Expectations for the 2021 season

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes, except for Charlottesville. How much is still owed for Scott Sisson Stadium?
Man, I am so through with losing up there. Attended Scott Sisson in 2015, right after the blocked kick against FSU.
Thought that would ignite the team and turn the season around, but the Jackets were as cold as the weather.
But we've had their number at home, as much as they've had ours up there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how our record will turn out, but we should have a much improved offense if the two OL transfers are truly serious NFL prospects. Nothing is more important on a football team than its offensive line.

I think we have upgrades at several positions, but the biggest unknown is whether we'll get any improvement out of our coaching staff.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
In no way or fashion can anyone say we should blow anyone off the field. We aren’t anywhere near that point no matter who we are playing. Kennesaw is going to be a test. And heaven forbid anything happens to Sims in fall camp or game 1. Let’s get to 2-0 then we can all breathe.
I am all for breathing but this team needs to show something after two years, blowing away two cupcakes would be a great start.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It would be a good start. But I haven‘t seen anything on the field that proves we are above losing to anyone. For every step forward we’ve seen we’ve seen similar steps back. After FSU we all had a spring in our step. Then 7 days later we have 5 turnovers and lose by 28. Then 7 days later we lose by 17 with another 5 turnovers. Louisville we look like a team and win by 19 with no turnovers. Then we lose by darn near 70. I’m optimistic but I’m also salty because what I saw in our last game of the season was not a team. It was a collection of individuals running around with no coherent plan at all. Our defense was just terrible. We gave up 300 yards on the ground and 200 thru the air. Against a very mediocre Pitt team on our field. To me, that was worse than Citadel. In the Citadel game we fought the entire game and just lost to a better team. Against Pitt we mailed it in on our own field. That performance and our lack of heart and fight has me scared. I’m still on board due to recruiting but our coaches have to show they can put together a game plan in all phases and not just hope Gibbs and Sims can athlete us to wins.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I am more upbeat than the consensus of the Board's comments. Having a good FG kicker might be worth 1-2 games. Our OL is loaded with experience. I think we will have some consistent pop coming off the edge. Our QB is a future star- I remember it wasn't until half way through Joe Hamilton's sophomore year that the light turned on. One another thing. UGA is in decline. They may have a QB, but they have no clue about their OL right now. They don't have Nick, Sony or DeAndre playing RB. Major rebuild in their secondary. Pickens is out for the year. As Al Ciraldo would say, Lookout for a "bombshell" upset in Atlanta ! I see Eight wins with an invite to a decent bowl.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am more upbeat than the consensus of the Board's comments. Having a good FG kicker might be worth 1-2 games. Our OL is loaded with experience. I think we will have some consistent pop coming off the edge. Our QB is a future star- I remember it wasn't until half way through Joe Hamilton's sophomore year that the light turned on. One another thing. UGA is in decline. They may have a QB, but they have no clue about their OL right now. They don't have Nick, Sony or DeAndre playing RB. Major rebuild in their secondary. Pickens is out for the year. As Al Ciraldo would say, Lookout for a "bombshell" upset in Atlanta ! I see Eight wins with an invite to a decent bowl.
You make a compelling argument.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
UGA is in decline. They may have a QB, but they have no clue about their OL right now. They don't have Nick, Sony or DeAndre playing RB. Major rebuild in their secondary. Pickens is out for the year. As Al Ciraldo would say, Lookout for a "bombshell" upset in Atlanta ! I see Eight wins with an invite to a decent bowl.

Not to mention Athens is a place where you go to have your NFL dreams die, get benched, and get arrested.

Demetris Robertson? Jamie Newman?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I like the enthusiasm about our team. Not sure we can get to 8 wins but 7 would be a really nice season no matter what happens in the bowl. Not sure on the analysis of UGAs team though. lol. They have pretty incredible talent on their OL. If by no clue you mean they aren't sure yet which 5 stars are going to play and which 5 stars are going to sit the bench then I guess that would be accurate.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Again, I’m optimistic but my days of seeing everything thru gold colored glasses are over. Could Sims turn into a star? Sure. Could he also be just another athlete who can’t work the progressions? On field performance is what counts, nothing else matters regarding the players. I love the recruiting by Collins and that is important. But the players have to perform on the field. And last year was a lot of lack of performance outside of the RB’s.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The really interesting thing about college football...no one ever has any idea how things will turn out outside of about 5 schools (OSU, Clemson, 'Bama, maybe a couple of others). Preseason prognostications aren't worth the paper they're written on....

