Expansion Talk 2021

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
exactly my point 41 to 16 and the 16 represents arguably the most powerful conference in The NCAA, not gonna stand
Too much drama in all this! The SEC isn't gonna always get it's way. Doubtful the alliance will try (or be capable of) running roughshod over the SEC, either. There are few, if any, governance issues that would cause a major split. Look at the alliance as a counterbalance to, not an opposition against the SEC.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The awe of the big time matchups between OOC powerhouses is only there because they rarely happen. Once they start occurring on a weekly basis it will lose its luster.
Similar to intra-league MLB games. MLB doesn't understand why the All-Star game in totally ignored now, but it used to be the only time of year you could see the best players play against the other league. You were able to see two teams play the other league in the World Series, which isn't as big a draw now either.

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
The overall pie just got bigger with Comcast picking up The ACCN. The ACC pockets a little more revenue without other conferences losing anything. It may be a finite pie, but we ain't there yet.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I actually think the Big 10 is in a better position than many are suggesting. The Big10 currently makes more money per team than the SEC. ESPN owns the media rights to both the SEC and Big 12. The SEC is bringing in the two big players from the Big 12 so ESPN will be shifting money from the Big12 to the SEC (presumably). Let's assume the per team payout of the SEC becomes more than Big 10 payout. Both Fox and ESPN own media rights to Big 10. I could see Fox increasing money to Big10 schools to keep a hold of college football. Big 10 increases per team without having to add anyone. Will SEC get more per team, maybe, probably, but will it be so much more that the OSUs, Michigans, Penn States, Wisconsin switch to the SEC? I doubt it.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It would appear th alliance will
1. do some scheduling amongst alliance teams
2. Vote against 12 team playoff for now
3. Make it clear to SEC that they do not have complete power - I think the alliance is a good idea for all 3 conferences involved, battling on their own they could not compete with SEC on issues but as a group the alliance has leverage

The questions outstanding are how far will the alliance go

1. Will they go so far as to put educational requirements in place - I doubt it
2. Outlaw poaching amongst members conferences in alliance - quite possible
3. Negotiate tv rights together vs individual conferences negotiating tv rights- doubtful given biginteger has larger contract now
4. Require conference championships be included in playoffs- I really think having a team from each region would create more interest in playoffs and be fairer to all teams- I doubt they go this far for the current 4 team playoff but expect alliance will require it for any increase in size of playoffs to 8 or 12 - may also include limits on amount of teams from one conference. Ultimately the size of the playoffs will result in more money for all so will be hard to turn down that money but alliance can assure non-SEC gets their share. SEC has some leverage in that a championship without them is meaningless but it works both ways.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
But more boring for all that, in my opinion. Like the NBA, it's become such a star-driven enterprise that it's not "Tampa Bay vs Atlanta", it's "Can Ryan Finally Get Back at Tom?" If I wanted make-believe drama I'd watch The Bachelor.
I tend to like college sports better but I have to admit that if I had grown up outside the south this would most likely not be the case. We did not have pro teams that our grandparents and great grandparents cheered for. When I did some college work in New Jersey my friends up there absolutely thought of college sports as the “amateur hour” in the worst sense. I could not understand why they couldn’t care less about college sports and they just kind of laughed at me.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
these conversations are circuitous. If regional alliances no longer matter and money is driving the game, shouldn't it be crystal clear that conferences that makes 54 million and 46 million per team apart would make at least a quarter more per team if the best of both combined ? I mean you are right if you judge things as they are but I think a lot of you are simply missing the way it could be.

it’s chocolate and peanut butter

No. There is a finite upper limit of money that can be reasonably spent on the product. The total $$ amount being spent now is near that limit. Adding teams would get you a bigger portion, but each team you add would lessen the overall amount because you edge closer to the upper limit. Other businesses have ran into this problem before. Growth eventually plateaus.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I tend to like college sports better but I have to admit that if I had grown up outside the south this would most likely not be the case. We did not have pro teams that our grandparents and great grandparents cheered for. When I did some college work in New Jersey my friends up there absolutely thought of college sports as the “amateur hour” in the worst sense. I could not understand why they couldn’t care less about college sports and they just kind of laughed at me.

