Expectations for the 2021 season

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen most people say we will know a lot about how the season will go after the first two games. I think this is only the case is we lose (or almost lose) one of them. That would be a pretty bad sign. However if we win both, even big, not so sure how much this tells us. I base this on 2015 where we killed Alcon & Tulane in the opener and then won 1 more the rest of the way. I understand there were some mitigating circumstances (namely injuries), but still relevant.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen most people say we will know a lot about how the season will go after the first two games. I think this is only the case is we lose (or almost lose) one of them. That would be a pretty bad sign. However if we win both, even big, not so sure how much this tells us. I base this on 2015 where we killed Alcon & Tulane in the opener and then won 1 more the rest of the way. I understand there were some mitigating circumstances (namely injuries), but still relevant.
There are 130 teams in FBS. For 100, the season will be over by the end of September.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m watching the replay of last years BC game. Holy **** were we pathetically bad at tackling! I’m watching BC’s last drive going into halftime and we looked like a legit FCS team on D! If we can stop with the poor angles, dumb penalties and weak *** arm tackling we should see a major improvement on that side of the ball.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
We have potential to catch lightning in a bottle this year as per my gold glasses thread post.

Will need luck with injuries, bounces, calls, and guys breaking out or taking the next step in development.

Also will need the emphasis on playing smart, focused, disciplined football to pay off. Schedule is one of the toughest in the country but making a bowl game and taking down a playoff contender is within reach.

Looking forward to multiple 4 star DTs showing up on flats next year, and a 4* OL. Just need to keep building the trenches.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Y’all I just feel like we will be surprised. Maybe it is me being overly optimistic and excited but I think we have a good chance to surprise a lot of people, including our fan base. Let’s go baby. 7 wins. Maybe 8. And surprise some teams. We always seem to sneak an upset of some kind. Only a few weeks!!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Pitt is the tell tale game for us. We play two weaker opponents followed by two preseason AP top 10 games.

Pitt is next and at home. We need to win that game to make a statement for the rest of the season. If we lose to go 2-3, with 3 straight losses, it's not good.

Some of our fans don't seem to understand that this team is far more talented than 2019, and will have more experience and more practice time than 2020. There won't be any 40+ point blowouts, and even the 4 top 10 teams we play will know they have been in a football game. I'm not sure how that translates to wins, but that's what makes it interesting, and why they play the games.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We are definitely more talented and have way more experience than this time last year. The issue I see is that the offensive line is behind all other positions in the transition because it takes almost twice as long to get this unit up and humming. It’s easy to get DB’s, WR’s, and RB’s. Every team has 40 guys who are 5’11 to 6’3” who can run like the wind and make plays. Collins has done a fantastic job thru the portal and recruiting to get the DLine up to average and hopefully above average. But the OLine was at ground zero two years ago and while progress has been made it takes getting the young ones to turn into upper classmen.. I just think this unit could hold us back and possibly hurt Sims progression. I hope the transfers and the others gel and can get to average this year. But I’m not so sure.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Two of the four top 10 teams we play are over-rated. Knock one or two off, and the next thing you know their being over-ranked helps us.

I really believe we will field a team that surprises a few folks this year. Defense will be improved across the board. O line will be significantly improved, as will QB. That leads to us being able to throw the ball. IF we can throw the ball, the run game will be devastating. We're on the edge of a knife, if it comes together we have the pieces to be quite good.

/

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good question but I meant a hypothetical "Anyteam U" that has an exciting offense, scores lots of points, thrills and chills but has no chance of making the playoffs and everyone knows it because of the defense or lack of a sound running game or depth at most positions or something. Lots of fun but no championships. Kind of like Oklahoma State or Texas Tech a few years ago or maybe Washington State when they had the coach whose name escapes me that went to Mississippi State.

Or they can't compete in close games since they can't kick FGs or EPs.

Pitt is the tell tale game for us. We play two weaker opponents followed by two preseason AP top 10 games.

Pitt is next and at home. We need to win that game to make a statement for the rest of the season. If we lose to go 2-3, with 3 straight losses, it's not good.

Some of our fans don't seem to understand that this team is far more talented than 2019, and will have more experience and more practice time than 2020. There won't be any 40+ point blowouts, and even the 4 top 10 teams we play will know they have been in a football game. I'm not sure how that translates to wins, but that's what makes it interesting, and why they play the games.

Clemson is a good weekend to hike in the mountains. I think UNC is the first game we'll know how good we can be. Pitt we have to win to meet or do better than my 5 win season guess. Stumble in the first two and we'll know how bad we can be.

I agree this team is far more talented than the 2019 team for the new offensive scheme. All around it has to be better on ST, OL and DL. But other teams have gotten better too. So we need to play the games to see.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

I really wish we could swap the Pitt and Duke games. Playing Pitt after UNC and Clemson, while they have been playing Western Mich and New Hampshire is not an ideal situation. They will almost certainly be healthier and better prepared.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I really wish we could swap the Pitt and Duke games. Playing Pitt after UNC and Clemson, while they have been playing Western Mich and New Hampshire is not an ideal situation. They will almost certainly be healthier and better prepared.

I agree but I am looking forward to those days ahead where the timing of the Duke, Pitt, BC, etc. games are no longer a point of concern for us. I have always cringed when we as fans were worried that teams of this stature got a bye before our game when we did not. I believe those days are coming back to the Flats..

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree but I am looking forward to those days ahead where the timing of the Duke, Pitt, BC, etc. games are no longer a point of concern for us. I have always cringed when we as fans were worried that teams of this stature got a bye before our game when we did not. I believe those days are coming back to the Flats..
Having a bye is a major advantage. It allows for a granular level of preparation for a specific team, with specific schemes, trends and personnel that you don’t ordinarily get. Byes are a threat to any opposing team unless that team is Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson.

But I too look forward to when we are more like Alabama, Ohio State or Clemson.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Having a bye is a major advantage. It allows for a granular level of preparation for a specific team, with specific schemes, trends and personnel that you don’t ordinarily get. Byes are a threat to any opposing team unless that team is Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson.

But I too look forward to when we are more like Alabama, Ohio State or Clemson.
You better have a seat because it may take a while, if it ever does.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
At least one prognosticator thinks we have a good chance to spoil someone's playoff hopes:

I should have read this post first. The next thread over I almost could not believe we have our own fans worrying about knocking off Northern Illinois.