I'm gonna tune in and watch....

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It would be a good start. But I haven‘t seen anything on the field that proves we are above losing to anyone. For every step forward we’ve seen we’ve seen similar steps back. After FSU we all had a spring in our step. Then 7 days later we have 5 turnovers and lose by 28. Then 7 days later we lose by 17 with another 5 turnovers. Louisville we look like a team and win by 19 with no turnovers. Then we lose by darn near 70. I’m optimistic but I’m also salty because what I saw in our last game of the season was not a team. It was a collection of individuals running around with no coherent plan at all. Our defense was just terrible. We gave up 300 yards on the ground and 200 thru the air. Against a very mediocre Pitt team on our field. To me, that was worse than Citadel. In the Citadel game we fought the entire game and just lost to a better team. Against Pitt we mailed it in on our own field. That performance and our lack of heart and fight has me scared. I’m still on board due to recruiting but our coaches have to show they can put together a game plan in all phases and not just hope Gibbs and Sims can athlete us to wins.
I'm a lot more concerned about the coaching than the talent on the field.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
It would be a good start. But I haven‘t seen anything on the field that proves we are above losing to anyone. For every step forward we’ve seen we’ve seen similar steps back. After FSU we all had a spring in our step. Then 7 days later we have 5 turnovers and lose by 28. Then 7 days later we lose by 17 with another 5 turnovers. Louisville we look like a team and win by 19 with no turnovers. Then we lose by darn near 70. I’m optimistic but I’m also salty because what I saw in our last game of the season was not a team. It was a collection of individuals running around with no coherent plan at all. Our defense was just terrible. We gave up 300 yards on the ground and 200 thru the air. Against a very mediocre Pitt team on our field. To me, that was worse than Citadel. In the Citadel game we fought the entire game and just lost to a better team. Against Pitt we mailed it in on our own field. That performance and our lack of heart and fight has me scared. I’m still on board due to recruiting but our coaches have to show they can put together a game plan in all phases and not just hope Gibbs and Sims can athlete us to wins.t

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’m not sure where the doom and gloom comes from. We should all know, results are the effect of your team’s ability to perform.

The act itself of projecting the future requires you to look at what changes the team’s abilities are likely to have compared to last season.

1) Time in System

I, like many of you, expected year 1 of CGC to be tough. Switching offense and defense is never a good thing and our D side of the ball was playing under their third, vastly different scheme, when you included the grey beard upperclassmen. Defense is more about size and speed than scheme (remember the O dictates what you do and they get to call the plays or decide where the ball goes.) Sure there are maybe a few coaches or teams that are so ungodly gifted physically that they can force you down a path, but even then it is about taking away options (see massive differential on the DLine being better than OLine causing you to have to run quick hitting plays) as opposed to forcing you into a route progression or run package. Given last season’s wildness and lack of time to prepare I think we all agree it was what it was, which was bad. Good news is guys got reps and did some S&C work but really even that was limited by book bag weights and baby lifting circuits.

This to me is a clear area where we should see improvement

2) Size and Speed of players

The mesaurables of our OLine and DLine have proved greatly. This matters, maybe more than anywhere else on the field, and we have gotten better in spades.

Again, I expect this to yield better results.

3) Coaching Maturity

When facing uncertainty it can be easy to default to what you know, not what you hope to know. I think the staff saw last season as getting away from them early, and chose to use it as a developmental year. Not that they wanted to only win 3 games, but that the Win/Loss columns was a secondary measure of the team getting better in their view. Right or wrong, we will see this year. If we show up looking like we get it then I think it’s a shrug your shoulders and move on moment.

How many times did the staff talk about guys “letting go of the rope” in post game pressers. That happens when you’re focused on the development over results sometimes. Winning is hard and requires buy in and commitment to go hard ever snap. Often times we didn’t see that in the games whether it was wideouts jogging through or breakout routes early, the mental discipline loss that led to penalties, missed field goals and dropped kicks. Those are also, apparently, a major focus of the staff through camp so hopefully it improves. (See CJP going no contact, 0-2, turning that choice around and fixing it).

Even for the “show me don’t tell me crowd” you have to acknowledge that they’re talking about it and working on it. So I’d say it’s likely to improve.

4) What we lose

We are going to miss our guy PH3, it’s not going to be easy to replace him. That said I think it’s manageable. Missing DC’s leadership at LB will likely be a wash by upgrading athleticism there. Camp will be missed, but again think it is manageable.

