ESPN: Position that needs improvement: Georgia Tech

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Nowhere to go but up. I've decided that while that phrase may be true, it is also true that going from 108th ranked to 107th ranked is going up, though it hardly meets the level of improvement implied by the phrase. We've heard this tune for several seasons now. While I'm confident that the trajectory for the defense is pointing up, I'm just not sure about the angle or the launch velocity.

The defense needs a pretty big boost in its basic performance level for the team to reach double digit wins again. The team turnover margin will probably come back close to zero, there probably won't be any forced fumbles at the goal line next season, and the offense will certainly regress a bit from its near record setting 3rd down performance.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Nowhere to go but up. I've decided that while that phrase may be true, it is also true that going from 108th ranked to 107th ranked is going up, though it hardly meets the level of improvement implied by the phrase. We've heard this tune for several seasons now. While I'm confident that the trajectory for the defense is pointing up, I'm just not sure about the angle or the launch velocity.

The defense needs a pretty big boost in its basic performance level for the team to reach double digit wins again. The team turnover margin will probably come back close to zero, there probably won't be any forced fumbles at the goal line next season, and the offense will certainly regress a bit from its near record setting 3rd down performance.

Why?

slugboy

Staff member
I'm not sure why we're expecting so much out of our incoming freshman immediately when we've got some redshirt players (and players like Whitehead) who've been getting ready for a year or more.

It took KeShun half the year to get on the field last season. Since our schedule is back-loaded, maybe that works out well to get more players ready for the big games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why we're expecting so much out of our incoming freshman immediately when we've got some redshirt players (and players like Whitehead) who've been getting ready for a year or more.

It took KeShun half the year to get on the field last season. Since our schedule is back-loaded, maybe that works out well to get more players ready for the big games.
I liked how much experience a lot of our young players got in the Orange Bowl. That had to help them on several levels, not just the competition level but the motivation to get back to another big bowl game this season.

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan

Because negative Tech fan is negative. Last year, after three games, there were otherwise perfectly sensible people pondering whether the bowl streak would continue. I don't know if this happens with other teams, but a very noticeable and loud portion of the Tech fanbase is always 100% convinced that the worst case scenario will come to pass. Will the offense regress? Probably, although it's possible to regress and still be the best offense in the country. Will the defense improve? It almost has to, and while yes, 108th to 107th would be a technical improvement, I don't think that's the most likely scenario. It's ok to believe that the team is good, people.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's ok to believe that the team is good, people.
That's right! Breathe in, breathe out, smile and let yourself begin to believe that you are good enough and smart enough and people like you.

Tech may not have been the best team in the country last year but they could hang with anyone. Not only nothing to be ashamed of, Tech promises to show more of the same this season.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
That's right! Breathe in, breathe out, smile and let yourself begin to believe that you are good enough and smart enough and people like you.

Tech may not have been the best team in the country last year but they could hang with anyone. Not only nothing to be ashamed of, Tech promises to show more of the same this season.

Ain't it the flipping truth!!!! :D

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

He was a starter by game 3.

He really made a impact from the start...4 tackles vs Wofford, Sack vs Tulane, 4 tackles vs GSU, 5 tackles and a half sack vs VT, 1 sack vs Miami, 6 tackles vs Duke.

In the first 6 games he had 22 tackles and 2.5 sacks.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

He really made a impact from the start...4 tackles vs Wofford, Sack vs Tulane, 4 tackles vs GSU, 5 tackles and a half sack vs VT, 1 sack vs Miami, 6 tackles vs Duke.

I wonder what "getting on the field" means nowadays.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
..........The team turnover margin will probably come back close to zero, there probably won't be any forced fumbles at the goal line next season, and the offense will certainly regress a bit from its near record setting 3rd down performance.

Fumble recoveries do regress back to 50% of those lost, but if you defend a lot more passes and force a lot more fumbles, you will consistently have a positive turnover ratio.

I was going to do a lot of work (again) on this but here is a fabulous Bill Connelly article that shows that while we were a little lucky this year, 8.7 of our 11 turnovers were "earned". So we are likely to only get +9 turnovers next year if we play the same. As long as we do it against UGAg, I'm fine!

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/1/30/7947287/college-football-turnover-luck-2014-tcu-oklahoma

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member

Well, guess I got that wrong.