Evan Cole to Transfer

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner said on gt 60 that he expects a couple of more people to transfer

My guess would be Price, unless they plan to redshirt him next season. Too many guards for playing time (Alvarado, Devoe, Parham, Maxwell). And probably Didenko. Sjolund entered the portal this season and determined, after a redshirt, he wants to play at Tech. Good decision.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pastner sounds high on the freshmen bigs coming in for their presence on the defensive end.

Meka: Signed him for his defensive prowess. Wants him to concentrate his first year on Defensive/Offensive rebounding, shotblocking, setting screens. In Pastner's words "That's why I signed him"

Saba: 7'1 but has a 7'4 wingspan. Has a lot of physical gifts, but needs to get stronger.

Wright needs to work on his defensive game, and they will work on that during the offseason.

Also mentioned that they have had a defensive All ACC center every year they've been here:

Without saying it, he thinks his staff will get a big ready to take Banks place (see tweet above).

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Barring something unforeseen, none of the options listed above are going to be all ACC defensive centers. And that ain't all bad. It simply means we have to adjust the way we play defense to the realities of our 4 and 5's next year. We will have to double the post and put a lot more ball pressure on to make it hard to get the ball into the post. Also help on the perimeter to stop as many drives as we can before they get to the paint. There is no question it is easier to play D with an all ACC center behind you cleaning up the messes - but most teams can play good defense without that and we will have to learn how to as well.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Barring something unforeseen, none of the options listed above are going to be all ACC defensive centers. And that ain't all bad. It simply means we have to adjust the way we play defense to the realities of our 4 and 5's next year. We will have to double the post and put a lot more ball pressure on to make it hard to get the ball into the post. Also help on the perimeter to stop as many drives as we can before they get to the paint. There is no question it is easier to play D with an all ACC center behind you cleaning up the messes - but most teams can play good defense without that and we will have to learn how to as well.

Keep in mind that the ACC's leading shot blocker this year was a freshman ranked pretty much right around where Gigiberia is ranked. There is more to defense than shot blocks but I wouldn't be surprised if Saba came in here and averaged 1.5 to 2 blocks a game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My guess would be Price, unless they plan to redshirt him next season. Too many guards for playing time (Alvarado, Devoe, Parham, Maxwell). And probably Didenko. Sjolund entered the portal this season and determined, after a redshirt, he wants to play at Tech. Good decision.

Pastner made a "buy in" comment about Price which is interesting.

Was kind about Didenko, but cut himself short about Didenko having the ability to play on this level.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind that the ACC's leading shot blocker this year was a freshman ranked pretty much right around where Gigiberia is ranked. There is more to defense than shot blocks but I wouldn't be surprised if Saba came in here and averaged 1.5 to 2 blocks a game.

If we got Manny Bates level performance out of Saba I would be ecstatic. But he still played 19 min per game in large part due to routine foul trouble and wasn't much help on the offensive end. I don't see Saba eating minutes like Banks and expect that Moses is still going to be the primary 5.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If we got Manny Bates level performance out of Saba I would be ecstatic. But he still played 19 min per game in large part due to routine foul trouble and wasn't much help on the offensive end. I don't see Saba eating minutes like Banks and expect that Moses is still going to be the primary 5.

Bates fouled 73 times in ~524 minutes or about once every 7.2 minutes.
Banks fouled 110 times in ~859 minutes or about once every 7.8 minutes.

Bates fouled more often, and ran into foul trouble, as Banks did. I think part of the issue with Bates is he was told not to worry about fouls and make an impact with his blocked shots. I think NCSU had the idea pretty early that they were going to run mostly Bates and Funderburk separately and so didn't need 30 minutes from Bates. Of course there is probably some chicken or egg to the situation, but I don't think they could have gotten more minutes out of him even with the foul issues.

I don't see Saba getting 30 minutes, but I could easily see him playing 20-25.

