgun Spread, our current offense means you use lots of receivers to spread the field, pull defenders out of the box. CPJ ran spread option, were he spread splits wide in order to create running lanes and create blocking advantages. If you noticed though, on the goal line he tightened the splits and ran more power.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Gailey couldn't get them here either. He averaged a 50th recruiting ranking except 1 year. As I just posted to another, you really are ill informed if you think we can recruit 90% of the kids in Georgia. Heck, most can't even read. Malcom Mitchell, Georgia
Yes, the guy who actually was a SA is ill informed on what it takes to get into and out of GT.

It might not be 90% but it’s closer to that than 25% I can assure you.

We will never be Bama, but we can definitely recruit in the top 15-25 on a consistent basis with the right people running the ship.

Collins and company are already looking like they’re going to land another top 25 class this year and we’ve won 6 games in the past 2 seasons. Wait until the wins start to follow.

Yes, the guy who actually was a SA is ill informed on what it takes to get into and out of GT.

It might not be 90% but it’s closer to that than 25% I can assure you.

We will never be Bama, but we can definitely recruit in the top 15-25 on a consistent basis with the right people running the ship.

Collins and company are already looking like they’re going to land another top 25 class this year and we’ve won 6 games in the past 2 seasons. Wait until the wins start to follow.
It is closer to 25 to 30%...direct quotes from current high school coaches. We have never been at top 15-25 on any level. Collins isn't even doing it. Gaileys 2004 class with Calvin...56th. Why do you think Dodd got us out of the SEC..have you gone back and studied that? It was all about recruiting. And it has only gotten worse since then.

Bobby Dodd had bristled against the academic standards at Georgia Tech for a while. Despite being out of the SEC and no longer up against teams that were not competing on an equal playing field, his existential problem - recruiting to an elite academic school - still existed. It was hard enough to recruit, he stated, without a hand tied behind his back in the form of mandatory calculus. The old legend goes that all opposing schools had to do was plop the textbook down in front of the average recruit and that would be enough for him to cut the Jackets loose. Of course, parents were thrilled by the prospects of a quality Tech education and a guaranteed scholarship - a rare thing in those days, given that was the primary motivator behind leaving the SEC, and arguably not true today under the current coaching administration, and yes, that is both a bold statement to make and a damning one for the staff if true - and Bobby Dodd was infamous for the quote, “while they are wasting energy we will conserve ours. We will direct our energy into constructive action. I have told you they are bigger, faster, and tougher than you. All that is true, but we do have one advantage: we are smarter than they are.” All that brain played into how Bobby Dodd played football. He abused the substitution rules and found men who were light on their feet to run the proto-halfback option play that is a key base of smart modern football. Revisiting an old point, Dodd knew firsthand just how tough it was to be a prospective football player up against Tech’s academic standards. Granted, he was a terrible, unmotivated student in high school whose success came because he was perhaps the best all-around football player to ever play the game, not in the classroom, but he was still someone that sought out Georgia Tech, despite the rigor, and was denied. All he asked was for a little leeway - business math, communications, and public speaking - and they gave him humanities. And kept the calculus.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea how many games we are going to win. I have no idea if this coaching staff is going to grow and get better. I have no idea about a lot of things. I tend to chime in more when I have an inkling of what I'm talking about.

However, even those things I am not happy about, I try not to continuously harp on it. @Scubapro really doesn't like what he's seen from CGC and crew (maybe it's more CDP, I can't remember for sure). For a time he was really hard-core in every thread condemning CGC's crew. Now, it seems more common to be a drive-by if the conversation is a little too gold-tinted about CGC. @Coloradojacket has been unequivocal in his opinion. He states it clearly every time anyone compares the current and the former coaching staffs, especially if it hints at maybe being negative about CPJ (who I loved as a coach). I find others' opinions, especially opposing opinions, prod me to think more deeply about my position.

I have ZERO issues with any Tech fan having whatever opinion they want to have and arguing it fervently in this forum. My only complaint is that it seems incessantly negative and pessimistic. It's off-season, less than 60 days before fall camp. At this point, why not keep your pessimistic views to yourself until after the season? We all know how you feel; what benefit to Georgia Tech football in 2021 does it serve to continue to harp on the negatives and promote pessimism. This isn't necessarily 100% towards either of the fonts mentioned above, just a general observation that is relevant to much of this thread.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
It is closer to 25 to 30%...direct quotes from current high school coaches. We have never been at top 15-25 on any level. Collins isn't even doing it. Gaileys 2004 class with Calvin...56th. Why do you think Dodd got us out of the SEC..have you gone back and studied that? It was all about recruiting. And it has only gotten worse since then.
Yes your 3 backwoods coaches you referenced earlier. I’m sure they know more about GT athletics and academics than someone who participated in them.

