Expansion Talk 2021

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
My ultimate prediction, if Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC and the ACC doesn't move to get ND and another big market school ( like Baylor) Ga Tech will leave the ACC during The Big 10’s competitive expansion, which the Big 10 will do. The ACC better see it’s future if they don’t expand big that future will mirror the Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma.

The ACC cannot sit by a wait for scraps

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Texas has its on GOR to deal with, the current thinking is that the SEC would help bid out of that agreement, meaning the conference would essentially pay part of a buy out, no reason The Big 10 couldn’t do that for an ACC school they wanted.
The Big 12 GOR expires in 2025. TX and OU are reaching out now to see what their options are, or to leverage a split-tier revenue deal with the remaining B12 schools when the GOR renewal comes up.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
My ultimate prediction, if Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC and the ACC doesn't move to get ND and another big market school ( like Baylor) Ga Tech will leave the ACC during The Big 10’s competitive expansion, which the Big 10 will do. The ACC better see it’s future if they don’t expand big that future will mirror the Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma.

The ACC cannot sit by a wait for scraps

I am starting to come around to this as well... I know there was some strong smoke that GT turned down the Big 10 last go around, but I am about ready to go after the B10. If Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC, it won't be a power 4, it will be a Power 2 and the money gap will be incredibly big.

I would rather be in the B1G in that situation.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
So then there is a playoff with each pods winner to play in the $ec champ and THEN another round of playoffs for the Natty? Getting close to NFL number of games, which since the players are getting paid now isn't the worst thing.
Probably just take top two with best records for championship game b

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I am starting to come around to this as well... I know there was some strong smoke that GT turned down the Big 10 last go around, but I am about ready to go after the B10. If Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC, it won't be a power 4, it will be a Power 2 and the money gap will be incredibly big.

I would rather be in the B1G in that situation.
It's already an incredible gap. Long term, the only way the ACC survives is if ESPN pays for it to survive (Or some other network wants the ACC). And ESPN can barely pay anyone these days.

slugboy

Staff member
If a team were to leave the ACC, Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT, and Louisville would be towards the top of the pecking list. UNC would be too, but they’re old-guard ACC.
Right now, we’re better off with the ACC getting stronger, vs looking for an exit. With the NCAA getting weaker, there might be a lot of fallout. In a game of musical chairs, we aren’t well positioned. If we had big revenues and multiple top 25 teams, it’d be different.
If Notre Dame gets “frightened” or pushed into a conference alignment, B1G has a spot for them. I don’t think a Texas/OU realignment will push Notre Dame into the ACC.
After a day of this, it looks more and more like Texas and Oklahoma have been working on this for a while, and maybe a few backroom conversations have happened. The SEC may have already counted votes in an informal way. You’d have to think that some important people, including some major donors, have been in the know.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Baylor and force ND to join in all sports. Get a presence in Texas for recruiting but Waco is not a great destination. Rice or SMU would be better. How about Tulane. Good academics and who doesn't like New Orleans.

Texas has its on GOR to deal with, the current thinking is that the SEC would help bid out of that agreement, meaning the conference would essentially pay part of a buy out, no reason The Big 10 couldn’t do that for an ACC school they wanted.
So if Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big12, that conference falls apart. That then allows the Big10 to go after WVa, OK St. and Iowa State. That would make more sense than an ACC Team.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do you several of you think anyone wants WVU? It's a terrible school with zero TV market. I guess the AAC would take them but I'm not even sure that's a given. The B1G damn sure isn't going to want them.

WVU makes zero sense for the ACC. None. Period. We've had 25 years of them begging for a spot to just get laughed at. What's changed? If the ACC is going to add anyone, it's going to be about television markets more than anything. Can UCF deliver? Sure but does Miami and FSU already deliver their market? Getting into Texas would be ideal.

No one wants Iowa State either. Possibly Ok-State but you're more likely to See Ok-State, Texas Tech, and two others (Baylor, TCU, Kansas, K-State?) go to the PAC-12, IMO.

Why do you several of you think anyone wants WVU? It's a terrible school with zero TV market. I guess the AAC would take them but I'm not even sure that's a given. The B1G damn sure isn't going to want them.

