Expansion Talk 2021

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
According to your link on the bottom, WVU only spends more than two ACC teams on football, GT and Wake. Athletic budgets are not always a good indicator of what individual items are being funded. After all, until recently GTs budget had two basketball coaches getting paid to breathe.

yes I know, I saw that also but I used it to show they still commit more than us. I would think The bigger consideration in this topic is the AD spent almost 100 million while Tech, a school that I presume you guys think brings something to the ACC, dedicated 75 million. If forming the conference were to occur again I’m not so sure Tech would be invited based on the very logic y’all use.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Never said it would be bad. okay. maybe I did indirectly. But, I think it would take the opportunity away from many. Most student-athletes go pro in something other than the sport they played. Often times the opportunity to go to a school they would never be admitted to, let along be able to afford, would just not be there for these student-athletes. I think it would do far more harm than good.
From my experience scholarships also can ad diversity to the student body and, from my experience, the more diverse the study body the better the overall learning experience is.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
This is what you say (& stand by) right up until you change your mind.

This alliance is all talk & posturing (for now). There is nothing signed ... nor will there be. No legal (contractual) obligation from any conference. For the time being, the 3 conferences have agreed they don't like the direction things are taking with SEC "leading" the football stuff.

I like the things the alliance said they stood for & planned to prioritize. But this is about power (I mean that in a non-negative sense). Therefore, we're seeing political posturing at the leadership level with these conferences. Perhaps the alliance proves to be great for Ga Tech & the ACC. My hunch is at some point somebody (a team, a conference or combo) is going to blink & the house of cards will fall forcing another re-alliance .... & on it will go.

One thing is certain... my grandddady's NCAA is gone gone gone... it ain't never coming back.

exactly. They essentially agreed not to poach each other .

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
yes I know, I saw that also but I used it to show they still commit more than us. I would think The bigger consideration in this topic is the AD spent almost 100 million while Tech, a school that I presume you guys think brings something to the ACC, dedicated 75 million. If forming the conference were to occur again I’m not so sure Tech would be invited based on the very logic y’all use.

Tech has relatively few NCAA sports teams. I'm betting WVU fields teams in sports that we do not, soccer, for instance, which would drive the total expenditure higher.

Just checked. WVU fields 18 teams to GTs 15. Those three extra teams account for some, if not all, of the extra expenditure.

Either way, what is spent by each AA is moot. It's what the teams bring to the negotiating table that matters. GT sits in a huge market and has some history. WVU brings very little to the bargaining table.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Regardless of why, the simple fact is that renegotiating the contract absolutely will bring more money. The going rates figure into the equation. It may not be SEC type money but it’s at least 40 mil per team rather than the current 32. Over the remaining length of the current contract that’s 120 million more than what they get now.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech has relatively few NCAA sports teams. I'm betting WVU fields teams in sports that we do not, soccer, for instance, which would drive the total expenditure higher.

Just checked. WVU fields 18 teams to GTs 15. Those three extra teams account for some, if not all, of the extra expenditure.

Either way, what is spent by each AA is moot. It's what the teams bring to the negotiating table that matters. GT sits in a huge market and has some history. WVU brings very little to the bargaining table.

respectfully disagree, WV dosent spend 100 million on sports if they don't have it. I’m guessing if they had Techs budget they would eliminate 3 sports

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Regardless of why, the simple fact is that renegotiating the contract absolutely will bring more money. The going rates figure into the equation. It may not be SEC type money but it’s at least 40 mil per team rather than the current 32. Over the remaining length of the current contract that’s 120 million more than what they get now.

Renegotiating the contract might bring more total money, but most likely not enough to increase the per team share when adding WVU.

You and I will have to disagree. I'm with the vast majority that thinks WVU brings next to no economic value with them and ESPN doesn't need to budge much. We made a bad deal and we pretty much have to live with it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Once again I ask: Why would ESPN renegotiate? I think ESPN would rather not have 6 or 7 games played at WVU than pay $152 million a year for those 6 or 7 games. (using your 8 additional million for 14 teams, plus 40 million for WVU) I strongly believe that ESPN wouldn't be stupid enough to have a contract that is voided if the ACC invites one other team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It’s starting to become clear to me that the SEC may have made a major mistake in taking in Texas and Oklahoma. A 12 team football playoff was practically a done deal. Now several schools that were once in favor of the expanded playoff have now reversed their decision. The chancellor of West Virginia who initially voted for it now says “college football is too unstable right now to make any changes to the playoffs.”

