Expectations for the 2021 season

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

This is a good read on reviewing the transfers with this years class that ranked 49th:​

Georgia Tech Football: Where Tech transfers rank in 247Sports’s transfer rankings​

Overall, the Yellow Jackets 2021 transfer portal haul is extremely solid and is full of players that should at the very least be solid contributors for the Jackets going forward. Players such as Cimaglia, Eley, and White seem likely to make bigger impacts sooner than later but overall, the transfer class will add great depth to the Jackets roster at some key positions.

Dunno why they left out Cochran...likely to be the single most impactful of the transfers....battle-hardened pro prospect to protect Sims' blindsided.

Bottom line is you got roster slots you need to fill. Wanna win now? Go out and get PROVEN productive transfers who have shown out vs p5 competition: White, Cigmalia, Cochran, McGowen, Ayinde. Add mature bodies with p5 S & C in the trenches (Pendley, Harris, Scott).

Wanna win later? Take a bunch of HS players to jack up your class ranking.

The fonts who criticize last year's class ranking are the same ones who insist we must win this year. They should be applauding the staff's getting immediate help. Smacks either of disingenuity, hypocrisy, and agenda, or sheer ignorance.

Feed thee not the trolls, rather take thee these charlatans' megaphones by employing thy ignore user button found on said trolls profile page.

This I have done to great profit.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Some will be gone. A bunch of that talent will be here for several more years.
Yes, there is a mix of the two, but it doesn't change the fact that many are leaving after this season. Many that will play significant roles for us this year. Why are we wasting time with these guys if we can't win with them? Why are we wasting that talent? The truth is that they were brought in to help us win now and its reasonable to expect that we can win with them on the field this year.

GT_EE78

Banned
Dunno why they left out Cochran...likely to be the single most impactful of the transfers....battle-hardened pro prospect to protect Sims' blindsided.

Bottom line is you got roster slots you need to fill. Wanna win now? Go out and get PROVEN productive transfers who have shown out vs p5 competition: White, Cigmalia, Cochran, McGowen, Ayinde. Add mature bodies with p5 S & C in the trenches (Pendley, Harris, Scott).

Wanna win later? Take a bunch of HS players to jack up your class ranking.

The fonts who criticize last year's class ranking are the same ones who insist we must win this year. They should be applauding the staff's getting immediate help. Smacks either of disingenuity, hypocrisy, and agenda, or sheer ignorance.

Feed thee not the trolls, rather take thee these charlatans' megaphones by employing thy ignore user button found on said trolls profile page.

This I have done to great profit.
On 247 Cochran is shown with last years transfers. I dunno why they didn't move him.
We have a good group of transfers.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Yes, there is a mix of the two, but it doesn't change the fact that many are leaving after this season. Many that will play significant roles for us this year. Why are we wasting time with these guys if we can't win with them?
As someone who played college football I can tell you having upperclassmen who are studs is important not only to winning now, but also to development.

When I was an underclassman I looked to the older guys to see how to handle things on and off the field. They are literally men and you are literally a teenager. I remember coming into a big conference game as a tr-fr and the other LB immediately said "sprint out away rush the passer". Boom, 2 sacks in 2 minutes on sprint out aways. Taught me how detailed I needed to be in weekly game prep. That's just one example.

So these transfers, whether 1 year guys like Cochran and McGowen or or 2+ year guys like White, Ayinde add more to the future than an outsider might realize. Cigmalia has a bunch of young kickers who will be watching how a successful PK goes about his business. Trust me.

Scubapro

Banned
Yes, there is a mix of the two, but it doesn't change the fact that many are leaving after this season. Many that will play significant roles for us this year. Why are we wasting time with these guys if we can't win with them? Why are we wasting that talent? The truth is that they were brought in to help us win now and its reasonable to expect that we can win with them on the field this year.
This thread moved in discussing transfers.
I think they can all have a positive impact.. IMO sometimes people need a change of environment to flourish. Hopefully Tech give them that change.
For me transfers seem odd because we had so few of them in the past. Most likely due to the Hill's academic restrictions and the progress toward degree constraints of the NCAA One of my favorites was Ken Celaj (sp?) He was a bad MF'er
The transfer portal and NIL are changing things at a lightning pace. This makes the future look daunting especially since Tech has been slow to adapt in the the past.
I feel that we are at a water shed moment similar to when the "one and done era" started in basketball. I think the transfer and NIL will be substantially more disruptive.
Back to the transfers.
If they can come in and contribute, even if just one year, then by all means come aboard.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
For me the question is what went wrong in 2020, and what can be fixed for 2021.

1. Depth issues on the D Line and injuries essentially folded our chances at fielding a competitive Defense. We did things in the secondary that looked foolish and had guys in the middle depth of the defense missing tackles or being out of position because we could not get pressure from our defensive fronts. We also couldn't dictate running lanes so didn't have a good way to play coverages with any safety valve because if we dropped back they gashed us in the running game and if we came forward they hit us with quick slants or deep throws depending on the placement of our deep secondary.