I don’t see any glaring concern for downgrades at positions (again other than punter)

Feels like another check in the plus column.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
3) Coaching Maturity

When facing uncertainty it can be easy to default to what you know, not what you hope to know. I think the staff saw last season as getting away from them early, and chose to use it as a developmental year. Not that they wanted to only win 3 games, but that the Win/Loss columns was a secondary measure of the team getting better in their view. Right or wrong, we will see this year. If we show up looking like we get it then I think it’s a shrug your shoulders and move on moment.

How many times did the staff talk about guys “letting go of the rope” in post game pressers. That happens when you’re focused on the development over results sometimes. Winning is hard and requires buy in and commitment to go hard ever snap. Often times we didn’t see that in the games whether it was wideouts jogging through or breakout routes early, the mental discipline loss that led to penalties, missed field goals and dropped kicks. Those are also, apparently, a major focus of the staff through camp so hopefully it improves. (See CJP going no contact, 0-2, turning that choice around and fixing it).
I wonder if you could extrapolate on the difference between a focus on winning vs. development in more concrete terms. Were we putting players on the field with more upside as opposed to current ability? Were we experimenting with the play calling? I understand some players needed developing (as always), but where did the coaches make a conscious decision focusing on development vs. winning? If "winning" and "development" were in a Venn diagram, where did the two areas not overlap last season?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been all about developing the program and I don’t care about wins or losses even for this upcoming season. But we gotta see improvement from a dumpster fire these past 2 years. Granted, the dumpster fire was expected and I have no problem with it. But, our last game of year 2 was worse than the Citadel game. That isn’t a good sign. I don’t care if we go 2-10 this season, but we can’t go 2-10 and average 3 turnovers a game, are in the bottom quarter of penalized teams, in the bottom quarter of 3 and outs, and in the bottom quarter of giving up yards per game. Losing to top 25 teams by 7-10 would show improvement. Losing by 70 or being just pushed around like ND did to us is unacceptable in year 3. I expect to lose a lot of games but we gotta show signs. The only signs I saw last year was Gibbs being a hoss and Harvin. This is one of the biggest years for GT football in decades. If it goes well then the recruits will keep coming and as haircut boy has shown, you don’t have to be a genius to win football games with good players. If we don’t show much the recruiting will go back to 3 stars and we’ll just be in stall ball until the next guy gets here and has his couple of mulligan seasons.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
You and I seem to have very similar feelings about the future. Honestly, about all we have seen from this team/coaching staff is better recruits. I have said for a while now that this season is VITAL to show improvement. If I was coach I would be definitely lighting the match on turning up the pressure on coaching staff/players to produce results that reflect all the hard work they say they are putting in. If I am a player wearing a special number because of work ethic, or attitude, etc. that recognition also needs to translate onto the field. I think all the things are in place to take a BIG step forward this year. ACC championship - maybe not yet. But a bowl game needs to be a measureable goal for a "successful" season, IMO. A repeat of last year will be one more reason to question the hire of CGC, and I don't want that.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been all about developing the program and I don’t care about wins or losses even for this upcoming season. But we gotta see improvement from a dumpster fire these past 2 years. Granted, the dumpster fire was expected and I have no problem with it. But, our last game of year 2 was worse than the Citadel game. That isn’t a good sign. I don’t care if we go 2-10 this season, but we can’t go 2-10 and average 3 turnovers a game, are in the bottom quarter of penalized teams, in the bottom quarter of 3 and outs, and in the bottom quarter of giving up yards per game. Losing to top 25 teams by 7-10 would show improvement. Losing by 70 or being just pushed around like ND did to us is unacceptable in year 3. I expect to lose a lot of games but we gotta show signs. The only signs I saw last year was Gibbs being a hoss and Harvin. This is one of the biggest years for GT football in decades. If it goes well then the recruits will keep coming and as haircut boy has shown, you don’t have to be a genius to win football games with good players. If we don’t show much the recruiting will go back to 3 stars and we’ll just be in stall ball until the next guy gets here and has his couple of mulligan seasons.
Completely Agree.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The Pitt game was in many ways a troubling way to end the year. Coach Collins threw his headset over the fake grounding play at the end wanting pass interference and then the infamous no look hand shake with Pitt's coach revealed the extent of his frustration. It was pretty disheartening to lose to two pretty mediocre ACC teams in BC and Pitt the way we did. We made both of them look a lot better than they really were. I understand your concerns and agree it could be a problem that bleeds over to this year but I for one, am willing to see if Coach Collins can get this team moving in the right direction. It could be argued that we mailed it in at least twice last year.