Expectations for the 2021 season

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If you think Groh was coaching FCS level talent then there isn't really much of a reason to read the rest of your post.
Typical. Throw out an opinion with no facts.

I didn't say he had nothing but FCS talent, I said he had FCS level talent in spots. Groh complained about how small our D front seven was. I remember his quote that "Football is a big man's game"

From the NFL drafts of 2011-2014---players he would have coached--we had one defensive player drafted--Attaochu. Who recruited him? Al Groh. So my point remains, the talent level was poor, as it was after 2009 and until this year.

Facts, not some condescending unsubtantiaated opinion--like your post.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Where is Key going? I love him because of where he came from but he certainly has not improved his stock based on the results of our offensive line since he arrived on the scene. I guess you are basing his value on potential.

Go Jackets!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I agree about what this staff inherited. I think everyone does. But as much as we all know the talent was low and fully realize that it will take years to build it up, you can hold this staff accountable for running schemes that weren’t working game after game. UCF and Syracuse were the exact same game for 8 quarters and we couldn’t even come close to slowing either down. That Pitt game was the worse schemed game I’ve ever seen. We made their nobody RB look like a Heisman contender. I agree that as the talent improves that Collins, Key, and Thacker will look better but that doesn’t give them a free pass for some horrible schemes. I’m telling you now that Kennesaw is going to bring something to Bobby Dodd and if we don’t have a legit plan we could easily be embarrassed.

And what scheme should they be running? The use of that undefined word "scheme" is overused on this board. No scheme is going to make up for the lack of talent (and speed) on our front 7 on D, our lack of depth, and an offense that kept our defense on the field (and prticulary at 'Cuse, turned the ball over deep in our own territory multiple times so that they played on a short field). We were very banged up by Pitt, and again, depth was suspect. Some of you guys think the right "scheme" will overcome a lack talent and it just isn't so--especially on defense.

Yes, they threw the ball on O (which put more pressure on the D) even though we haven't had an OL that can pass block, an experienced QB who wasn't a RB or ATH playing QB, and WR who were recruited to run block. But Tech has a reputation of just running the ball. For recruiting purposes--on both sides of the ball-they need to throw it. The last two years recruiting has been more important than the W-L record. The staff knows it. Stansbury knows it. A lot people on this board don't get it all.

I will agree that the scale changes this season. We need to show objective progress. But most of the criticism of the staff on this board is unfair and misplaced.

I was worried about The Citadel game. There is an attitude at those military schools that they can whip anyone. We played them early in the first year for this staff when our team was still learning. People forget that Gardner Webb was tied with Tech late in the game Paul Johnson's first year-- a Tech team that was good enough to go to the Chik-Fil-A bowl. We won 10-7, and that was the sixth game of the year.
Tell me what you want to, but I'm not worried at all about Kennesaw.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Where is Key going? I love him because of where he came from but he certainly has not improved his stock based on the results of our offensive line since he arrived on the scene. I guess you are basing his value on potential.

Go Jackets!
IMO, the typical fan doesn't know enough to evaluate coaches. Brent Key coached at Bama for 3 years. Do you think he fooled Saban with smoke and mirrors? If you believe that I have some beachfront property for sale I would like to discuss with you.

I teach (now) at the HS level. At my past school, the head coach won a state championship with an excellent group of seniors (all starters were seniors and 3 played at the next level). The next year the same guy won 3 games and sadly, but not unsurprisingly, people in the stands were complaining about the coach. He didn't forget how to coach from one year to the next. People who evaluate and hire coaches aren't looking at the same things you are.

Milwaukee

Banned

Go Jackets!
He’s literally the most sought after OL coach in the nation. Up there with Cristobal at Oregon. It’s not his fault we suck right now, we are damn lucky that he came here and he loves GT.
Smart football people don’t hold his current situation against him. You should know that, Jerry.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
And what scheme should they be running? The use of that undefined word "scheme" is overused on this board. No scheme is going to make up for the lack of talent (and speed) on our front 7 on D, our lack of depth, and an offense that kept our defense on the field (and prticulary at 'Cuse, turned the ball over deep in our own territory multiple times so that they played on a short field). We were very banged up by Pitt, and again, depth was suspect. Some of you guys think the right "scheme" will overcome a lack talent and it just isn't so--especially on defense.