2. Similar story on the OLine. If you can establish a foundation and some space to work in then it is really hard to maneuver. Couple that with a young decision maker at C and QB and you have guys who really needed the time they lost on the practice field due to Covid. Yes, every program faced similar constraints but the elements of their challenge were different. For example look to our Basketball team (all got old and stayed old) when we missed practice time, then limited it further by not having contact at first we stumbled, but we fixed it quickly and synched up based on experience in the system, with the coaches and the players skills and attributes around them.

For me, the story of 2021 is how do the plugged in pieces help us in the trenches on both sides of the ball and cam our guy Sims make the next step in his progression. We will have an actual spring and fall camp this time to establish his reps but also bring along a backup which should help considerably.

3. Throw in the kicking situation getting better with more big dudes for the line, and a kicker with a high trajectory/quicker launch and hope springs eternal.

The scheme questions for me start this year. On Paper, we have what we should need to be able to dictate more the pace and direction of the game. Yes we have a hard schedule, but again that is why for me it is more important to see tangible improvement in what the staff tries to get the guys to do, and how well the players execute it. I am still optimistic we should be able to get to 6 or 7 wins and go bowling.

A 7-8 win season while not barn burning would be on pace with the development I expect we should see.

If we can find a way to get to 8 or 9 regular season wins, I will be cooking crow to order and come looking for some of our esteemed colleagues who I am sure will be more than happy to feast on their well deserved meal.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The transfer portal and NIL are changing things at a lightning pace. This makes the future look daunting especially since Tech has been slow to adapt in the the past.
I feel that we are at a water shed moment similar to when the "one and done era" started in basketball. I think the transfer and NIL will be substantially more disruptive.

I agree 100% and one thing that I feel better about than i have maybe since Homer was here is we have an AD and coaches who seem to recognize it and are trying to get in front of things. That doesn't guarantee success of course but Stan and his staff appear to be playing offense. for years we played defense or simply stuck our heads in the sand and hoped all these bad things would simply go away.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
And the same comment could be made for every RS Sophomore we have on our team, so that's really a non-starter.
I don't think anyone is arguing that we don't have transfer talent that has years left to play. We obviously do. But we also have a significant amount of quality talent that transferred in and this is their last year. If we can't win with those guys then the initial strategy of bringing them in seems questionable. Particularly on the offensive line where 2-3 transfers will start and all will be gone after this year.

In other words, lets not waste them. Let's go ahead and start winning with them. That's what they are here for.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone is arguing that we don't have transfer talent that has years left to play. We obviously do. But we also have a significant amount of quality talent that transferred in and this is their last year. If we can't win with those guys then the initial strategy of bringing them in seems questionable. Particularly on the offensive line where 2-3 transfers will start and all will be gone after this year.

In other words, lets not waste them. Let's go ahead and start winning with them. That's what they are here for.
Look at the comment I responded to. You'll better understand my comment. You have to follow the thread all the way back.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Finally got my Phil Steele in and even though he has us 3rd to last in the conference, said we can pull a few surprises depending on the bounces. Other highlights; Play the 3rd toughest schedule. Improved our D Line tremendously. Still not there yet, obviously, but almost there. All indicators are pointing up. Headed right direction. Top 25 running back group. Top half of conference in recruiting.

Did not see a bowl projection section, but my honest guess is we win anywhere from 3 to 7. I'm feeling we beat NIU, KSU, Duke, Virginia, Boston College, Pitt or VT.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Finally got my Phil Steele in and even though he has us 3rd to last in the conference, said we can pull a few surprises depending on the bounces. Other highlights; Play the 3rd toughest schedule. Improved our D Line tremendously. Still not there yet, obviously, but almost there. All indicators are pointing up. Headed right direction. Top 25 running back group. Top half of conference in recruiting.

Did not see a bowl projection section, but my honest guess is we win anywhere from 3 to 7. I'm feeling we beat NIU, KSU, Duke, Virginia, Boston College, Pitt or VT.
Pretty much how I feel about us. We're headed in the right direction but may not quite be there yet. The schedule is really tough. We should be better and improved but still a year away from a bowl. I'm hope I'm wrong

slugboy

Staff member

Man, the 24 running back groups ahead of us must be amazing

That sounds about right... Bill Connelly also agrees...

Bill Connelly Projected win total: 5.6
Likely wins: KSU (92%), NIU(90%), at Duke (78%)
Relative toss-ups: BC(63%), Pitt (51%), at UVA(47%), VT (45%)
Likely losses: at ND(26%), UNC (23%), UGA (19%), at Miami (14%), at Clemson (8%)

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
That sounds about right... Bill Connelly also agrees...

Bill Connelly Projected win total: 5.6
Likely wins: KSU (92%), NIU(90%), at Duke (78%)
Relative toss-ups: BC(63%), Pitt (51%), at UVA(47%), VT (45%)
Likely losses: at ND(26%), UNC (23%), UGA (19%), at Miami (14%), at Clemson (8%)
Is this guy coming close to saying Georgia and Miami are relatively on par with each other