It appears several schools want assurances that the SEC will not poach anymore teams or attempt to form a super conference and that the Big 12 conference will stay intact and not dissolve. Oklahoma may even consider not joining the SEC if their path to the playoffs is now shut down.

However this turns out the SEC may have weakened their role in college football and caused more problems for themselves.

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s starting to become clear to me that the SEC may have made a major mistake in taking in Texas and Oklahoma. A 12 team football playoff was practically a done deal. Now several schools that were once in favor of the expanded playoff have now reversed their decision. The chancellor of West Virginia who initially voted for it now says “college football is too unstable right now to make any changes to the playoffs.”

It appears several schools want assurances that the SEC will not poach anymore teams or attempt to form a super conference and that the Big 12 conference will stay intact and not dissolve. Oklahoma may even consider not joining the SEC if their path to the playoffs is now shut down.

However this turns out the SEC may have weakened their role in college football and caused more problems for themselves.
Maybe not so much a mistake in taking UT and OU, but when the plan leaked out. The timing of the leak (by TA&M?) has worked against the SEC.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
When I first heard that the SEC was taking Texas and Oklahoma, I thought to myself, the drama in that conference is going to eventually eat them from the inside. I am from Texas and A&M literally hates everything Texas. They feel like the have been put down and tossed aside as the little brother for 100 years. When they left for the SEC, it was a great source of pride for the fans i know. They loved it because they finally had something Texas wanted but couldn't get.

Now with Texas in the fold of the SEC, I would say that A&M probably was the source of the leak just to spite Texas. The back stabbing and politics in the SEC just went through the roof.

Good luck with Texas, SEC, you are going to find out over the next decade why they have destroyed every conference they have been a part of.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The playoff will expand. 10 more things will happen over the next 24 months. There will always be the “next” issue. The SEC isn’t hurt either way. Keep it at 4 and Bama will keep winning because the other 3 who many want to be conference champs will be weak because their conferences are weak. Ohio St and Clemson have clear paths every year to a 4 team playoff. The SEC champ will be battle tested by that point which is why they win. By not expanding you are ensuring the little guy never gets a shot. An undefeated GT Team loses to a 10-2 Clemson team by a field goal in the ACCCG doesn’t get in even though we beat them by 14 in the regular season. And during the ACCCG our starting QB didn’t play due to a minor injury but he would have made it back 2 weeks later for round 1 of the playoffs. Keep it at 4 and the SEC will continue to win Natties at above a 50% clip.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Snoop Dogg said something about Easy E and then something about rapping at your wack *** concerts. The SEC would be Snoop Dogg and you would be Easy E

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The playoff will expand. 10 more things will happen over the next 24 months. There will always be the “next” issue. The SEC isn’t hurt either way. Keep it at 4 and Bama will keep winning because the other 3 who many want to be conference champs will be weak because their conferences are weak. Ohio St and Clemson have clear paths every year to a 4 team playoff. The SEC champ will be battle tested by that point which is why they win. By not expanding you are ensuring the little guy never gets a shot. An undefeated GT Team loses to a 10-2 Clemson team by a field goal in the ACCCG doesn’t get in even though we beat them by 14 in the regular season. And during the ACCCG our starting QB didn’t play due to a minor injury but he would have made it back 2 weeks later for round 1 of the playoffs. Keep it at 4 and the SEC will continue to win Natties at above a 50% clip.
This makes no sense. So battle tested Bama can't lose in a 4 team playoff but if we expand the playoffs to 12 and add the little guys, they are going to have a chance to beat battle tested Bama? Ok.

Bama is going to be extremely difficult to beat in any playoff scenario. That's just who they are. Where this hurts the SEC is that if they can only get 1-2 teams in instead of 4-5 then they are likely losing out on probably 20+ million dollars for the conference.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s not that freaking hard to understand. In an expanded playoff there are more chances for those big schools to lose. With only 4 it’s not. Look at the hoops tourney. Do the top 4 seeds get to the final four every year? And a lot of good teams do not get invited due to early losses who get rolling at the end. Like GT in 2014.