Yes, they threw the ball on O (which put more pressure on the D) even though we haven't had an OL that can pass block, an experienced QB who wasn't a RB or ATH playing QB, and WR who were recruited to run block. But Tech has a reputation of just running the ball. For recruiting purposes--on both sides of the ball-they need to throw it. The last two years recruiting has been more important than the W-L record. The staff knows it. Stansbury knows it. A lot people on this board don't get it all.

I will agree that the scale changes this season. We need to show objective progress. But most of the criticism of the staff on this board is unfair and misplaced.

I was worried about The Citadel game. There is an attitude at those military schools that they can whip anyone. We played them early in the first year for this staff when our team was still learning. People forget that Gardner Webb was tied with Tech late in the game Paul Johnson's first year-- a Tech team that was good enough to go to the Chik-Fil-A bowl. We won 10-7, and that was the sixth game of the year.
I’m not a coach and I sure don’t get paid to be one. Take away the word “scheme” if you want, fine. The point remains our offensive coach with the blessing of the Head Coach could not run plays that worked often enough. I get that we didn’t and maybe still don’t have an offensive line that is even average. If so, do something different. But game after game it was the same stuff - Sims either handing the ball off 8 yards behind the LOS and then hoping the RB can make magic happen or Sims drops back 8 yards and either runs for his life or throws a pick. I know that’s harsh but I’ve seen plenty of bad teams who figured out how to get a first down. I’m all onboard the hype train but so far the Neapolitan has been all vanilla.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m not a coach and I sure don’t get paid to be one. Take away the word “scheme” if you want, fine. The point remains our offensive coach with the blessing of the Head Coach could not run plays that worked often enough. I get that we didn’t and maybe still don’t have an offensive line that is even average. If so, do something different. But game after game it was the same stuff - Sims either handing the ball off 8 yards behind the LOS and then hoping the RB can make magic happen or Sims drops back 8 yards and either runs for his life or throws a pick. I know that’s harsh but I’ve seen plenty of bad teams who figured out how to get a first down. I’m all onboard the hype train but so far the Neapolitan has been all vanilla.
If the two transfers on the OL are what they're cracked up to be, and if they remain healthy, we'll get a better idea of whether our OC can coach.
If the offense sputters this year, it'll be his last.

reminder for Gardner Webb, we had to play our third string QB who could not run the offense and Dwyer was banged up as well. Just going with the history...and we still won.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Are people really worried about key leaving? Dude hasn’t even got a 4 star OL recruit since being here and our o line hasn’t performed great. He needs to improve before he thinks about jumping up to a bigger and better job.
Transfers count, too, and we've gotten couple of really good ones (I think). This year will tell a lot.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Typical. Throw out an opinion with no facts.

I didn't say he had nothing but FCS talent, I said he had FCS level talent in spots. Groh complained about how small our D front seven was. I remember his quote that "Football is a big man's game"

From the NFL drafts of 2011-2014---players he would have coached--we had one defensive player drafted--Attaochu. Who recruited him? Al Groh. So my point remains, the talent level was poor, as it was after 2009 and until this year.

Facts, not some condescending unsubtantiaated opinion--like your post.

Speaking of facts, you should get yours in order as well. 2014 saw 3 defensive players drafted. Jemea Thomas and Brandon Watts also went to the NFL in the draft that year.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Dude, what are you talking about? Nothing about
Gibbs says WR.
You're right and if Gibbs puts on that extra 10 (or, I'd advise, 15) lbs and learns to block, he'll get his chance. But … I think he's a shoe-in as a WR at the next level.

But all these speculations are based on last year. I look forward to seeing how a year in the training program has helped him.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
No one is holding anything against Key because of the last 2 years. People realize what he inherited. Fans always think if players do not perform the problem is the coach. I wish some of you could talk to opposing coaches and see what they think of the talent we have had on the oline the last 2 years. Oline play actually did improve over 2019. However, it is not where we need it to be. At some point you have to get more talented players for the offense you want to run.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
No one is holding anything against Key because of the last 2 years. People realize what he inherited. Fans always think if players do not perform the problem is the coach. I wish some of you could talk to opposing coaches and see what they think of the talent we have had on the oline the last 2 years. Oline play actually did improve over 2019. However, it is not where we need it to be. At some point you have to get more talented players for the offense you want to run.
Im not so sure about that. His position group has ranked 123rd/127 teams and 130th/130 teams in his two years so far. Sure he was dealt a tough hand to play with. If he is the best offensive line coach in college football like many here are convinced of then that seems like a pretty poor result. His last two years at UCF as an OC were two of the worst offenses in the country. Because he coached at Bama though he apparently walks on water. I have yet to understand that.