And I couldn’t care less what happened over half a century ago. A lot has changed since then. The school isn’t as hard as you’re making it. I know that’s gets some around here all up in arms, but it’s true. I graduated with a higher GPA from GT than I did HS.

As for recruiting, we currently have at least 4 4 stars in this year’s recurring class. It looks like we’re about to bring in another Elite 11 finalist QB as well. We also have a top ~150 player overall and top 10 RB in the nation committed for next year’s class.

Your “insider” information from a couple HS coaches doesn’t hold water when you look at the results. Collins and his staff are doing great on the recruiting trail and it will only get better once his guys mature and start showing out on the field.

I have no idea how many games we are going to win. I have no idea if this coaching staff is going to grow and get better. I have no idea about a lot of things. I tend to chime in more when I have an inkling of what I'm talking about.

However, even those things I am not happy about, I try not to continuously harp on it. @Scubapro really doesn't like what he's seen from CGC and crew (maybe it's more CDP, I can't remember for sure). For a time he was really hard-core in every thread condemning CGC's crew. Now, it seems more common to be a drive-by if the conversation is a little too gold-tinted about CGC. @Coloradojacket has been unequivocal in his opinion. He states it clearly every time anyone compares the current and the former coaching staffs, especially if it hints at maybe being negative about CPJ (who I loved as a coach). I find others' opinions, especially opposing opinions, prod me to think more deeply about my position.

I have ZERO issues with any Tech fan having whatever opinion they want to have and arguing it fervently in this forum. My only complaint is that it seems incessantly negative and pessimistic. It's off-season, less than 60 days before fall camp. At this point, why not keep your pessimistic views to yourself until after the season? We all know how you feel; what benefit to Georgia Tech football in 2021 does it serve to continue to harp on the negatives and promote pessimism. This isn't necessarily 100% towards either of the fonts mentioned above, just a general observation that is relevant to much of this thread.
All I can judge is two seasons of failure. Frankly if you said what will happen this year.... I can't tell you. I have no expectations of anything concrete. I can say we have 3 definite losses. UGA, Clemson and ND. I think Miami and UNC are just better than we are right now. BC, UVA, and Pitt are well coached and tough outs. Va Tech...I have no idea except last time we played them they boat raced us. Duke, better coaching but they seem to be heading down. I hope to win our first two and we should. Maybe we win 7 or maybe we win 1.....I hope for the former. but as I keep saying, I have seen lots of football in my 52 years of watching... I am 59 years old...and I just have a feeling.

Yes your 3 backwoods coaches you referenced earlier. I’m sure they know more about GT athletics and academics than someone who participated in them.

And I couldn’t care less what happened over half a century ago. A lot has changed since then. The school isn’t as hard as you’re making it. I know that’s gets some around here all up in arms, but it’s true. I graduated with a higher GPA from GT than I did HS.

As for recruiting, we currently have at least 4 4 stars in this year’s recurring class. It looks like we’re about to bring in another Elite 11 finalist QB as well. We also have a top ~150 player overall and top 10 RB in the nation committed for next year’s class.

Your “insider” information from a couple HS coaches doesn’t hold water when you look at the results. Collins and his staff are doing great on the recruiting trail and it will only get better once his guys mature and start showing out on the field.
Hate to tell you but they are not backwoods and they know all about GT. And yes things have changed since half a century ago....but not good for Tech. And I talk with players from less than 8 years out... it is hard.

Just curious question....we maybe get that elite 11 QB....does that mean Simms transfers. Simms has 3 or 4 more years. Will that elite 11 QB sit on the bench for two to three years?

I think we have a bigger problem finding top flight SA's who are willing to put in the work at GT than just being limited on who we can go after. If you put those 2 together, I think that puts us well below that 25% threshold of the total pool that we get to fish in. Not too many DL war daddies who want the academic rigors of ma Tech.

Jolly Good Fellow