Also keep in mind that last year Devoe played 32 mpg as a freshman. Before that Jose played 35 mpg as a freshman. Before that Okogie played 31 as a freshman. I don't think we wanted to play guys that many minutes, but we did so out of necessity and I think we have a similar situation next year. I also disagree with Moses being the primary 5. I don't see us being able to go 30 minutes with him at the 5. I think foul trouble will be an issue as well as rim protection. He'll play there some, but I can't see more than about 15 minutes unless we just decide to go full small ball for a year with Usher as the primary 4.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we play D the way we did this year then sure Moses will have foul trouble. Been trying to say we will have to change the way we play to cover him. Lot of teams have to

Next year we still have major questions - at the 5 and at the 3/4. We expect Moses to be solid and hope Usher will be as well. But that is 2 guys over 3 spots. So if Moore/sjolund or Maxwell/Bubba step up for the wing position then you slide Usher and Moses to the 4/5 and play modern small ball. If Saba is ready to play heavy ACC min then you stay with the current double post. Until I see Saba do it then it is a whole lot more likely one of 4 step up on the wing than Saba is ready for prime time. Though I would fully agree we will see both

As an aside, if you think the strength of our offense is the dribble drive of Jose and DeVoe then a spread 4 out offense makes a lot more sense than 2 in the paint area. Especially if one of the 4 can make 3's. On balance we gain more with 4 out as long as we compensate on D

wreckmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
A disapointment. Surely, Cole will have a lot of offers to transfer. Pastner says he want Cole to stay.
I hope that with assurances of more playing time, Cole will decide to stay at Tech. I can tell (just an opinion)
that he can be a big contributor. With Cole back, along with the others who hopefully will remain, Tech
can be among the top 4 teams in the ACC next season. That is saying a lot since we can only expect that NC
will be back to normal and Syracuse, as usual, will be strong.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
If there is going to be a couple more transfers then I would add Moore to the list of possibilities. He ended the season on somewhat of a high note, but he had a tough year and lost his starting position to Usher. But Price and Didenko sound like the leading suspects.
Sounds like we basically are turning over our bench. That may not be entirely bad as it represents an opportunity to upgrade the roster. I think Cole would be the toughest to replace in the late period.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
If there is going to be a couple more transfers then I would add Moore to the list of possibilities. He ended the season on somewhat of a high note, but he had a tough year and lost his starting position to Usher. But Price and Didenko sound like the leading suspects.
Sounds like we basically are turning over our bench. That may not be entirely bad as it represents an opportunity to upgrade the roster. I think Cole would be the toughest to replace in the late period.
Not only did he lose his starting position, but he lost pretty much all his playing time for long stretches of the season.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be shocked if he played well enough to stay.What a joke.One of these days he will go on a list of Pastner bumbles.
Didenko's recruitment seemed odd, random and out of nowhere. But if I were to compile a list of recruits who did not pan-out, it would be Looooooong list. Cremins was a great recruiter but even he had more that his share, from Antoine Ford to Daryl Barnes to Sergio Lyuke.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally, I look at facial expressions and body language on the bench. I fret over guys who are wearing "The Look." Price played early but his minutes tapered to zero and it didn't look like he was enjoying it. Moore also had periods where he had "The Look." Not Didenko, though. He looked to be enjoying his time on the bench.

But the truth is I don't know squat and I feel a little grimy trying to guess who might be on the outs.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
The way Pastner manages minutes probably doesn't help. Unless you are one of the top 5-6, you can easily go from 20/game to DNP. I would not be surprised if Moore or Price looked for more consistent playing time somewhere else.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why are y'all thinking Price would be a candidate?

Well, I would say that Jose, Mike, Jordan, Bubba, and Moses are pretty close to locks to stay. Supposedly Sjolund basically committed to staying for the long term after his overture in the fall. With Cole transferring, and apparently having more being expected that leaves Moore, Price, and Didenko as options and pretty much all of them have been listed.