WVU makes zero sense for the ACC. None. Period. We've had 25 years of them begging for a spot to just get laughed at. What's changed? If the ACC is going to add anyone, it's going to be about television markets more than anything. Can UCF deliver? Sure but does Miami and FSU already deliver their market? Getting into Texas would be ideal.

No one wants Iowa State either. Possibly Ok-State but you're more likely to See Ok-State, Texas Tech, and two others (Baylor, TCU, Kansas, K-State?) go to the PAC-12, IMO.
Texas is too far away and has too many schools to effectively recruit.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Nothing is going to happen to the ACC until the contract renewal in 2034 ish. I also think this might be a power move by both Oklahoma and Texas to negotiate a more favorable distribution from the Big 12 to make up for the difference in revenue that is happening between them and the B1G and SEC.

Or this could just be the beginning of the college football endgame. 4-16 member conferences.

My hope if we do go to 16, is that the ACC would survive, and we would add to the north, and have a true ACC North and ACC South. Its a pipe dream, but Adding ND, and someone like Penn St.

Acc North

NotreDame
Penn St.
Va Tech
Virginia
B.C.
Cuse
Pitt
Acc South
Ga Tech
Clemson
FSU
Miami
Carolina
Duke
Wake
State

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
No reason? B10 told Maryland sorry, you gotta handle that 50M exit fee on your own time (and to be fair, Maryland found a way to navigate through it, but that's another story altogether) So, you think the landscape has changed enough that the B10 is now going to pony up 7 times that or a portion thereof? Ok. So exactly what portion of the $ 350,000,000.00 is the newly benevolent B10 going to belly up for that was exactly ZERO in 2012? Sorry, B10 may do some poaching, but it would be highly highly unlikely to be a current ACC member. ROI and minimum stock purchase will be much more attractive elsewhere.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
If we add ND, either WVa or UCF makes the most sense.

I like UCF but it has to be bigger. The ACC is set in The State of Florida, expansion has to bring big TV money or it’s pointless.

Just watched ESPN broadcast, Finebaum says the deal may be announced in 2 weeks. Both Heather Dinich and Finebaum say it’s the PAC 12 who will be out if the Big 12 collapses. Says it’s already in the tea leaves that the other Big 12 teams will fade into the ACC and Big 10 and the PAC 12 can’t compete with any of those super conferences.

hold onto your hats guys, looks like The ACC is about to get 4-6 more schools

Finebaum says it’s essentially a done deal, 3 super conferences when it’s all over.

Nothing is going to happen to the ACC until the contract renewal in 2034 ish. I also think this might be a power move by both Oklahoma and Texas to negotiate a more favorable distribution from the Big 12 to make up for the difference in revenue that is happening between them and the B1G and SEC.

Or this could just be the beginning of the college football endgame. 4-16 member conferences.

My hope if we do go to 16, is that the ACC would survive, and we would add to the north, and have a true ACC North and ACC South. Its a pipe dream, but Adding ND, and someone like Penn St.

Acc North

NotreDame
Penn St.
Va Tech
Virginia
B.C.
Cuse
Pitt
Acc South
Ga Tech
Clemson
FSU
Miami
Carolina
Duke
Wake
State
Like the idea.....We would have a rough go but everything does not last....look at FSU

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
No reason? B10 told Maryland sorry, you gotta handle that 50M exit fee on your own time (and to be fair, Maryland found a way to navigate through it, but that's another story altogether) So, you think the landscape has changed enough that the B10 is now going to pony up 7 times that or a portion thereof? Ok. So exactly what portion of the $ 350,000,000.00 is the newly benevolent B10 going to belly up for that was exactly ZERO in 2012? Sorry, B10 may do some poaching, but it would be highly highly unlikely to be a current ACC member. ROI and minimum stock purchase will be much more attractive elsewhere.

I think TV deals are so lucrative the cumulative efforts of 16 schools will pay for it. The BIg 10 is already huge it will be bigger, helping buyouts is nothing when you gain so much in the end