Yeah, for all the positive of "Any Given Sunday", there is some negatives too. It's not a shock when a bottom third team beats the eventual champions in the NFL. But when App State beat Big Blue...that was something to talk about. To be honest I'm not sure where I am with parity. If you have too much, then everyone seems average. When you don't have enough it get's silly and many games aren't worth watching. I think Mama Bear is the right answer...juuuust the right amount of parity so that you have some really good teams that set the standard, but don't go so far that four of the same six always go to the CFP (like now.)

Most importantly, we need to make sure that the suburban school east of Atlanta doesn't ever get a playoff berth!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If this is what you think, then why are you against the ACC, Big10, Pac12 taking on the SEC? If this is what you want the ACC to do, they why describe an alliance to directly counter the SEC as cry babies who just want to try to hurt the SEC?

You are ranting a lot, but I can't follow anything because you seem to keep changing and changing in order to continue as a rant.
I never said I’m against anything. I’ve said if this alliance thinks they can come up with a plan then so be it. I just don’t think it will work. As someone else stated, within the alliance you’ll have issues. Is the Big now gonna be the big dog telling the ACC what to do? That won’t last because hopefully southern schools like GT, FSU, and Miami won’t bow down to some Northwestern or Mich State bureaucrat. Look at what the Big tried to do regarding the virus. They were the first ones screaming to shut it down. That won’t work.

I just think the rush of this alliance is ridiculous. The SEC made a great move for their conference. Swofford should have done this long ago with ND and someone else. Most of my posts have been responding to folks like you who put fake words out there about me. Just because I can say my enemy made a great move doesn’t mean I like them. I don’t like Finebaum but the dude is good at his job. I don’t like Bama, but my god they run an incredible football program which Collins is trying to emulate. I don’t like Sankey but the guy has been money for the SEC.

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Um...a little premature for these comments don't you think? Maybe in the past, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about with at least 1 of the current crowd. Let me introduce you to Mr. Phillips. Not only is he about to bring Comcast into the fold, but I believe he'll also bring Notre Dame in (if it's at all possible). He has strong ties to ND (former Assoc. AD and has 2 kids there, one a student-athlete), and is the best diplomat I've ever spoken with. You should see him navigate little league dad-coaches. Amazing.
Dude, I pray that you are right about Phillips! We need a strong leader who won’t just rollover. The SEC has had a series of great commissioners since they hired Kramer in 1990. The ACC is due for a good one.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The only involvement I could see is state governments mandating state schools play each other regardless of conference affiliation. I think some states already mandate this, but if we were to see conferences break away I could see more states with two major schools in opposing conferences put this into play.
If that were the case OU and Okie State wouldn’t have split. Or Penn Pitt. And A&M Texas for a decade or so. But I see where you are coming from.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If that were the case OU and Okie State wouldn’t have split. Or Penn Pitt. And A&M Texas for a decade or so. But I see where you are coming from.

The issue wouldn't be that they had to be in the same conference, but that they have to play each other. Not all state legislatures would go this route, but some might very well. IIRC, UVA and VT were mandated to play yearly by state law even when VT was in the Big East.

(I may well be misremembering this or attributing this to the wrong teams)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Because their college teams sucked. I went to HS in Connecticut. Football was Jets, Giants, or Pats. Again, if not for fantasy football, NFL would be boring as hell. It doesn't matter which game you watch, the offense and defense is basically the same.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is similar to what I suggested earlier in the thread. The rest of the P5 conferences basically freezing the SEC out. Will be interesting to see how all this plays out. At the end of the day, money talks. This article also highlights how bad the ACC has been with regard to making media deals. ACC has basically F'd itself until 2036.