Expectations for the 2021 season

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In 1967 the AP poll was only Top 10. 13 teams outside the Top 10 received votes of which FSU was 4th in line and daU was 6th. If it was Top 20 they’d have been 14th & 16th. 1968 the AP went to Top 20, FSU dropped of ranking after losing to LSU in Peach Bowl. Miami was ranked over half the season.
Exactly. And another comparison is that Dodd’s last season (1966) Tech had a great team but only played 3 teams with winning records (over .500) that year. The next year, Carson’s first year, Tech played 5 teams with winning records and some years played as many as 6 teams with winning records. And if anyone wants to check the teams Tech played during the Carson years, note how tough Clemson and Tulane were. They not only had the occasional win against us, they gave lots of other teams fits.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. And another comparison is that Dodd’s last season (1966) Tech had a great team but only played 3 teams with winning records (over .500) that year. The next year, Carson’s first year, Tech played 5 teams with winning records and some years played as many as 6 teams with winning records. And if anyone wants to check the teams Tech played during the Carson years, note how tough Clemson and Tulane were. They not only had the occasional win against us, they gave lots of other teams fits.
1967-71: Clemson 23-29; Miami 23-30; Tulane 19-34. Not exactly murders row there.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yup both 5th year seniors. 2 of the top 7. Pretty low percent wouldn’t you agree.
What a clown. CPJ's last recruiting class was 2018, I would expect most 4th and 5th years to have graduated and/or moved on by now, which they have - there are only 3 OL still on the team CPJ recruited for that position.

Even then, do you not think CGC is always going to try and increase the talent of his players at every position? You don't think he's trying to recruit over top of Gibbs, Sims, etc? You think he's gonna sit there and say "ehh good enough, we don't need to recruit there"?

Bama only has 3 linemen starting from the 16 17 18 classes, guess Nick Saban sucks at recruiting linemen for his offense too huh?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What a clown. CPJ's last recruiting class was 2018, I would expect most 4th and 5th years to have graduated and/or moved on by now, which they have - there are only 3 OL still on the team CPJ recruited for that position.

Even then, do you not think CGC is always going to try and increase the talent of his players at every position? You don't think he's trying to recruit over top of Gibbs, Sims, etc? You think he's gonna sit there and say "ehh good enough, we don't need to recruit there"?

Bama only has 3 linemen starting from the 16 17 18 classes, guess Nick Saban sucks at recruiting linemen for his offense too huh?
I wish this would end the argument but it won’t. For some weird reason it seems hard for some people to love what CGC is doing without simultaneously hating what CPJ was doing. CGC’s victories will not be any greater nor his losses be any less disappointing because of what someone thinks CPJ did or did not do while he was at Tech.

I’m ready to move on.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

You are clueless. Bama loses players to the NFL after3 years regularly. We don’t. Guys recruited in 2018 are now juniors. The 2016/17 recruits should be the O line studs for us. We have 2 left of significance. Of course that’s the damn near the same number we had last year on the O line.

if you don’t get that transitioning the O line from CPJ’s offense to what we and nearly every other college offense run was a massive undertaking then believe what you want as nothing will change your mind.

CPJ’s guys were adequate for what he wanted. Some were exceptional players. That’s history. Generally those type O linemen are inadequate for our current scheme.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The discussion is talent. The CPJ O line worked well in his system. It was very complex without a doubt. However, his O line players generally weren’t good in most other types of offense.
In the end of the day unless you run a very specialized system talent wins out. CPJ’s O line we’re not at the talent level to run the offense CGC envisions nor were they talented enough to play in the NFL.

What is your actual point. Basically you imply you are a fountain of knowledge, however, CPJ resigned and GT went in a different direction with its football program. You seem to have a hard time accepting that reality. Why?

Do you believe CPJ’s lineman would do well in the current GT offensive scheme? If so what do you base that on?
I'm not sure I agree with what you're actually saying. I think I agree with the premise of what you're saying, but that doesn't seem to be the same thing. I don't think it was "talent" holding CPJ linemen from the NFL. I think those guys were plenty talented and plenty smart. I think what held them back was size. While lighter, faster linemen worked well in CPJ's offense, those guys didn't have the heft to transition to the more traditional offense ran in the NFL. At that level, height and weight (i.e. leverage), as well as quickness, rules. CPJ always said he wanted to 6'6" 330# lineman that could move like shifting sand, and he recruited them. Unfortunately, so did everyone else and he wasn't really able to get those guys here.

I think that's probably what you were meaning to say when you said "talent," but I don't want to put words in your mouth. Regardless, I have several friends who were linemen on Bobby Ross's championship team and I've spoken to the sons of a couple of friends/co-workers who played under Gailey and Johnson about Tech. I'm not really sure what the point was.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Well...my EXPECTATIONS OF THE 2021 SEASON have absolutely nothing to do with something that happened more than three years ago. That includes 2009 - 2018, that includes 1967 - 1972.

It's likely golden punch, but there is no way we are outside of the top 50 this year. I know that's not saying a lot and embarrassing to even have to type. But 98? LOL. Can I get some money on being >98th by the idiot who published that? I wonder where the dudes with the gold chains and chest hair hanging out of their leisure suits would put us on overall strength? I can ensure you that it is higher than 98. If it's not, I'm selling my boat and driving to Vegas tonight.