ESPN: Too-early Atlantic and Coastal Division winners

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I don't worry about schedules. I really don't. The way I see it, eventually, you are going to have to beat the best anyway if you want to be a champion. We are a good team now. We should be a good team next fall. Let's just play the games and see where we stand.
But beat the best when and where? At home or on the road? On a short week of rest/practice or after a bye? During midterms or finals week? At noon or Thursday (or Monday) night? These do factor into the eventual outcomes of games. It is impossible to determine how big a factor they are and everyone wants the team to perform to the best of their capabilities despite any such factors, but they still make an impact. And when parity reigns then small differences can be magnified.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
As always injuries will be key. We had them this year exactly where we could afford them eg a and b backs and not on d line where we were thin. B back depth worries me this year

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looking back at GT football for the last 70 years, it is very rare for a team that finished one year with a Power Rnaking of 80% or more to do as well the next year. A few bad bounces or injuries or schedule (travel to Miami one week and BYU the next) can prevent doing as well. I don't like being picked to win, but it comes with getting better as a program.

I just intend to enjoy the team like this year and hope they get better all season like they did this year. We have a lot of new starters and think our D should be ready for a stretch run. I still think 2016 is the year when we should be in real contention -- probably for a 8 team playoff by then.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
What the interior D-Line was able to accomplish with basically "3" DT's most of the season once Gamble was moved to SDE was nothing short of impressive. In fact I can still remember Gamble going off the field on that little chariot only to return and play the following week. The kid is a warrior. It's time for Kallon to step and take Shawn's place and with JHD and some freshman DT's coming in to go along with the players in the program. This defense will improve.

Once again GT will be overlooked but that is okay. Just don't tell anyone about the kids and depth returning on the O-Line as that needs to be kept secret. Frankly I'm excited to see what the new B-backs will do running behind an experienced O-Line with Justin pulling the TO. Receivers will step up and play just like they have every year under the coaching of Buzz Preston. Heck, we even turned a relief pitcher into a feared WR inside of one season of football.

slugboy

Staff member
Way, way too early. No Spring practices, no Spring grades, no signing day yet. I'm optimistic, but I didn't know what kind of team we had this year until the Miami game.

They don't seem to think too much of FSU, who has yet another highly regarded recruiting class coming together.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.......They don't seem to think too much of FSU, who has yet another highly regarded recruiting class coming together.

One of these years, Clemson is due to beat FSU. They can't Clemson ever year. Talking with Clemson fans in Beaufort SC last weekend, they were all pretty depressed about their long term chances with FSU in the way. I think they win the Atlantic, just to throw salt in the wound when they lose to the Coastal champ. Now that would be real Clemsoning.

slugboy

Staff member
One of these years, Clemson is due to beat FSU. They can't Clemson ever year. Talking with Clemson fans in Beaufort SC last weekend, they were all pretty depressed about their long term chances with FSU in the way. I think they win the Atlantic, just to throw salt in the wound when they lose to the Coastal champ. Now that would be real Clemsoning.
I was feeling that way with VT and Miami. It would be awkward to let Duke take ownership of the division.
Clemson can beat FSU and should have this year. They lost a coach or two this year though, and that might hurt.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was feeling that way with VT and Miami. It would be awkward to let Duke take ownership of the division.
Clemson can beat FSU and should have this year. They lost a coach or two this year though, and that might hurt.

If Fluke takes "ownership" of Coastal, then we should go to Division 2 or disband the program.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

GT gets 3 out of 4 votes for the Coastal. VT grabs the 4th. Clemson unanimous in the Atlantic.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/79356/too-early-atlantic-and-coastal-division-winners

Saw this over on Rumble Seat. ESPN owning up:

"The ACC blog over at ESPN just released a post detailing their best and worst of 2014, with the worst being picking Tech to finish sixth in the ACC Coastal. It really doesn't get much better than hearing ESPN writers talk about how wrong they were about your favorite team, so be sure to bask in the glory before they inevitably pick us to finish at the bottom of the league yet again. They set the expectations and we exceed them. That's just how it goes."

It feels soooooo good!

Greenjackets

Georgia Tech Fan
Va Tech plays NC State at home from the Atlantic in 2015. Their permanent Atlantic matchup is Boston College. I don't see BC being a tougher matchup than Clem for years to come. Va Tech will have the scheduling advantage for the foreseeable future. If we don't win the coastal but beat the mutts that will still be a great season.