Expectations for GT Football

Milwaukee

Banned
👆

1611521784535.gif

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I‘m a Collins supporter, but next season there are no excuses. Period. No more talking about youth, no more talking about transfers learning the culture, etc. We will have had the current head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, OLine coach, DB’s coach, RB coach, and WR coach in their 3rd season together. I don’t care about win totals for next year. But we need to look like we actually have coaches. I know that’s a salty statement, but sitting in Bobby Dodd for 4 plus hours watching that Pittsburgh game led many of us to reality. That game was putrid. We lost 34-20 at home on National TV and that score wasn’t indicative of how bad we looked.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I‘m a Collins supporter, but next season there are no excuses. Period. No more talking about youth, no more talking about transfers learning the culture, etc. We will have had the current head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, OLine coach, DB’s coach, RB coach, and WR coach in their 3rd season together. I don’t care about win totals for next year. But we need to look like we actually have coaches. I know that’s a salty statement, but sitting in Bobby Dodd for 4 plus hours watching that Pittsburgh game led many of us to reality. That game was putrid. We lost 34-20 at home on National TV and that score wasn’t indicative of how bad we looked.
And that wasn’t the lowlight of the year. For all talking about progression and improvement this past season, I’m sorry I don’t see enough of it. The Syracuse game was as embarrassing a game as I’ve seen us play. Hoping it gets better but gotta see it to believe in it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We play 3 elite level teams next year (uga, Clemson, and ND). Miami and UNC recruit at the elite level and have much more talent than we do, but they don't play at that elite level. I'll never concede a game until we've lost it, so I'm not going to say any of these teams will beat us next year, but I give us a fighter's chance with Miami and UNC (we've beaten them often enough with the disparity in talent), whereas, with the top 3, many things will need to go right for us to win. I give us more than an even shot with the other 7 teams we play.

As for my expectations, I too expect us to get better each year, to see improvement in each aspect of the game. There was much work to be done, and there is still much work to do, but with all the circumstances we've experienced in the past 24 months, I still think we're a year away from the casual, uniformed fan from seeing the improvement that is actually going on.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We play 3 elite level teams next year (uga, Clemson, and ND). Miami and UNC recruit at the elite level and have much more talent than we do, but they don't play at that elite level. I'll never concede a game until we've lost it, so I'm not going to say any of these teams will beat us next year, but I give us a fighter's chance with Miami and UNC (we've beaten them often enough with the disparity in talent), whereas, with the top 3, many things will need to go right for us to win. I give us more than an even shot with the other 7 teams we play.

As for my expectations, I too expect us to get better each year, to see improvement in each aspect of the game. There was much work to be done, and there is still much work to do, but with all the circumstances we've experienced in the past 24 months, I still think we're a year away from the casual, uniformed fan from seeing the improvement that is actually going on.

IMO, UNC 2019 & 2020 is where I hope to see GT 2022 & 2023. They just had a head start by having the right talent to fit their system whereas we had to retool completely. Mack knows how to coach and we will continue to see them get better, especially with the kind of talent they are bringing in. We still need more depth/experience to get there.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
IMO, UNC 2019 & 2020 is where I hope to see GT 2022 & 2023. They just had a head start by having the right talent to fit their system whereas we had to retool completely. Mack knows how to coach and we will continue to see them get better, especially with the kind of talent they are bringing in. We still need more depth/experience to get there.
Mack doesn’t know how to coach, he knows how to recruit.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't know. The sight of Clemson's punter playing quarterback and getting historically blown out to me was worse but yes, the optics of the Pitt game with "the Handshake" and all was pretty bad. I pray we play better and at least look like a football team otherwise this season has the potential to spiral out of control really quick.

slugboy

Staff member
I think Mack Brown knows how to coach. However, he brought in the father of positionless defense from Army as DC, and an OC who had top 20 offenses at Ole Miss and seems to have ties to high scoring west coast and Big 12 schemes. He's not afraid to bring in assistants "smarter" than he is.

UNC just lost their running backs coach to Alabama today.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That has always been my impression but right off the bat he had that team moving in the right direction whereas his predecessor, for what ever reason, always had teams that looked good getting off the bus and would flounder. Maybe the loss of those two stud running backs and the others will put a crimp in their style this season.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
BCS National Champion Mack Brown doesn't know how to coach. And now he's given life to a previously aimless UNC program. Whatever you say man. I love Geoff Collins but I would take Mack Brown in white and gold on the sidelines literally at the first opportunity.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't know. The sight of Clemson's punter playing quarterback and getting historically blown out to me was worse but yes, the optics of the Pitt game with "the Handshake" and all was pretty bad. I pray we play better and at least look like a football team otherwise this season has the potential to spiral out of control really quick.

We've had a lot of bad looks the last two seasons. I write it off to growing pains on the part of both the players and the staff. Hopefully next year we will be much more competitive.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
BCS National Champion Mack Brown doesn't know how to coach. And now he's given life to a previously aimless UNC program. Whatever you say man. I love Geoff Collins but I would take Mack Brown in white and gold on the sidelines literally at the first opportunity.
My point is that Mack is a superior recruiter but other than his 1 NC he has underperformed over the course of his career. I would love to have him too, but for his recruiting.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I think Mack Brown knows how to coach. However, he brought in the father of positionless defense from Army as DC, and an OC who had top 20 offenses at Ole Miss and seems to have ties to high scoring west coast and Big 12 schemes. He's not afraid to bring in assistants "smarter" than he is.

UNC just lost their running backs coach to Alabama today.
Agree with this. He has been able to attract and pay for whatever assistants he wants. He doesn’t coach in the sense that he’s some genius when it comes to strategy, but he can close in recruiting and can pay for assistants.